Worst Song U2 has written?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I didn't get that from reading the book.

You didn't read the whole book. End of story.

(I did in fact elaborate on the line in a later post.)

But back on topic, I don't suppose a song that generates this much discussion can be all that bad or even close to their "worst song". So scratch ES from the list. I just don't like the chorus much.

i'm surprised that more people don't have the complete utter disdain for babyface that i do.

See, for me, 'Babyface' is one of those U2 songs that's entirely average -- neither exceptionally good or bad. It's just sort of there. I'm kind of baffled as to why so many people hate on it.

(Before you say, "It's creepy!", can I just add that's it about the most obviously ironic lyric they've ever done, as per everything they were doing at that time.)

See, for me, 'Babyface' is one of those U2 songs that's entirely average -- neither exceptionally good or bad. It's just sort of there. I'm kind of baffled as to why so many people hate on it.

(Before you say, "It's creepy!", can I just add that's it about the most obviously ironic lyric they've ever done, as per everything they were doing at that time.)

I wasn't going to say it's creepy. I was gonna say it sucks. Hard.

i'm surprised that more people don't have the complete utter disdain for babyface that i do.

also, considering as we've done countless polls and battles about what the best u2 song/album is, perhaps we should do one for the WORST song to see exactly what u2 fans think is the cream of the, um, shite.

we have. it was Viva Davidoff.

yeah i just listened to it on youtube for the first time... how the fuck was the that interference's pick for U2's worst song? it's better than about five songs on Passengers alone.
the problem was once you got to passengers, so many people on here haven't heard the album or have only heard ms and maybe ybr. and i mean that's fine, i'm not ragging on people for that. buuuuuut i wouldn't go and vote on an album having only heard the hits/mainstream tracks. so there were tons of people voting and only a fraction had actually heard the entire album. and then the b-sides rounds were just as bad because again, people would only vote for what they'd heard.

so add passengers song + b-side = omg it must suck.

viva davidoff isn't some amazing piece of work but like you said, there's at least a few songs in u2's repertoire that are worse.

the most recent survivor i did, while turnout was comically low, was more representative i think just because you didn't have people click and run. if you have to make a post, or even worse (like my most recent one) take the time to e-mail or pm, people who don't rcognise every track most likely won't bother.

Yeah, honestly if we were to do that again it would probably be best to not include Passengers. It's just by far the album that people are least familiar with. We'd already know the final result before it started: the winner (or loser, in this case) would undoubtedly be something from Passengers.

That thread is funny to look at, if only because there's a post there on the first page from a 12 year old LMP.

the problem was once you got to passengers, so many people on here haven't heard the album or have only heard ms and maybe ybr. and i mean that's fine, i'm not ragging on people for that. buuuuuut i wouldn't go and vote on an album having only heard the hits/mainstream tracks. so there were tons of people voting and only a fraction had actually heard the entire album. and then the b-sides rounds were just as bad because again, people would only vote for what they'd heard.

so add passengers song + b-side = omg it must suck.

viva davidoff isn't some amazing piece of work but like you said, there's at least a few songs in u2's repertoire that are worse.

the most recent survivor i did, while turnout was comically low, was more representative i think just because you didn't have people click and run. if you have to make a post, or even worse (like my most recent one) take the time to e-mail or pm, people who don't rcognise every track most likely won't bother.

i say we do it again but only with albums and major releases, i.e. movie singles, greatest hits add ons, etc.

b-sides and passenger songs are cheating.

perhaps even take the two least favorite songs to the final round so we can get a top 10 list of shite.

what intelligence is needed to say that i think a song blows?

None whatsoever, which is exactly my point.

i find it to be a terrible, god awful piece of monkey crap that makes my ears hurt.

I think you've already clarified that. What I'm interested in is not your rehashing your opinion, but rather your explaining -- in the best terms you can -- why you loathe this particular song so much. I'm quite interested, because, as I said, a lot of people here hate that song, but I don't understand why. I don't really find anything "hate-able" about it.

Elvis Presley and America.

Game. Set. Match.

I said this earlier, too, and I still stand by it. This song came up on my iTunes shuffle setting and I let it go for a while, but then I got sick of it and thought, "How long is this song, anyway?" It's 6:23. Over six minutes! :crack: I actually couldn't stand to listen to it any longer. That almost never happens for me with a U2 song, so it must be bad. They should never have allowed this song on the album! The UF bonus disk has several really excellent songs that could easily have gone on the album instead, but NO!

:doh: :doh: :doh:

Back
Top Bottom