Which one is U2's signature song?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think a signature needs to be appreciated by hardcore and casual fans as well as the "man on the street", therefore it has to be Streets. Pride gives it the closest run for its money.
Regarding the Stones, I'm quite a big fan, (pre 1972) and I'd have to say that their signature tune is either atisfaction or Jumping Jack Flash, it makes this grown man cry (tears of blood) when anyone suggests it could be start me up.

When it comes to us "hardcore"-fans, then I'd say definitely Streets.

When it comes to the more broader audience there's many choices. SBS is pretty known here in Sweden, WOWY and Beautiful Day are two other songs everyone recognises (although a few I know thought WOWY was a Coldplay-song). One also belonged here as well, but since 2006 most people have thought this is a Mary J Blige-song. :doh:

I would say Streets, but it owes so much to the live version, especially since Zoo TV.

WOWY and I still haven't found what I'm looking for, with One right next to them.

Definitely Streets. No question.

Of course, One, Beautiful Day, COBL, and Vertigo are the only four U2 songs that have been played at every single concert since their introductions, but I don't think any of them are U2's signature song.

I'd say Streets is number one, then WOWY, then One, then BD.

I think signature songs of U2 mostly are One, Where the streets..., With or without you.

U2 is trying to make One happen, but Streets has and always will be the song people associate with U2 live performances. It's consistently the showstopper, it consistently moistens the eyes of concert-goers, it's consistently fucking awesome.

For fans it is Streets, no doubt, but as for the general public I'm not so sure, the teenagers I work with seem to think that it is Vertigo or Get On Your Boots (it was a hit here last year), most of my friends who are not fans if asked would say With Or Without You or One, some older people remember Sunday, Bloody Sunday.

U2 is trying to make One happen, but Streets has and always will be the song people associate with U2 live performances. It's consistently the showstopper, it consistently moistens the eyes of concert-goers, it's consistently fucking awesome.

I agree.....there just seems to be something magical about Streets.

It's probably the most waited song on a U2 tour. The anticipation even builds up when you see the screen filled with red and the organ sounding in the background (or whatever synth noise you hear). As in the words of Bono (I think), "It feels like God walked in the room".

Among U2 fans, I think Streets puts up a pretty good case. Among the public in general though, I might make a case for With or Without You. One maybe.

Id say Streets....because it was well ahead of its time...and a sound that a lot of people have tried to copy since but havent been able to create the magic of the original(including U2 with Magnificent)

Although if I were to consider a better opener, Zoo Station has to be it.

I can't really imagine a better concert opener than that. It may really go down as their most underestimated song.

Back
Top Bottom