Where are all the U2 fans?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Also, might be obvious but, why does everyone hate Bono so much? Why is it hip to dislike someone who is making a difference in the world? Why are people such morons?

I take exception with this, only because I think I think it's ridiculous that you would call someone a moron for disliking someone that you like. If someone hates Bono publicly (but secretly likes him or is indifferent) because it's the "hip" thing to do then, yes, they are morons that don't warrant your time.

But there are people out there that dislike Bono for a variety of reasons, and all are legitimate, in my opinion. He's lovable to us, but to many his actions grate on people. And Bono makes it easy for some to hate him with some of his actions, whether or not he's making a positive difference in the world. As much as some of the more....ardent supporters on this site claim, Bono is not God, he is not infallible. He is human and subject to criticisms as much as the next person.

In sum, if people hate Bono, who cares? What matters is that you like him.

Solution: Western Canada

I live in western Canada now, but be that as it may, the real solution for her is to move to Montreal. There's a plethora of fans there. :D

Well, I know some diehard fans, fans who have been there from the 80's and I also know a few young fans, most of them teenagers as I work with them, but I really think that people don't usually like to talk about these things in public, they feel vulnerable, you let other people critise you because of your likes, especially when we talk about a band that, as U2, has always been political and socially charged and therefore controversial. Bono's activism hasn't made the band any favour, above all from the famous pic with later Pres. Bush on, and yet some others accuse him of doing everything just to sell more records (it's not a criticism of Bono's other job, I admire him for it too).

Most people I know will do everything in their power to go to a U2 concert, but I'm not so sure they will declare themselves fans, except if they're talking to other fans.

I'm 26 and I have come across some old U2 fans who lost their way around Achtung Baby and I'm trying to rope them back in with NLOTH. It seems to be working. Also trying to squeeze a little AB love in there because it's one of my favorite albums and needs to be heard.

It's always been highly unpopular to like U2 in my age group, especially because I was so young when I got into them back in 1988. I go to all my U2 shows alone because no one I know is a big enough fan to stand in GA lines all day or fly to another state to see them, like I do. I've met some great people along the way though and sometimes that's more fun. It would be fun to have some U2 fans around me...but so far, I haven't had much luck.

I know the feeling, most of my friends hate U2 and can't stand it when I talk about them and think I'm really weird for liking them. I've been counting down to NLOTH and they're all highly annoyed...now whenever I say "guess what guys?" they'll say "some stupid U2 thing?" :|

Also, I can't count the number of times I've been told that I'm "too young" to like U2. I suppose I am a lot younger than some fans but that's not gonna stop me from loving the music and going to concerts!

Luckily, I'm in a family of U2 fans, so I'll probably end up bringing my cousin with me to shows and he's awesome.

yah it's strange, I'm 47 and dont't know or have never know a single person who is as big a U2 fan as I am, yet everyone says "they LOVE U2" when pressed. It's almsot as though they are embarassed. On the other hand I have an impossible time getting tickets to shows, end up paying scalper through the nose.. .. .. it sucks.

I take exception with this, only because I think I think it's ridiculous that you would call someone a moron for disliking someone that you like. If someone hates Bono publicly (but secretly likes him or is indifferent) because it's the "hip" thing to do then, yes, they are morons that don't warrant your time.

But there are people out there that dislike Bono for a variety of reasons, and all are legitimate, in my opinion. He's lovable to us, but to many his actions grate on people. And Bono makes it easy for some to hate him with some of his actions, whether or not he's making a positive difference in the world. As much as some of the more....ardent supporters on this site claim, Bono is not God, he is not infallible. He is human and subject to criticisms as much as the next person.

In sum, if people hate Bono, who cares? What matters is that you like him.

I don't think Bono is God but it just annoys me that people are like "He makes philanthropy look douchey; what an asshole" (real quote). What does that even mean? People never seem to elaborate, they just seem to hate him because ...because what? Because he's helping people? I have heard the "oh he's a hypocrite" argument, but who cares? I agree that it could be seen as hypocritical to be a millionaire and hounding governments for money for the poor while not (publicly at least) donating any yourself. Even Bono himself would acknowledge that. So I can see that as a valid point. However, isn't it better than him doing nothing at all? I personally don't think millionaires are obligated to give money or do humanitarian work anymore than you or I; but it sure helps a lot if they do. I guess because he's in the public eye so much is why he annoys people. I dunno.

Sure it only matters if I like him or whatever, but it's annoying to get negative responses anytime I mention Bono or U2. It's not like I even bring them up that often, but when I do I always wish I hadn't. It shouldn't have to be that way, y'know? It just gets to me sometime. It may sound dumb but Bono has been my hero since I was like 9 when I didn't even pronounce his name correctly. I just though he was sooo cool, but apparently he's sooo not. Like I said, mention Radiohead here and everyone goes nuts. Radiohead is easily one of my favourite bands, but the worship they get by "hipsters" is ridiculous. I got dragged to the movie Twilight and 15 Step played during the credits. I think Radiohead officially lost their indie cred. But hey, that's another topic entirely.

Well from this thread it sounds like my main problem is I'm too young. It's just unfortunate that kids my age appreciate classic rock from the 60's and 70's (dunno about the 80's, though as I said most of the people I meet who do like U2 like their 80's stuff) and EVERYONE loves the 90's (since we grew up in them!) but no one appreciates U2. Oh well. I guess the biggest band in the world is a cult band in a way. How strange.

I can relate to all that has been said here. :lol:

In terms of ticket sales, I think a big percentage are bought by people who only like the band a little (own a greatest hits and an album or two) or people just wanting to have a good time. That's just the reality for big acts.

I know U2 fans and many of them were made U2 fans by HTDAAB!

(I'm now 19) First I saw the Vertigo iPod ad and I saw the music video one time and I HAD TO HAVE THAT CD. I got it for Christmas and then my brother and I really got into U2. From there, my three younger cousins both bought HTDAAB and also became U2 fans. Through the course of it all, my dad and my uncle have become "casual" U2 fans because they've heard so much of what we play and love Vertigo, Beautiful Day, etc. In addition to that, two family friends have since really gotten into U2 because of our discovering U2 as well. So in total, because I loved Vertigo and really started loving U2 in 2004-2005, 8 other people in my family/group of close friends have become U2 fans ranging from hardcore to casual. 5 of them will be buying No Line on the first day :wink:

Also, since I've come to University I've met a couple other young U2 fans. I am an RA in a dorm :)|) and so I get to meet all the people on my floor. Two of my residents are big U2 fans and both like GOYB and have talked to me about the new CD without me prompting the discussion. Also, another one of the RA's I work with is a U2 fan. We did a music exchange thing and we had to fill out a list of our favorite music. He listed How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb as one of his favorite CD's.

I know it gets trashed a lot on this forum, but I think HTDAAB is a beloved album by many, many younger U2 fans and it has led a lot of people to discover or return to caring about U2. :up:

The sad part about this story is my girlfriend hates U2, hates GOYB, and always complains when I try to play one of their CD's when we are doing homework :huh:

She likes The Killers, Coldplay, and Keane, but doesn't like U2 because "I don't like their style of music." :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I know U2 fans and many of them were made U2 fans by HTDAAB!

(I'm now 19) First I saw the Vertigo iPod ad and I saw the music video one time and I HAD TO HAVE THAT CD. I got it for Christmas and then my brother and I really got into U2. From there, my three younger cousins both bought HTDAAB and also became U2 fans. Through the course of it all, my dad and my uncle have become "casual" U2 fans because they've heard so much of what we play and love Vertigo, Beautiful Day, etc. In addition to that, two family friends have since really gotten into U2 because of our discovering U2 as well. So in total, because I loved Vertigo and really started loving U2 in 2004-2005, 8 other people in my family/group of close friends have become U2 fans ranging from hardcore to casual. 5 of them will be buying No Line on the first day :wink:

Nice job! I converted one of my best friends back in the day but then his bitchy girlfriend stole him away and they moved to Utah, and now we don't talk anymore. Yeah. My little brother and sister sing along to Vertigo. I converted my room mate a long time ago, like back in middle school. That's about it in terms of U2 conversions on my part.

Also, since I've come to University I've met a couple other young U2 fans. I am an RA in a dorm :)|) and so I get to meet all the people on my floor. Two of my residents are big U2 fans and both like GOYB and have talked to me about the new CD without me prompting the discussion. Also, another one of the RA's I work with is a U2 fan. We did a music exchange thing and we had to fill out a list of our favorite music. He listed How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb as one of his favorite CD's.

That's awesome! If I may ask, what university do you attend? I'm at Indiana University.

I know it gets trashed a lot on this forum, but I think HTDAAB is a beloved album by many, many younger U2 fans and it has led a lot of people to discover or return to caring about U2. :up:

I didn't know that. But cool! :D

The sad part about this story is my girlfriend hates U2, hates GOYB, and always complains when I try to play one of their CD's when we are doing homework :huh:

She likes The Killers, Coldplay, and Keane, but doesn't like U2 because "I don't like their style of music." :lol::lol::lol::lol:

LOL. That is funny.

I think I actually underestimated the amount of people I know that like U2. Most of the ones I'm thinking of aren't people I associate much with anymore though. Anyway, none of them are diehard like me. I don't know anyone close to my level.

I was talking to my cousin the other weekend and when he found out I was a huge U2 fan he laughed. And then he said " I've always wondered who liked them. They seem to sell a lot of tickets and CD's but I've never met anyone who said they liked them!". Well after talking a little more it turns out that Sunday Bloody Sunday was the first song he ever bought on itunes. My younger brother is the same way. he makes fun of me for liking the band but then we we talk about specific songs he admits to liking them. Don't ask me why but I think a lot of people don't realize that they like U2.

I have only met 2 other people who are big fans..... and admit it.

I have my own Hackney Carriage Taxi, just recently I was playing NLOTH pre-release:wink: & had many favourable comments from customers who didn't know who it was, but said they really liked whatever song was on at the time. When I work on Fri/Sat nights, if ever I'm playing U2 I always get favourable comments about the group, of course, every once in a while some cloth-eared idiot will say "I F***ing hate U2" at which point I turn up the volume, & drive on.

Two blocks down the Oasis ones... when you see a Burger King - in case Bono is not eating there - turn left, they will all probably be right next to the Coldplay ones.

I can relate to all that has been said here. :lol:

In terms of ticket sales, I think a big percentage are bought by people who only like the band a little (own a greatest hits and an album or two) or people just wanting to have a good time. That's just the reality for big acts.

tru dat :yes:

I'm an 80's chick and I have a few friends who would all come willingly to a concert with me . . . but only 1 mate who is close to as nutty about them as me . . .most of my friends just tolerate my obsession . . .and warn newcomers not to bring up the bands name or disparage bono / the band after i've one tipple too many . . . apparently i'm less than pretty :huh: :lol:

having said that, (and not withstanding the odd tipple or two) could not really give a wahooootyfandango about what anyone else thinks . . .their music makes me happy, takes me to a place where i feel free and that is that :up:

I've met several folks at work that are fans bc I told them I was going to Vertigo, but most are my age or are older and a lot of my family likes U2 mildly, but mostly bc I talk to them about them all of the time and keep them up to date. I think it's going to be harder and harder for them to attract younger fans bc it's hard for folks say 15-25 to relate to someone who could be there dad and the folks that are still with them were captured at that age mainly during JT and AB! I just hope they have enough fans to keep them going for another 10 years or so bc I want more records!!! Only speaking from a US standpoint ofcourse, I think there are more rabid fans in Europe, SA and Australia!

I've never met a U2 fan here either and I'm in Ireland :lol:

Everyone I know hates Bono, I don't ask about U2 because I'm uncool enough as it is

One thing I can't stand about the hatred of Bono and what he does for Africa is that if one person is alive because of him, isn't that worth all the annoyance he causes? (I read that in the paper and found it incredibly true). Sure Bono is annoying but seriously one life is all it would take to make up for all of that a hundred times over

No other U2 fan besides me in my country as well:wave:. Most of people I know don't hate U2 they just aren't interested in them. I have friends who listen to Coldplay but they've never given chance to U2. I don't know , do U2 fans have some other planet from which they go on Earth when there are concerts and who are buying all CDs or what... it's weird.

Most people hate U2 because they only think of U2 as being Bono and they think hes an egotistical bastard. This has been the same since the 80s, even during the Joshua Tree and ZooTV days there was plenty of hating for U2 because people didnt like Bono or Boner as a lot of the haters call him :)

I'm in Ontario, Canada, and for months after their Vertigo shows in this area, whenever I'd wear my tour shirt out, it was amazing how many people of all ages commented on it, asking me how I ever managed to get tickets, and then saying they would have loved to have gone. I doubt that they all were hardcore fans, but they at least had more than a passing interest in the band.

My then 17 year old daughter is pretty hardcore, travelled and went to all the shows with me, slept on the pavement in GA, etc...and a bunch of her friends are fans, too. Not to the extent that we are, but they certainly like them. Then again, U2 are very popular in this area, they get plenty of radio airplay even between albums, and stuff like that.

On every other forum I read, if there is ever a topic like "bands everyone else likes that you don't get" or "bands you used to like but dont anymore" without a doubt most replies will be about u2, and nobody will ever admit to liking u2. it's weird, it's like the cool thing to do now is be anti-u2.

One thing I can't stand about the hatred of Bono and what he does for Africa is that if one person is alive because of him, isn't that worth all the annoyance he causes? (I read that in the paper and found it incredibly true). Sure Bono is annoying but seriously one life is all it would take to make up for all of that a hundred times over

Exactly.

w00t

purdue sucks

Exactly.

Ive given up on bringing U2 up to people because I always just wind up defending them. Its their loss.

Do you know how many times ive heard "no one likes u2, theyre terrible"?!

On every other forum I read, if there is ever a topic like "bands everyone else likes that you don't get" or "bands you used to like but dont anymore" without a doubt most replies will be about u2, and nobody will ever admit to liking u2. it's weird, it's like the cool thing to do now is be anti-u2.

It very much is. I have a U2 sticker on my car and I always hear comments about how U2 sucks or how could I possibly like them.

I chalk it up to Bono's fraternization with politicians who aren't very favorable in the public's eyes and ignore it.

I think a lot of the musicians I like are ridiculous, but that doesn't stop me from liking the music.

It very much is. I have a U2 sticker on my car and I always hear comments about how U2 sucks or how could I possibly like them.

I chalk it up to Bono's fraternization with politicians who aren't very favorable in the public's eyes and ignore it.

I think a lot of the musicians I like are ridiculous, but that doesn't stop me from liking the music.

I hear that quite a lot but I just respond with the fact that yes nobody likes them thats why theyve been around for 30+ years and have some of the biggest grossing tours and albums in the history of music.

Also a lot of people like to listen to music that is the flavour of the month, which is fine in the days of MP3 and the Internet age but back when MP3s wearnt so available....those CDs could be used as a coaster to put your drink on after they were never listened to again :)

The one thing going for U2 is they probably have the biggest hardcore fanbase in the world and that includes us so we can always keep them going...I would say there is about 5 million hardcore fans in the world and that is more albums then most bands could dream of selling.

I will also say that U2s fanbase in general is one of the smartest most educated bunch around :)

Back
Top Bottom