Uber version

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think the book would cost more than $10 too.

Still haven't decided where I'll get it, but I know I want that damned Uber madness. I was in Best Buy yesterday so I had a guy pull it up on the computer to see what their story will be. He said they don't get it until Nov 8th. (that's kind of late isn't it?) and it was still just over $400. He was a bit shocked and wanted to know which piece of Bono you get for that price. I told him you get his shades. He didn't think that was enough.

So I'm still not sure where or when to get it, but I want it. :reject:

I would be upset if they didn't have so many versions, if it was only one or the other. But, I think, they have a variety.....so I'm ok with it. I'm getting the uber version - it's what I chose as a Christmas present. So my husband and kids are all putting in for it. I'm definitely not in the 1% - just a fan that really, really wants it!!:drool:

I would be upset if they didn't have so many versions, if it was only one or the other. But, I think, they have a variety.....so I'm ok with it. I'm getting the uber version - it's what I chose as a Christmas present. So my husband and kids are all putting in for it. I'm definitely not in the 1% - just a fan that really, really wants it!!:drool:

Same here. :up:

I am thankful that I didn't have to get the Uber. Its a great looking package, but I'll be happy to have all the same audio and visual that it can offer with the SD version. U2 wins in my book for doing this right since it is all about the music in the end. 10 discs for $100 off amazon ca was the best bang for bucks ever!

Can't wait for the damn thing. :hyper:

See, this is the thing that bugs me. No one is being "fleeced," and U2 is not "catering to the 1%" when you can get the actual substances of the release for $125.

Obviously, someone who's struggling to make ends meet isn't even going to have money for that, but again - it's not like there are only two versions of this available (bare bones version and the ridiculous version).

I keep forgetting Canada's Amazon site had it for 300. That was slightly more tempting, but still wasn't worth it to me. I'm already able to get everything I wanted for 125.

we're complaining about the uber version though aren't we, which isn't $125... the leap to 400-ish dollars is a whopping amount of money to charge for the extras...

i won't be buying any of them anyway though... there's a zillion other things i prefer to spend my money on tbh... i'll hear the songs on youtube eventually maybe lol

i already have the tape, the vinyl and the cd, i think they've had enough of my money over the years lol!! [/bad fan]

we're complaining about the uber version though aren't we, which isn't $125... the leap to 400-ish dollars is a whopping amount of money to charge for the extras...

Sure, okay (and obviously I agree with the second half of your sentence).

I just don't understand how you can talk about how the uber version is or is not an example of greed or fleecing the fans without talking about the other versions available. If they were trying to fleece the hardcore fans, there wouldn't be the other versions available.

I agree that the price is ridiculous for what's in it. It's the cries of outrage I strongly disagree with. :)

I'm not thrilled that the discs are inside the book in the super deluxe version, but whatever. I'll deal with it.

No, really?

Ugh, dammit.

Oh well, too late now to change my mind.

I'm sure on Tuesday when I have it in my hands I won't give a shit, but oh well

It would be great if the Uber version was cheaper of course. But I think when you take everything in it and break it down by price (as someone did here just a page or so back?) it is about what it would cost, if not less. So it's just a matter of having it all in one pretty box and being able to buy and store it all together.

Sure, okay. I just don't understand how you can talk about how the uber version is or is not an example of greed or fleecing the fans without talking about the other versions available. If they were trying to fleece the hardcore fans, there wouldn't be the other versions available.

It's there if people want it, like any other "luxury" item.

because the hardcore fans will naturally want the one with all the bells and whistles

(I edited my post a bit while you were responding, but I don't think it changes anything for your response.)

Well, I consider myself to be pretty damned hardcore.

I guess I've just learned where I draw the line with how thorough I need to be with being "completist." I don't need stickers, buttons and vinyl. ;)

And it'll be interesting to see if the price comes down a bit on some sites. Or if there will be used copies (but still complete) to be found later on. It was almost half the price on Canada's Amazon site for a while, which was really surprising. So, as with most pricey items, a little bargain shopping and a bit of patience may very well come in handy.

I'm not thrilled that the discs are inside the book in the super deluxe version, but whatever. I'll deal with it.

See, the nut in me has already addressed this. Buy the cheapest 2 disc set in walmart or where ever. Since, I'll be playing the fuck out of this shit every time I drive, I'll need the slot for the baby disc.

I guess I think $300 is fair enough, if admittedly wildly expensive. $430 might technically be worth it - but I would feel very differently about that price than $300. I mean, I could buy an extra super edition with the price difference!

See, the nut in me has already addressed this. Buy the cheapest 2 disc set in walmart or where ever. Since, I'll be playing the fuck out of this shit every time I drive, I'll need the slot for the baby disc.

That's not a bad idea. With reissue versions in box sets, I usually just take the new disc out of the box set and replace the old version in the original hard case so it can stay on my shelves with my other CDs.

I'll probably do the same with AB, although then I'm stuck with having to go to the box set if I want to hear the other stuff.

And no, I can't just throw the discs in blank cases and throw them on my selves - then I'd have some discs up there without the printed spines and labels, and that is not okay! /anal retentive

I hardly ever play CDs anymore. My car stereo has an iPod attachment, and I have an AirPort Express connected to my home stereo so I can stream straight to it from iTunes using my phone as a remote.

As soon as my set arrives, it will get ripped straight into iTunes.

Oh, I'm all about the iPod (I have a 75 gig 'classic'), but I still prefer having the physical CDs as opposed to buying MP3s. Most of the time, they get ripped to MP3 and played on my iPod at work, and during my bus commute, but if I'm listening at home, I play CDs in my stereo. In the car, I sometimes plug in the iPod and sometimes take CDs.

I'm not one of those who rips the CDs and then boxes them up and puts them into storage, because my CD collection is part of my decor. :wink:

That's what I have CDs for mostly as well. I take my U2 iPod with me anywhere, and in the car I listen to the radio. At home I usually listen to the radio as well, so my CDs are mostly for the collection.

6 U2 CDs: $60
4 U2 DVDs: $80
5 U2 LP singles: $50
Freaking awesome magnetic Achtung Baby cabinet: $150
Bono glasses: $60
16 art prints: $20
84 page hardcover book: $10
Stickers and badges: I dunno, $10?

There's also the double vinyl album: Worth at least $25
(and an issue of Propaganda: a few bucks?)

Even if you bring the magnetic puzzle box down to half of Niceman's estimate (let's say $75) that's nearly $400. I think some of the estimates are low, for example that book looks like a much higher value than $10 to me, so if you look at it this way the price is almost spot on.

:shrug: So I think there isn't really much to complain about here as far as this Uber edition. (not directed at you, Niceman! just using your estimates as the base for my price study. thanks! :) )

There's also the double vinyl album: Worth at least $25
(and an issue of Propaganda: a few bucks?)

Even if you bring the magnetic puzzle box down to half of Niceman's estimate (let's say $75) that's nearly $400. I think some of the estimates are low, for example that book looks like a much higher value than $10 to me, so if you look at it this way the price is almost spot on. :shrug:

We DO get the double vinyl album? I wasn't sure about that. I'd happily drop $30 on that.

And yes, my estimates are conservative. $10 for each vinyl single when in truth, you know I wouldn't blink at spending $15 or more for each.

We DO get the double vinyl album? I wasn't sure about that. I'd happily drop $30 on that.

And yes, my estimates are conservative. $10 for each vinyl single when in truth, you know I wouldn't blink at spending $15 or more for each.

I hope so! According to U2.com we do.

1. A limited, numbered Uber Deluxe Edition is a magnetic puzzle tiled box which will contain: 6 CDs including the original Achtung Baby album, the follow-up album, Zooropa, B-sides, remixes and re-workings of previously unheard material recorded during the Achtung Baby sessions. 4 DVDs including 'From The Sky Down', 'Zoo TV:Live From Sydney', all the videos from Achtung Baby plus bonus material. There will also be the Achtung Baby double vinyl album plus 5 clear 7" vinyl singles in their original sleeves, 16 art prints taken from the original album sleeve, an 84-page hardback book, a copy of Propaganda magazine, 4 badges, a sticker sheet, and a pair of Bono’s trademark 'The Fly' sunglasses.

Back
Top Bottom