Uber-pop!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Niceman

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
I was thinking. Next year is the POP 15th anniversary. That might be a good time for the deluxe treatment. How many of you would be able and willing to drop money on an uber version of POP? And what should be on it?

disc 1 - Original album tweaked.
disc 2 - B-sides. (including the live B-sides.)
disc 3 - Remixes
Disc 4 - remixes and Michael Hedges mixes.
disc 5 - "GrandPOP" demos of the unfinished songs from the era. They didn't leak, but they still existed.
disc 6 - The original album "finished" - re-recorded in 2012.

Video:
Pop TV special.
POPMART live DVD - A different show than is already available.
K-Mart performance.

Bonus:
Inflatable pop-lemon
POP-Cube

What else?

I was thinking. Next year is the POP 15th anniversary. That might be a good time for the deluxe treatment. How many of you would be able and willing to drop money on an uber version of POP? And what should be on it?

disc 1 - Original album tweaked.
disc 2 - B-sides. (including the live B-sides.)
disc 3 - Remixes
Disc 4 - remixes and Michael Hedges mixes.
disc 5 - "GrandPOP" demos of the unfinished songs from the era. They didn't leak, but they still existed.

Video:
Pop TV special.
POPMART live DVD - A different show than is already available.
K-Mart performance.

Bonus:
Inflatable pop-lemon
POP-Cube

What else?

I would totally get this, but only if it costs as much as the AB Super Deluxe. A re-recorded POP would be just :drool:

Definitely the promo mirrorball!! I've never been able to get that. I have the inflatable lemon, the cube and the Pop Condoms :wink:

They need to make the uber version cost USD$50,000. As a joke about consumerism, of course.

all of the above plus:

attachment.php

(the glasses)

For clarification, I mean the giant, moveable, mirrorball lemon that the band emerged from.

It should come packaged in that. :wink:

Well, seeing as how it would be the size of the actual lemon, then we know they would fit in there, so yes. There should be an edition where the band members are included. Might as well fill that space somehow!

Well, seeing as how it would be the size of the actual lemon, then we know they would fit in there, so yes. There should be an edition where the band members are included. Might as well fill that space somehow!

That might possibly delay the release of Songs of Ascent ever further...... (Then again, it might speed it up!)

BUT all joking aside, a scale mirror-ball lemon would the most amazing packaging!

I'm actually not sure that we would need another pair of glasses, especially since the POP glasses weren't as important as the Fly glasses. I'd rather they give us other things in the Uber POP.

But then all the content would get stuck in the mirrorball lemon and you wouldn't even get to have it :(

Also, throw me in with the camp that doubts Pop gets any special treatment.

Some great work here!

8b2e338b4e85dff57a45d8824ff21701.jpg
1997pop.jpg

U2+Pop+era.jpg
971212r6-36.jpg
Popband.jpg
01636601.gif

TheWanderer's threads for Rattle And Hum and Zooropa inspired me to create this one for Pop. Fair warning, I went all out with this. It's total fantasy, especially considering we can't even be sure U2 will do a re-release for Pop. But I had a lot of fun thinking this up. Without further ado:

U2Popmart.gif

1545201772_c02ec8ae3e.jpg
U2Live01.bmp

175-U2-Popmart-97-AA-0030w.jpg
175-U2-Popmart-97-A-1152w.jpg

Disc 1: Original Album Remastered

1. Discotheque
2. Do You Feel Loved
3. Mofo
4. If God Will Send His Angels
5. Staring At The Sun
6. Last Night On Earth
7. Gone
8. Miami
9. The Playboy Mansion
10. If You Wear That Velvet Dress
11. Please
12. Wake Up Dead Man

Disc 2: B-Sides, alternate mixes, rarities

1. Holy Joe(Garage Mix)
2. Holy Joe(Guilty Mix)
3. North And South Of The River
4. Pop Muzik(Pop Mart Remix)
5. Happiness Is A Warm Gun(The Gun Mix)
6. Happiness Is A Warm Gun(The Danny Saber Remix)
7. I'm Not Your Baby(Sky Splitter Dub)
8. Slow Dancing(w/ Willie Nelson)
9. Two Shots Of Happy, One Shot Of Sad
10. If You Wear That Velvet Dress(Jools Holland Version)
11. Discotheque(Mike Hedges aka "New" Mix)
12. Staring At The Sun(Mike Hedges aka "New" Mix)
13. Gone(Mike Hedges aka "New" Mix)
14. The Playboy Mansion(rumored Mike Hedges mix recorded for Best Of 1990-2000 but never released)
15. If God Will Send His Angels(unreleased Zooropa version)
16. If You Wear That Velvet Dress(unreleased Zooropa version)
17. Wake Up Dead Man(unreleased Zooropa version)
18. North And South Of The River(Salome outtakes demo)

Disc 3: Alternate mixes(I just picked my favorites, might be different for you)

1. Discotheque(DM Deep Club Mix)
2. Discotheque(Hexidecimal Mix)
3. Discotheque(David Holmes Mix)
4. Mofo(Phunk Force Mix)
5. Mofo(Romin Remix)
6. If God Will Send His Angles(Grand Jury/Big Yam Mix)
7. Staring At The Sun(Monster Truck Mix)
8. Staring At The Sun(Sad Bastards Mix)
9. Staring At The Sun(Lab Rats Mix)
10. Last Night On Earth(First Night In Hell Mix)
11. If God WIll Send His Angels(Single Mix)
12. Last Night On Earth(Single Mix)
13. Please(Single Mix)
14. Please(USA Edit)

Disc 4: Various radio interviews from Pop promo period in 1997 - this would be fascinating to listen to, to compare how they talked about the album then to how they talk(or don't talk) about it now.

Disc 5 DVD:
A Year In Pop - ABC special with footage of Popmart opening night in Las Vegas
K-Mart press conference for Popmart announcement w/ Holy Joe performance
Bono/Larry Mullen Letterman appearance, June 10, 1997
VH1 Legends U2(Because it was made in this time period, right after Popmart)
Various TV interviews from Pop promo period in 1997 - there are many, just look it up on youtube
Simpsons episode featuring U2 during Popmart
Music videos:
Discotheque version 1
Discotheque version 2
Mofo
If God Will Send His Angels
Staring At The Sun version 1
Staring At The Sun version 2
Last Night On Earth
Please
Please(Live, MTV Video Music Awards)
Mofo(Live, MTV European Music Awards)
North And South Of The River(Live, Omgha Tribute)
All I Want Is You(Live, same Omgha Tribute performance)

Disc 6 DVD: Popmart Rotterdam

Disc 7 DVD: Popmart Leeds

Disc 8 DVD: Popmart Sarajevo

Disc 9 DVD: Popmart Santiago
(no Mexico City, because it's already been released)

bv000012.gif

This is some sort of Pop rubix cube that I stumbled upon totally by accident in Google Image Search. I thought it would be a pretty sweet look for a Pop box set.

That's it. Yeah, it's a total pipe dream. I went completely nuts. Four live shows(five if you count the Vegas footage in 'A Year In Pop'), with no repeat Mexico City release? If only. This would be a really sweet set though. Oh, one more thing: A few years back, bono had been quoted saying something about how the band would like to finally 'finish' the Pop songs someday...if they wanted to finally complete Pop to their satisfaction, you could throw that disc in here too. Ok, that's it.

I don't buy the 4 live shows, but even 1 they haven't given us before would be great. I still have my old pop-cube, but age has done some damage to the paper.

corianderstem said:
And orders placed from North Carolina will be canceled altogether.

Perhaps American versions should only contain a forth of what they advertise, to reflect how full the American shows were?

No way. There's no way that wouldn't be awful. And anyway, it would involve a commitment not far off a new album level, so you'd be pushing a 'true' new album back for another year or something. Fix the mixing etc, but leave the structure etc alone. I think even the Single/Best Of mixes of the Pop songs are all shit anyway. Given another 14 years... terrible. Too much time has passed. They wouldn't be tweaking and fixing but keeping the spirit, it would all just be Pop-Bomb.

No way. There's no way that wouldn't be awful. And anyway, it would involve a commitment not far off a new album level, so you'd be pushing a 'true' new album back for another year or something. Fix the mixing etc, but leave the structure etc alone. I think even the Single/Best Of mixes of the Pop songs are all shit anyway. Given another 14 years... terrible. Too much time has passed. They wouldn't be tweaking and fixing but keeping the spirit, it would all just be Pop-Bomb.

Well, I think the band is a long way from Bomb now. But yeah, part of me agrees. I'm not sure U2 get what they were doing then anymore. BUT we know this is a project they are interested in. We know they have given it some thought and maybe even work over the years. If it is going to happen, this would be the place for it.

what will actually be released:

6 Disc CD/DVD Boxset
- Pop (not remastered)
- Remixes
- Pop Til You Drop: More Remixes
- Once You Pop, You Can't Stop: Even More Remixes
- B-sides and Other Stuff (with only 3 out of 4 of the Popheart EP tracks and the good version of Holy Joe missing for god knows what reason.)
- Popmart Live In Mexico City DVD (Teaser with only the first 5 songs.)
- Paul McGuinness's debut novel in paperback.

All in an oversized box with some sub-standard/pixelated prints.

£400.

12-disc Vinyl Box:

- Original Double LP
- 9 Discs of remixes.
- Bonus one-sided 7" featuring the only unreleased song from the Pop Sessions recovered from a badly damaged DAT, featuring 2012 Bono's vocals. Other side of disc features etching of nude Adam Clayton from Achtung Baby.

£1000.

:(

what will actually be released:

6 Disc CD/DVD Boxset
- Pop (not remastered)
- Remixes
- Pop Til You Drop: More Remixes
- Once You Pop, You Can't Stop: Even More Remixes
- B-sides and Other Stuff (with only 3 out of 4 of the Popheart EP tracks and the good version of Holy Joe missing for god knows what reason.)
- Popmart Live In Mexico City DVD (Teaser with only the first 5 songs.)

All in an oversized box with some sub-standard/pixelated prints.

£400.

12-disc Vinyl Box:

- Original Double LP
- 9 Discs of remixes.
- Bonus one-sided 7" featuring the only unreleased song from the Pop Sessions recovered from a badly damaged DAT, featuring 2012 Bono's vocals. Other side of disc features etching of nude Adam Clayton from Achtung Baby.

£1000.

:lol:

For orders placed in Sarajevo, U2 will deliver your box sets personally, accompanied by an army. (Also, Sarajevans, I hate to tell you, but Bono's going to be hoarse on your copies, so you'll have to provide your own vocals.)

:lol:

Back
Top Bottom