U2's Bono to become the world's richest musician tomorrow - NME.com

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Reports are saying that Bono is probably making 150 million off this. Bono is one of 10 managing directors, plus there are many other investors.

So he won't be buying Greece anytime soon.

Hate to tell ya but all cheesburgers are not created (nor priced) equal.

Mon Dieu! The $777 Burger at Paris' Le Burger Brasserie || VegasChatter

777-burger_custom.jpg

le777burger.jpg

I stayed there last weekend. Sadly, I cannot tell you firsthand if it's worth the pricetag. :sigh:

I invest on a scale that seems infinitely smaller than Bono. But as true with all investments, there is a chance of loss - in fact, a very good chance. Elevation Partners gambled on the Palm - it failed. They gambled on Facebook - it won big! More winnings than losings and we have a super-duper rich rock star.

Here's Bono's message to the critics:

And I must be an acrobat
To talk like this
And act like that
And you can dream
So dream out loud
And you can find
Your own way out

----------------------------
Don't believe in riches
But you should see where I live
I, I believe in love

----------------------------
The right to be ridiculous is something I hold dear
But a change of heart comes slow

Feel better now? :lol:

Well, look at their math. The payout is less because they're not yet selling. The value of what they own has gone up drastically. It's just that he'll only get a check for 10 million NOW.....

Well, look at their math. The payout is less because they're not yet selling. The value of what they own has gone up drastically. It's just that he'll only get a check for 10 million NOW.....

Private equity firms invest money on behalf of their clients and return to them the lion's share of the profits. Elevation Partners will also keep a percentage of profits - this is typically around 20% but can vary from firm to firm. In addition, firms typically charge an annual fee based on the size of the fund. Some firms also charge a fee to investors for buying a company.

Elevation Partners' share of its profit made Friday is probably in the area of $30.8 million. Bono's take depends on the particulars of Elevation Partners and how it divvies up its profits. The company website lists six other managing directors excluding Bono, a senior advisor, two associates and seven-person administrative team. Bono's share could be as low as $4.4 million, or one-seventh of the profit (there are seven managing partners). Facebook latest S-1 filing mentions only four of the seven managing directors: Fred Anderson, Paul Hewson (Bono's given name), Roger McNamee, and Bret Pearlman.

Elevation Partners and Bono don't own 100% of the remaining 40.1 million shares, either. The company can lay claim to less than 20% of their current $1.46 billion value (as of 2pm ET Friday) because it will return 80% of the profit - or $1.17 billion at current valuation - to its investors (it will be less than 20% of their current value because Elevation Partners' cost basis for the shares need to be taken into account). Bono will be left with an unknown fraction of that 20%.

Well yeah, the reporting was bad, but I don't see how he looks like a hypocrite with a billion dollars instead of ten million?

The people who think he's a hypocrite are still going to think so even if he only made 50 cents on the deal.

Well yeah, the reporting was bad, but I don't see how he looks like a hypocrite with a billion dollars instead of ten million?

The people who think he's a hypocrite are still going to think so even if he only made 50 cents on the deal.

Yes, that's right, but don't you think a billion dollars sounds a bit obscene in those times of crisis. You know, Bono can make that amount of money (10 million) in a couple of concerts, but to get a billion dollars from stock speculation it's not the same.

I think it was more a case of "hey, a billion dollars sounds better in a headline than 10 million, so let's go with that and fuck the actual math" rather than "hey, this is going to make Bono look bad - let's run with it!"

I think it was more a case of "hey, a billion dollars sounds better in a headline than 10 million, so let's go with that and fuck the actual math" rather than "hey, this is going to make Bono look bad - let's run with it!"

Hmm, I don't know, I don't buy it. I believe some people thinks is cool to write shit about Bono.

Yes, dorks on the internet do, but news agencies are just looking for a good story.

Oh wait ... didn't the story originally come from NME? There might be something to it, then. :lol:

Although I think a lot of sites went with that news - not sure if NME was the original or only source.

This is depressing. :sad:

Poor Bono. Guess there will be some cuts on the next family holidays, spendings on yachts, houses, parties, private jets etc. I hope he and his family can handle this .

Isn't Facebook going public on the stock exchange anyway ? And anyone can have a try at making money ?

For those who made a "Rush" to judgement on this, I can confirm that Bono denies being a billionaire:

"Contrary to reports, I'm not a billionaire or going to be richer than any Beatle - and not just in the sense of money, by the way, the Beatles are untouchable - those billionaire reports are a joke."

Bono: I'm no Facebook billionaire - Yahoo! News UK

These comments echo those Larry has made privately.

Isn't Facebook going public on the stock exchange anyway ? And anyone can have a try at making money ?

?

Elevation Partners invested in it years ago, when a company goes public the private investors & founders sell portions of their stakes in the company to the public, that's where the shares come from in an IPO.

Anywho, between this & the Palm investment working out (HP might have murdered it but they bought it out for a billion) can U2 finally just say fuck it and release whatever the hell they want? I mean already the band members must have pocketed around $100m a piece from 360.

Anywho, between this & the Palm investment working out (HP might have murdered it but they bought it out for a billion) can U2 finally just say fuck it and release whatever the hell they want? I mean already the band members must have pocketed around $100m a piece from 360.

Well, um, U2 has been in that position for quite some time.

If U2 isn't releasing "whatever the hell they want", I assure you, the reason isn't because they are short of cash.

Sure...they just have to decide what they want : Danger Mouse, Red One, SOA...

Back
Top Bottom