U2 to support KOL at Dec.19th Dublin show

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I rest my case then.

Until the official release of a single, thre aint gonna be any brooklyn bridges.

Unless of course we get a release of a single a few weeks prior to 19 Dec and the album is released a few days before XMAS.

Which is what i was saying in my first POST!

If this did happen then I doubt they'd have the guts to play new material. Instead they'd play a safe set containing Beautiful Day, Vertigo, Elevation, Pride, WOWY etc...

It was more unusual to support Biffy Clyro in Union Chapel imo,
I think this is possible, but Id say there set will only have 1 or 2 new songs,
It could be like a working rehersal,

HTDAAB. Over half of the album was performed live before release:

Vertigo (Top Of The Tops, CD:UK, HQ, SNL, Brooklyn Bridge, Jonathan Ross)
Miracle Drug (CD:UK, HQ, Brooklyn Bridge)
SYCMIOYO (Top Of The Tops, CD:UK, HQ, SNL, Brooklyn Bridge, Jonathan Ross)
COBL (Top Of The Tops, CD:UK, Brooklyn Bridge)
ABOY (Top Of The Tops, U2 iPod introduction, HQ, Brooklyn Bridge)
OOTS (U2 iPod introduction, Brooklyn Bridge)

To add to your above post, U2 did a similar thing before ATYCLB. This decade, it seems standard for them to play a bunch of new songs before the new album's release. However, one crucial point is that all of these performances have come after the lead single was released to radio (though often before it was released to retail). The last time an album track was played live before even the lead single went to radio was when When Love Comes To Town was performed at a JT Tour concert on 24 November 1987; RAH's lead single, Desire, came out in September 1988.

Then you have a couple of b-side examples. Slow Dancing made its premiere during Lovetown (Bono sung some of it in a radio interview on 21 October 1989, then it was first played at a gig on 1 December 1989), and it subsequently became a Zooropa-era and then Pop-era b-side. You can also point to She's A Mystery To Me debuting on 30 December 1989 and not making its official U2 release until a live version became a HTDAAB b-side.

But all of these occurred in completely different circumstances. It's been even longer since U2 played any songs live from an upcoming album in that album's promotional cycle before ANYTHING from that album had been released, either to radio or to retail. Only problem is, I'm not entirely sure when that precisely happened! In the War era, SBS, NYD, and Surrender debuted in December 1982 on the "Pre-War" leg of the War Tour, before the release of NYD as War's lead single in January 1983 - but I am not clear if the January 1983 release date is just retail. I have no idea when NYD was released to radio, though I would hazard a guess at it being after NYD debuted live on 1 December 1982. Then you have the example of Pride being played at two August 1984 concerts in New Zealand and it wasn't released as UF's lead single until September 1984, but again, that might just be its retail release date, since I don't know when Pride came out to radio. However, in this case, I think it was out in time for the Kiwi concerts, leaving the War example as the most recent case.

This is going to be pretty embarrassing for Kings of Leon when 2/3rds of the crowd leaves after the opening act.

Seeing as it's sold out already, it'd be embarrassing for U2 when the O2 is only a quarter full and no one even pays them any attention

Firstly, I doubt very much if U2 will be appearing at the KOL show - judging by Edge's comments in Mojo, I think they've got their hands full trying to sort out the new album.

But it got me thinking - with U2's current sky-high stature as rock aristocracy, would they ever 'support' anyone? Guest appearances maybe, but not the opening / supporting act. The only example I can really think of is the special case of Live 8, with Paul McCartney - but were they his backing band or collaborating with him that day? A comparable example from fairly recently is when ACDC supported the Rolling Stones, but in reality, who is genuinely 'bigger' than U2? Look at the calibre of acts who supported them on the (European) Vertigo tour. None of them are stadium fillers yet, but some of them are heading in the right direction.

Firstly, I doubt very much if U2 will be appearing at the KOL show - judging by Edge's comments in Mojo, I think they've got their hands full trying to sort out the new album.

But it got me thinking - with U2's current sky-high stature as rock aristocracy, would they ever 'support' anyone? Guest appearances maybe, but not the opening / supporting act. The only example I can really think of is the special case of Live 8, with Paul McCartney - but were they his backing band or collaborating with him that day? A comparable example from fairly recently is when ACDC supported the Rolling Stones, but in reality, who is genuinely 'bigger' than U2? Look at the calibre of acts who supported them on the (European) Vertigo tour. None of them are stadium fillers yet, but some of them are heading in the right direction.

a rare example of a megaband supporting another would be PJ at the end of the vertigo tour. I can only see U2 even coming close to something like that under special circumstances, say a festival for charity or something totally wild and unexpected, like a reunion of The Smiths for several english dates.

That says it all, I'm afraid.

I'm not saying it's gonna happen..yes,I have considered the source...but it's not as much of stretch as you'd like to believe. Consider this:

1.) Obviously as you know the new 02 arena in Dublin is the old Point Depot Theater which U2 helped to usher into prominence back in the late 80's.

2.) The Kings Of Leon show is the first concert/event being staged there ....the grand opening....think about it if U2 played as the opening act for KOL...they would actually be the first band to play at the new venue.

3.) Bono had a private tour of the place a few months back and U2 were asked to be the first act to play there...a short opening slot playing 5 songs before the Kings Of Leon is not the same as playing a 20+ song/2 hour concert..the pressure would be off.

4.) It's a couple of days before Christmas...the band will most likely be back in Dublin with family...so they will be in town.

Anyways with Kings Of Leon opening the new venue and Coldplay playing there 2 days later...it's hard to imagine Bono won't show his face/be up on stage with one of those bands as a treat before the holidays.

Just a thought

U2 played the venue several times how many years ago?

Seriously I don't get this fascination with it. It's hardly their most played venue

U2 were the first band ever to play in the Point Depot - the Desire sequence in Rattle and Hum being the result. In case anyone dosen't know, that old warehouse was The Point - That was just before it was tidied up a bit to become a concert venue first time around in 1989.

Also Harry Crosbie, owner and developer of the venue is a great friend and supporter of the band. However he also has a commercial interest in maintaining the U2 "legend" around the point or the "O2" as it's now unfortunately known. Part of the wider development of the site is a planned U2 "Experience" - sort of a museum type attraction devoted to the band. I'd say U2 supporting Kings of Leon in order to be the first band to play the new venue is very very likely, not just for the kudos of being first, but also because Mr Crosbie has probably fronted up plenty of money as an incentive....

Back
Top Bottom