U2 Live in Irving Plaza

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Really would have liked to see him do the final bit - YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH

meet the new boss
same as the old boss

Wow, what a great show~I'm watching it now! They sound great. I've never seen this show before! Thanks for posting. I agree with you, they should do these small intimate clubs more often. The energy is amazing.:hyper:

I loved the ending of One leading into Walk on and then All I Want Is You. AIWIY is so emotionally charged.:drool: What does Bono sing at 50:16 (ish). It's the last verse. He changed the lyrics. They sounded so beautiful. Can anyone hear it?

If i remember rightly didnt they do a little club tour before atyclb came out?

Probaly the best version of i will follow ive heard

Great cover of wont get fooled again aswell

Just out of intrest why does bono sing the pepsi generation ( does he say the coke generation aswell?instead of my generation at the end of the song?

Maybe, he refers to coke as in cocaine. Old wasted rockstars vs young (well maybe not so young) rockstars, who didn't/don't adopt that particular lifestyle.

I always thought it was something like that, but I can be totally wrong :lol:

Maybe, he refers to coke as in cocaine. Old wasted rockstars vs young (well maybe not so young) rockstars, who didn't/don't adopt that particular lifestyle.

I always thought it was something like that, but I can be totally wrong :lol:

I thought that but dosent he say pepsi aswell?

Thanks for posting this. I'd forgotten about it. I tried for weeks to get tickets to this but they weren't on sale. You had to have won a radio contest (or known someone). It was broadcast live on the radio and produced some great versions of those songs. Also one of the first live outings for some of the songs. Saturday Night Live was a day or two before or after this show and also kicked some ass with Bono roaming the crowd and jumping on a table to sing.

I'm amazed that quite a few people don't like the roaming and crowd work. He's selling the songs. My belief is that it's this selling of these specific songs that they had the 2000's resurgence and are still kicking ass today.

The Ground Beneath Her Feet also made an awesome live appearance here. Such a good song. Vastly underrated.

That's from the much-disssed around here Elevation tour era...probably one of the best, most underrated tours for U2, and certainly their best tour in terms of performance of the 00's. This is really non-debatable.

Those shows were just special...they played like they had something to prove because they did.

Thanks for posting this. I'd forgotten about it. I tried for weeks to get tickets to this but they weren't on sale. You had to have won a radio contest (or known someone). It was broadcast live on the radio and produced some great versions of those songs. Also one of the first live outings for some of the songs. Saturday Night Live was a day or two before or after this show and also kicked some ass with Bono roaming the crowd and jumping on a table to sing.

I'm amazed that quite a few people don't like the roaming and crowd work. He's selling the songs. My belief is that it's this selling of these specific songs that they had the 2000's resurgence and are still kicking ass today.

The Ground Beneath Her Feet also made an awesome live appearance here. Such a good song. Vastly underrated.

Great great post.

It was this era (2000) that got me into U2. The thing that touched me the most was bonos way of selling the songs. I watched the Brit awards in February 2001 and I was sold. Until the end of the world is epic , best U2 or any tv performance by anyone in my opinion.

Remember this

Beautiful day.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=relmfu&v=_QS2uwBe75M#/watch?feature=relmfu&v=_QS2uwBe75M

One.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=relmfu&v=U2N54TnUILY#/watch?feature=relmfu&v=U2N54TnUILY

Until the end of the world

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=relmfu&v=QQAPsCRSYaY#/watch?feature=relmfu&v=QQAPsCRSYaY

A local radio station here in the Twin Cities plays the versions of One and Beautiful Day from this show somewhat often. It inspired me to download this show at one point, which has some pretty good performances. Never knew there was a video for this either!

Love that version of UTEOTW too, Rennowba. It was a thrill for me when I finally got to hear it live last summer! :)

I thought that but dosent he say pepsi aswell?
Yes, he says Pepsi generation too. I think he meant to point out the difference between the former generation rock-'n-roll bands and U2. Just a comparison: booze, drugs =coke generation vs not so much booze and no/not so much drugs = Pepsi generation, or whatever.

He's just messing around with some lyrics, I think.

I watched this show on YouTube in the school library when I was just starting college. I used to take headphones with me and watch U2 videos between classes because we still had 56K dialup internet at home (this was in 2006-2008, which is pretty sad), so I had to watch videos at school. I had such a good time! And that really is a fantastic show! I have the audio on my iTunes now.

This is an awesome show. I remember listening to it live on the internet and the ATYCLB songs came off so well live.

And U2 destroyed SNL that week, especially w/ Elevation.

U2 - Elevation (Live on SNL) - Vidéo Dailymotion

Here's the version of Elevation a few of us are talking about.

Does Larry play that hard anymore......Damn

Wow what a performance I don't think I've ever seen this.

The best U2 performances are when bonos on form. When he roams like this he brings something that not many rock stars can. Chris Martin isn't even in bonos league ( don't know why I've said that lol) the other thing that gets me is when people say the edge is the heart of the band just to be cool cause bono bashing is in fashion. Bono is U2 plain and simple. The edge larry and ,Adam are massive parts but U2 would be nothing without bono

This was a great U2 fighting for their relevance. I tell you one thing if this U2 would of played Glastonbury around this time it would have gone down as the greatest Glastonbury gig ever instead of being just good in my opinion ( with a lot saying it was average)

Rant over :)

Wow what a performance I don't think I've ever seen this.

The best U2 performances are when bonos on form. When he roams like this he brings something that not many rock stars can. Chris Martin isn't even in bonos league ( don't know why I've said that lol) the other thing that gets me is when people say the edge is the heart of the band just to be cool cause bono bashing is in fashion. Bono is U2 plain and simple. The edge larry and ,Adam are massive parts but U2 would be nothing without bono

This was a great U2 fighting for their relevance. I tell you one thing if this U2 would of played Glastonbury around this time it would have gone down as the greatest Glastonbury gig ever instead of being just good in my opinion ( with a lot saying it was average)

Rant over :)

Wow, this was a great performance! :applaud: And I agree, Bono is one of the best front men in rock and roll! He really knows the psychology of performance and how to work a crowd. There is no one better than Bono when he is on. I wish these guys would get back into the studio and give Rock and Roll the kick in the pants that it needs!
Thanks for posting this video!

That's from the much-disssed around here Elevation tour era...probably one of the best, most underrated tours for U2, and certainly their best tour in terms of performance of the 00's. This is really non-debatable.

Those shows were just special...they played like they had something to prove because they did.

Yes, songs, tours, albums are never debatable.............

Good tour, but the third leg setlist was lacking IMO. After the Notre Dame show shake up it went to hell. So I guess it is debatable. Imagine that!

Yes, songs, tours, albums are never debatable.............

Good tour, but the third leg setlist was lacking IMO. After the Notre Dame show shake up it went to hell. So I guess it is debatable. Imagine that!

Agree. Post 9/11 the setlist didn't work for me. I guess if you were there though, it would've been a different story. No Fly :-(

Agree. Post 9/11 the setlist didn't work for me. I guess if you were there though, it would've been a different story. No Fly :-(

A show is about more than set lists. The played with passion and purpose on that tour...it didn't really matter so much what they were playing.

Anyone whose seen U2 go through the motions knows how special it is when they're playing like the meaning.

Back
Top Bottom