U2 Exhibit at Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jon Seidman

The Fly
Nearly 8 years ago I visited the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and they had a small but cool U2 display. Shortly thereafter there was a large exhibit devoted to U2. I missed that. Did anyone here go? Was there anything extra cool that you´d care to mention. I regret not making a trip back for that. Thanks.

It was way cool. I liked Larry's tiny little original t-shirt, the Pop lemon uniforms, and all the lyric sheets in Bono's handwriiting. I'll have to find my notes and see what else I can remember.

Plus, it was fun to drive to Cleveland.

My dad and I went. I'd always wanted to go anyway, so when they had the big U2 exhibit, I figured that was the perfect time to go. :)

I visited the R & R Hall of Fame Museum during the special exhibit of U2 items that were there in 2003 and still remember the thrill of being there in the presence of such great U2 memorabilia!

One of the items that I'll never forget was a note that Edge had written and left for Larry who was busy with his job as a delivery boy (or whatever job that Larry had at the time) so that Larry would know where to meet the band for rehearsal. (they were still all in secondary school)

At the end of the note, Edge added a ps for Larry which simply read: "WE NOW HAVE GUITARS!"

I wanted to burst out laughing because the only thing that I could think of was: what were U2 using for practice before they got their guitars?

We may never know. (lol)

Thanks for bringing back so many wonderful memories for me.

Mulago Positive Women’s Network :hug:

Yeah, I went there as well. It was awesome. Got to see Larry's first drum kit like Martha mentioned. Had all the outfits that they have worn since the beginning of time. A lot of art work, records etc... all things you can think of. The rest of the stuff (non-U2 related) are very interesting as well.... Jimi Hendrix, The Doors... etc.

Nearly 8 years ago I visited the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and they had a small but cool U2 display. Shortly thereafter there was a large exhibit devoted to U2. I missed that. Did anyone here go? Was there anything extra cool that you´d care to mention. I regret not making a trip back for that. Thanks.

It wasn't quite that long ago. It was 2003/2004 (it ended in Feb. 2004 - it was extended slightly I think due to its popularity).

I saw it as I used to drive from MA to Chicago for the holidays. On my return drive, I stopped to visit some family in Cleveland. My uncle (and his wife and even his mother-in-law) surprised me as not only did they all go, but they also recalled much of the history of the overall museum. You have to understand that we are talking about people in their upper 70's and older and who always came across as overly prim and proper. So for my uncle to start rattling off all the info about "rock and/or roll" (Simpson joke :D ), was quite amusing and refreshing.

I enjoyed the U2 exhibit quite a bit and was happy to see many fan items there. I was also happy to know that some of the fan items were also in my collection too. :) But what I found very annoying is the fact that one could not take any photographs. I understand if they feared the flashes would ruin some items, but the museum didn't even offer books that one could buy of the special exhibits. So alas, it's all in my memory. That is a shame too - I think photos would have been great.

At least I obtained one photo of me in front of the huge U2 poster they had in the lobby (and some photos taken outside advertising the exhibit). :yes:

Well, at least now you can go there and check out the induction exhibits for such "worthy" artists as Bonnie Raitt, Percy Sledge, John Mellencamp and The Dave Clark Five. :lol:

Has anyone been to the HOF lately? How much of the U2 collection is on display from day to day?

I have to go to Cleveland in a couple of weeks for a meeting and need to know if it is worth the energy to carve out time to go. If ZooTV and trabants are still up, then I will do it! If it's just a very small display, I will have to come back another time.

Thanks

It was awesome. They had most of the Zoo TV and Popmart costumes on display, which I touched despite the fact that you weren't supposed to. Some of the Elevation outfits, too. They also had a fretless version of Adam's Popmart bass...which I've never actually seen visual evidence of him using live. Also loved seeing the little lemon designs on Edge's boots from Popmart.
One of the items that I'll never forget was a note that Edge had written and left for Larry who was busy with his job as a delivery boy (or whatever job that Larry had at the time) so that Larry would know where to meet the band for rehearsal. (they were still all in secondary school)

At the end of the note, Edge added a ps for Larry which simply read: "WE NOW HAVE GUITARS!"

I wanted to burst out laughing because the only thing that I could think of was: what were U2 using for practice before they got their guitars?

We may never know. (lol)
:lol: I had forgotten about that. The letters and notes were great to see up close. I remember the studio notes (I think written by Eno?) from when they were recording ATYCLB that had a lot of early song titles and such...really interesting.

I was there about a year after the U2 special exhibit was taken down. I went in July 2006. The U2 stuff I remember is the trabants hanging from the roof and MacPhisto's suit. I can't remember if a Bono or Edge guitar was there when I was there.

There definitely were a few Edge guitars. ( I don't remember if they had any Bono guitars). I remember that the exhibit had a lot of their costumes like the super bowl American flag jacket and most of the costumes from zoo tv and popmart. There were also a lot of lyric sheets and pictures from their high school days. They also had for sale in the gift shop the t-shirts for most of the old tours. It was a well done exhibit.

Yeah, I made a special trip in the dead of winter to Cleveland just to see it. It was very cool. I spent a entire day and a half looking at the exhibits and the 2nd half of the 2nd day sitting in the theater watching the different U2 films they had playing.

Back
Top Bottom