Typical U2 Hater List (feel free to add)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My least favorite anti-U2 statement is "People like you are too young to like U2." I have gotten this from friends, teachers, people that I've JUST met, etc. etc. I think you should be able to like any music no matter how old you are!

Not to mention, of course, all the "Bono is a moron, he doesn't really care about Africa" stuff...whatever. I've heard so many U2 haters that I'm used to them now...

If I hear one more anti-Bono rant from U2-haters, I'm gonna go fucking mental. Nothing more irritating.

How dare he succeed in life, live the perfect life, come from humble beginnings and use his fame and fortune towards making the world a better place. How dare he be an intelligent, immensely talented vocalist and lyricst with an eye for fashion and a husky Irish accent. How dare he wear sunglasses. How dare he sing. How dare he be a frontman How dare he be Bono.

Pisses me off heaps the anti-Bono lobby...Bono is the epitome of human decency and brilliance in my eyes. These people should take a look at themselves. He's more than they'll ever be, and until they can prove that they have suceeded as much as he has, they can just the shut the fuck up.

And then there's these lame but popular attempts at "humour" or parody, which don't help things...

YouTube - Chasers War - U2 I Still Haven't Found What A Knob I Am

Bono, a "knob":huh:.... how predictable and cliche, tall poppy syndrome in it's most grotesque form.

here is a chesnut:

"the new album sounds too different from U2."

The exact same person an album later:

"It's too U2-by-numbers."

Another self-contradiction classic:

"Man, I'm just so sick of the political/religious overtones in Bono's lyrics!"

same person within the same argument:

"Man, what's with all this 'Discotheque'/'Get On Your Boots' shit?! What happened to songs about Northern Ireland and South Africa?!!

I call people on this type of bs.

I tell them that if they don't like U2, it's fine. I do - they have to get over it. But they can't be that contradictory. Usually when I call people on how stupid they are, if nothing else, they shut up. :yes:

Oh, and by the way, "Boots" is a political song. Too bad your friend is such a dumbass he can't figure it out. :wave:

Not to mention, of course, all the "Bono is a moron, he doesn't really care about Africa" stuff...whatever. I've heard so many U2 haters that I'm used to them now...

Rarely do I hear this, but I usually reply with "You know, his programs really are working" to which the haters start backing down. Then I tell them to go back to their "Britney Spears love" and download "Oooh, Baby One More Time", which gets the haters defensive.

Then I kick them in the groin.

What?

As if you don't. :madwife:

Actually, the only friend I have who doesn´t like U2 it´s because of Bono.

I asked him why and he said: "He thinks he is THE BEST"

YOu know what is really ironic about the "I hate U2 because of Bono" argument? The guy has never been in the news for drugs or cheating on his wife (not to say he has never done either but the fact is it is not "common knowledge"). Rather, he is in the news for going to Africa to raise awareness of AIDS and to get people from around the world involved. Personally, I don’t care much for his "charitable" side but I respect what he is doing as opposed to getting drugged up. Have any of you ever seen the VH1 behind the music or heard the stories of bands like Areosmith (Steven Tyler), the Rolling Stones (Mick Jagger) or Led Zeppelin??? All great bands and their leading men considered cool rock gods...but our guy is a douche because instead of getting high while recording No Line on the Horizon and almost breaking up the band (I believe this was the case with Aerosmith), he was meeting with <insert douche-bag politician here>. I don't think Bono is a "rock god"(e.g. spoiled 15 year old in a 40-50 year old body who gets high and bangs 20 year old chicks)...not even close. Instead, he is a "man" who knows that with all of the fame and money comes power to make a difference..no matter how small or large. Now, if a report about him cheating on his wife while snorting cocain surfaces….well fuck me then :uhoh:

"i hate U2 cause of that stupid ipod commerical a couple years ago that they CONSTANTLY played over and over."

We all know why people hate U2, god knows their detractors are vocal enough. So why do we have to amass a huge thread about it? This is a place we come to share our love for the band! :|

If I hear one more anti-Bono rant from U2-haters, I'm gonna go fucking mental. Nothing more irritating.

How dare he succeed in life, live the perfect life, come from humble beginnings and use his fame and fortune towards making the world a better place. How dare he be an intelligent, immensely talented vocalist and lyricst with an eye for fashion and a husky Irish accent. How dare he wear sunglasses. How dare he sing. How dare he be a frontman How dare he be Bono.

Pisses me off heaps the anti-Bono lobby...Bono is the epitome of human decency and brilliance in my eyes. These people should take a look at themselves. He's more than they'll ever be, and until they can prove that they have suceeded as much as he has, they can just the shut the fuck up.

Try not to let it get to you...I know exactly what you mean though. People who say "Bono is such a douche" make me go "funny, that just made me think the same about you."

As CosmoKramer said, he's not a typical rock star. Many people would rather see celebrities do stupid things than actually make a positive difference in the world.

I could go on and on about the haters, but the ultimate truth is Bono > them :wink:

The guy has never been in the news for drugs or cheating on his wife

Andrea Corr .. that was the biggest one
Christy Turlington
Those bikini slags on Facebook
Penelope Cruz
Rush Limbaugh mentioned he had a mistress then retracted that comment

Mostof it is pure crap ... but you know there has been some stuff written.

We all know why people hate U2, god knows their detractors are vocal enough. So why do we have to amass a huge thread about it? This is a place we come to share our love for the band! :|

as much as I agree, this thread is also a place to share our frusturations. and we all have experiences with the anti-u2 person. Just a little time to vent and laugh about the criticisms. Plus, we all love U2 here- so we can talk about this from the same perspective.

:wave:

Andrea Corr .. that was the biggest one
Christy Turlington
Those bikini slags on Facebook
Penelope Cruz
Rush Limbaugh mentioned he had a mistress then retracted that comment

Mostof it is pure crap ... but you know there has been some stuff written.

But none of them were confirmed rumours!

But none of them were confirmed rumours!

oh yes yes I know. But no one can say that there has been nothing about him cheating in the press - regardless of it being proven fact. There has been plenty of speculation. Not as much as say Jagger, but its there nonetheless.

"They said they would make new music...but the new album is just same old U2 with re-tread sounds."

Followed closely by...

"The band has gone off on some experimentation that leaves fans lurching. They should stick with what they know and make U2 music."

But my all-time favorite is the bag on The Edge...

"All he knows is the same three notes and he never does the big solo."

"All he knows is the same three notes and he never does the big solo."

ugh! most people now a days put so much into complicated guitar moves (dragon force) to the point where a single sound ceases to hold any meaning because everything goes by so fast. Music now a days is teaching kids to appreciate speed but not beauty....and it is possible to appreciate both, but a guitarist like the edge is so innovative because he is different. A single note or chord can be more beautiful than a fast moving complex solo. I wish more musicians were like him!

people and their uninformed opinions! lol
:doh::doh::doh:

YOu know what is really ironic about the "I hate U2 because of Bono" argument? The guy has never been in the news for drugs or cheating on his wife (not to say he has never done either but the fact is it is not "common knowledge").

That's the exact reason why my mates hate him :shrug:

We're never going to win. :wink:

ugh! most people now a days put so much into complicated guitar moves (dragon force) to the point where a single sound ceases to hold any meaning because everything goes by so fast. Music now a days is teaching kids to appreciate speed but not beauty....and it is possible to appreciate both, but a guitarist like the edge is so innovative because he is different. A single note or chord can be more beautiful than a fast moving complex solo. I wish more musicians were like him!

people and their uninformed opinions! lol
:doh::doh::doh:

True. But yeah, I get bashed here for saying that the band aren't that great musicians, technically speaking. That's the other side of the coin, because wether they're technical or not has nothing to do witht he quality of the music.

Sometimes less is more, and with all the sounds Edge can get out of his rig, it's definately better. Simple music can be great music, and in U2's case, it usually is.

Or just a good bath :shrug:

One or the other.

I have a feeling if thom was happy, then he wouldnt write as good music

Maybe so, but thats a theory yet to be proven correct. :nerd:

wow! lemon and discotheque is my friend's 2 favorite U2 songs, and I introduced him too.

:lol:

What a coincidence. :hi5:

And then there's these lame but popular attempts at "humour" or parody, which don't help things...

I agree, do people hate do-gooders or something?

:angry:

If you ever want to introduce someone who is a teenager to U2, I would suggest having them listen to a song that is opposite to the songs they play on the radio (i.e. Beautiful Day, Vertigo) because those are the 2 songs most people will use to judge if they like U2. If you play something like "lemon", many people will think "hmmm....there might be more to this band than I thought", and for me this video below defines U2 as a crazy, unique, and interesting band and introduces people to the dark Zoo TV side of U2, instead of probably the more mainstream songs they are used to defining the band as. (and dont get me wrong, I love vertigo and BD, but I think people are defining U2 by those 2 songs without understanding that overall, U2 is a very dark and experimental band)
My friend was blown away by the chaos of this video, and said he never saw anything like it.

YouTube - U2 : The Fly - Live '92(Zoo TV Special) HQ

:love:

It's the ones who purposely mispronounce his name "BOE-NOE"...

I HATE THAT!! :rant:

They complain about how he's all over the news and overexposed (ergo they would have heard his name pronounced correctly) but they still don't pronounce it right.

Idiots...

my better half, Mrs CKONE, calls them Bonio, The Ledge, Harry Connick Jnr and Adam Claypole (character from early 80's English kids programme) just to annoy me. She uses the too old comment, who does Bono think he is comment and all the others constantly. The problem is she loves music, melodies, great lyrics and great tunes so secretly she cant avoid her love for U2. She wont admit it as many of them dont but all the 'haters' are closet U2 fans. Its a fact but they will never admit it!!!:lol:

Fuck U2, their music is crap and they just do it for the money.

ive always hated U2. they suck. i dont like them.

sure some old U2 is decent, but lamb of god, obscura, and god forbid which are listed in this month in metal is far superior in talent than that crap your ears decide is, "Music." You and the 5 other twats that like bono's garbage can go watch the grammys while listening to your mainstream crap ...and btw, it was one of the best south parks in recent seasons, sorry it bashed your tool of an idol, sorry the stuff I listen to actually has songs that sound diverse and progressive compared to," YEA YEA YEA YEA," you and your, "great new 5 star album," can go rock out to that coldplay tool rock, Ill listen to my metal and im sure many will agree who have listened to Obscura's recent album... :crack: :doh:

Wow, that was such a hard concept to grasp. Of course we cant write music up there with U2. Unfortunately enough, we don't have multi billion dollar record deals, recording sessions or arena concerts, all of which make it harder to write famous music.
Personally, I have a good 12 tracks under my belt, and although I feel they could be alot better, they certainly sound better than NLOTH. :cute:

My mom always says she doesn't like them b/c all their songs sound sort of similar. My response is GOOD, if a U2 song sounded like someone else I wouldn't like it! Likewise, my dad is always on my case about how I would looooove Pink Floyd because I like U2. Um, no, I like U2, not Pink Floyd. Not that I have anything against them, but...

Back
Top Bottom