Tour to kick off in Paris in May

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well my upcoming gig list has just vanished but its because of good news my wifes just been confirmed pregnant with our first baby. Its going to be due June next year ?????? over the moon even if i do have to sacrifice my mini u2 tour????????????

Ps. I will 100% squeeze one show in no matter what??????

Boing Boing! Congratulations!

'Bomber Brown' for middle names? :wink:

Well my upcoming gig list has just vanished but its because of good news my wifes just been confirmed pregnant with our first baby. Its going to be due June next year ?????? over the moon even if i do have to sacrifice my mini u2 tour????????????

Ps. I will 100% squeeze one show in no matter what??????
Congrats!

Well my upcoming gig list has just vanished but its because of good news my wifes just been confirmed pregnant with our first baby. Its going to be due June next year ? over the moon even if i do have to sacrifice my mini u2 tour??

Ps. I will 100% squeeze one show in no matter what?

ahh congrats!! that is lovely news!! :up:

Lakeland and Kiel '92 (7.251 & 6.500)

Vox

Ah really? Thanks! Back when the Wellington arena rumour was hot news in mid-2005, there was a thread in which we worked out that it would be the smallest venue since Lovetown, and either we missed those two shows or I forgot in the intervening years (either way it still would've been smallest). According to my memory somebody identified an Elevation Tour show of around 11,000 as the smallest post-Lovetown, but I could be pulling that out of thin air.

Anyway, in light of your post, let's revise my earlier comments to be that U2 haven't played a venue smaller than 10,000 in over two decades - which is still pretty crazy. I wonder if they will ever go that small again?

Does the Irving Plaza show in 2000 count as a small venue?

I'm restricting my comments just to full tour dates, i.e. part of the main itinerary of a tour. But yeah, if you count promo tour appearances and some other various dates, you can find a few smaller attendances - Irving Plaza and Man Ray Club in 2000, London Astoria in 2001, Somerville Theatre 2011, etc. I think most/all of these off-tour small dates did not have tickets available to the general public either, being limited to contest winners and so forth.

According to my memory somebody identified an Elevation Tour show of around 11,000 as the smallest post-Lovetown, but I could be pulling that out of thin air?

Probably South Bend, Indiana. I was at that show, and it was very small. I think 11,000 is what I've heard for that. The tip of the heart went almost all the way to the edge of the floor section, and the seats were right in front of it! It felt like a really big high school gymnasium!

Also, check on the Forum in Copenhagen. If I remember correctly it held around 10,000.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Probably South Bend, Indiana. I was at that show, and it was very small. I think 11,000 is what I've heard for that. The tip of the heart went almost all the way to the edge of the floor section, and the seats were right in front of it! It felt like a really big high school gymnasium!

Also, check on the Forum in Copenhagen. If I remember correctly it held around 10,000.

Just had a look and you're quite right on both counts. The Copenhagen Forum holds 10,000, and South Bend was only a shade over 11,000 in 2001 (today's capacity is apparently below 10,000 after renovations).

Though speaking of squeezing production into a small venue, I'd have loved to see the Popmart gig in Perth, the only show of that tour in an arena. The olive didn't fit! But they got the screen and lemon in there.

Just had a look and you're quite right on both counts. The Copenhagen Forum holds 10,000, and South Bend was only a shade over 11,000 in 2001 (today's capacity is apparently below 10,000 after renovations).

Though speaking of squeezing production into a small venue, I'd have loved to see the Popmart gig in Perth, the only show of that tour in an arena. The olive didn't fit! But they got the screen and lemon in there.

Yeah that Perth show was a sellout with a grand total of 13,775 people. Bit odd they would do an arena show there when the rest of the tour was stadiums.

Yeah that Perth show was a sellout with a grand total of 13,775 people. Bit odd they would do an arena show there when the rest of the tour was stadiums.

Only Aussie Popmart show to sell out, I believe. In light of the crappy attendances elsewhere, I'm not sure they would have done much better than 13,775 in Perth even if they had played Subiaco or the WACA.

Eh, yeah, what about it?

We don't know anything about the tour. Don't read too much into rumours at this point, most is 100% bullshit. I'll believe it when it's officially announced so I can start preparing for the ticket sales. :wink:

I've always wondered, was the Popmart Perth show SUPPOSED to be in a stadium but got downsized once they realized attendance was going to be so low? Or was it always in that arena from the moment it went on sale?

Brisbane had below 20,000 in the same stadium they sold out on Zoo and Vertigo. That Aussie/japan portion of Popmart had to be a financial disaster. I would think it probably lost money, but the shows were so successful in South America and South Africa that it helped eat the loss.

Popmart Perth wasn't downsized, at least not publicly - it was in the Burswood Dome from the moment it went on sale. I don't know if there was an intention to schedule a stadium originally, but it's worth noting that they had already settled on the Burswood Dome at a time when they believed there might still be second shows in Sydney and Tokyo.

It's astonishing just how badly Popmart sold in Australia. We talk about North America being terrible, but Australia was on the same level. You can see why they originally considered arenas for Vertigo. And then they ended up doing, for example, three shows in Sydney in a stadium roughly twice the size of the one they couldn't sell out for a single date on Popmart. And the market in southeast Queensland has recovered so well from its sub-20,000 nadir in 1998 that in 2010 they could do two stadium shows in Brisbane.

I've always wondered, was the Popmart Perth show SUPPOSED to be in a stadium but got downsized once they realized attendance was going to be so low? Or was it always in that arena from the moment it went on sale?

Brisbane had below 20,000 in the same stadium they sold out on Zoo and Vertigo. That Aussie/japan portion of Popmart had to be a financial disaster. I would think it probably lost money, but the shows were so successful in South America and South Africa that it helped eat the loss.

Perth was always an arena gig. I think they had a feeling sales wouldn't be great due to results elsewhere.
The Sydney gig of that tour sold out day of release with 38,000 (still a reduced capacity). But Brisbane (18k) and Melbourne (24k) seem laughable now. I was at that Melbourne gig and no way was there only 24k there. I think they may have "papered the house" there.

The Sydney gig of that tour sold out day of release with 38,000 (still a reduced capacity).

Are you sure it sold that fast? It's obviously a reduced capacity, so not truly a sellout, and if it sold out day of release then I thought they'd have put on sale the planned second date?

Are you sure it sold that fast? It's obviously a reduced capacity, so not truly a sellout, and if it sold out day of release then I thought they'd have put on sale the planned second date?

Well I remember ringing them back in '97 and one of the phone operators (that's how you had to do it back then!) told me it was completely sold out and mentioned it took a couple of hours to sell out. Of course he could have just been making it sound better than it was. I was expecting a second gig though.

Huh. It's weird that it sold so well in Sydney yet so pitifully in Melbourne (not to indulge in lazy Queensland stereotypes, but I can see it being very put off by Pop; I lived there at the time and heard heaps of eighties U2 on the radio but barely a note from Pop). Small sample but all the Kiwis I know who came to Australia for Popmart went for Sydney first, so perhaps it was bolstered by more external demand than Melbourne. On other tours demand in Melbourne has been really close to demand in Sydney.

I hate to think how badly Popmart would've sold if they'd gone to New Zealand... even ZooTV there was not a strong seller. Must be one of the few global markets where that was the case?

I hate to think how badly Popmart would've sold if they'd gone to New Zealand... even ZooTV there was not a strong seller. Must be one of the few global markets where that was the case?

Were there any poor selling Zoo TV shows? I've never really researched that. I didn't really start paying attention until Popmart.

Were there any poor selling Zoo TV shows? I've never really researched that. I didn't really start paying attention until Popmart.

ZooTV Christchurch did markedly worse than Lovetown Christchurch. On Lovetown, the gig was the biggest ever in Christchurch. ZooTV was never on track to beat that mark. Likewise, there were two Lovetown shows in Auckland but only one ZooTV - and all this happened despite there being no Wellington show on ZooTV either.

RAH/Lovetown really was U2's high water mark in both Australia and New Zealand.

Back
Top Bottom