Stranger In A Strange Land - Disliked?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redhill

Refugee
This is my favorite song from October and on one of the prominent fansites (should I mention the name?!)...it was polled as being in second to last place in terms of being voted as favorite...

Does anyone else love this song?

I don't have time right now to gush about how exceptional it is...but I could ;]

redhill said:
this is my favorite song from october and on one of the prominent fansites (should i mention the name?!)...it was polled as being in second to last place in terms of being voted as favorite...

Does anyone else love this song?

I don't have time right now to gush about how exceptional it is...but i could ;]

+1

I don't like "Stranger in a Strange Land" or "Is That All?".

I find the other 9 tracks on October all worthy, however.

Perhaps if they would've tried Stranger in a strange land or Is That All live they both might have grown into better song. I consider with a shout to be much worse than both of these songs.

I'm a pretty forgiving U2 fan. I can find the good in almost everything they've done. Except GOYB and Big Girls are best. SIASL is a very underrated gem from a very underrated gem of an album!

I'm trying to remember what this song sounds like. I'm having a really hard time. I think I'm a bad fan.

I love Bono's vocal on it:

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f189/i-heart-october-192035.html

[Bono:] We were going to Berlin, we were all in the back of a van in our sleeping bags and we had to travel through the corridor between East Germany and West Berlin. And we were stopped by this border guard. The song was just a little portrait of him. He was our own age, with short hair, in a uniform and his life was pretty grim and he was seeing these guys in a rock 'n' roll band passing through. I had a feeling that he realized how much we had in common, and yet it was all over so quickly.
(from "Into The Heart" by Niall Stokes)

It's a very very good song, extremely atmospheric. I love the closing refrain" Oh I wish you were here".

I have all on my ipod. Blame Steve Jobs. He made the shuffle function. My shuffle function ignores october. :wink: But yeah, there's way over 2000 songs to choose from, so can't blame it.

Stranger In A Strange Land, Is That All? and Red Light. All up there as probably the worst songs U2 have put on a commercial full length album. There are other weak tracks on their albums, but these 3 stand out as the just awful ones to me. Never listen to them, the rest of their weak tracks I can listen to on occassion. They should have just left Is That All? as The Cry as it was live, would have been way better than the disjointed mess it became on October.

i-am-the-1-kids-shirts.png

Hmm.. just got done reading that book, and you know? That doesn't have anything to do with this discussion.

"Stranger in a Strange Land" is one of my favorites off of "October." It doesn't belong in the same category as "Playboy Mansion" or other U2 songs I despise (such as "Pride".)

I don't like the song. When I think of it, I mostly think of how it starts, which is immediately off-putting to me for some reason. One of my least favorite intros to any U2 song.

Back
Top Bottom