Spiderman Discussion - Part III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh please that doesn't prove anything, but if you want to believe that feel free, I certainly don't care. I just think the project is dead now and as a result I'm not that interested by it any more.
This thread is no longer that interesting without your Iraqi Information Minister vibe posts.

9c5Qd.jpg

If 'Spiderman-The Musical' was an ironic commentary on something...then that comparison would make sense.

Everyone talks about the "irony" in ZOO TV. I failed to see any then or any now.

I also fail to see any in PopMart.

What U2 was doing was mocking our over-indulgent society. That's not irony (unless you are Alanis Morissette and use the word incorrectly). The only irony was that people were agreeing with this mocking, to only then turn around and do the very thing that was mocked.

In U2's attempts to mock, they created ridiculous sets, characters and videos. And if Cash was fine with that, then I don't think he'd have a problem with anything now.

doctorwho doesn't fuck around, GAF! The fuck is wrong with you?

That's right beyatch! Now please shut your trap. :madwife:

yeah, he seriously must have balls the size of boulders!!

In all seriousness, I fully agree - if there's any truth to Bono directing, then :yikes: . That said, given how much criticism the show was receiving already, I'm glad something is being done to at least give it a chance.

Just don't tell the PLEBA women about Bono's balls. :sexywink:

Everyone talks about the "irony" in ZOO TV. I failed to see any then or any now.

What U2 was doing was mocking our over-indulgent society. That's not irony (unless you are Alanis Morissette and use the word incorrectly). The only irony was that people were agreeing with this mocking, to only then turn around and do the very thing that was mocked.

Sorry DW, nothing personal...you've just touched on a pet-peeve of mine.
About re-writing U2's history to make the present form of U2 more digestible.

I suppose this^ disconnect might explain some of your general blind allegiance and excuse making to 'U2 and all that they do'.

Something is ironic when the actions have (or are intended to have) the opposite effect of what is otherwise expected. It is meant (by the 'author' - in literary or 'performance' situations) to emphasize a truth or lesson by deliberately giving a false impression over and over.

ZooTv and POPmart, when you get right down to it, were satires of 'rock shows' that used irony to illustrate a certain something. ZooTv was about information overload (desensitization) and the use of info-tainment as news. It was POPmart that was mocking consumerism and our "over-indulgent society".

All the while U2 were feigning the 'rock star' as both a statement about fame and as a contrast to their previous selves (self-righteous/earnest). This is inherently, intentionally ironic as part of the overall 'satire'.

BUT....

If you are of the 'apologist' breed of Interferencers who have allowed themselves to be deluded enough to convince yourself that U2 have ALWAYS been the same...in order to defend them with blanket generalizations about their ambitions and how they've sought out to reach those ambitions...you surely wouldn't see ZooTv as basically a satire that used irony. You would see it as pretty straightforward.

Which is not only a historical revision (a la political spin) it is abosolutely, categorically, demonstrably WRONG.

As for your last comment, there are more types of 'irony' than the unintentional irony you describe. Perhaps you should Google both that and a basic history of ZooTv's inception. Which is something you surely already know but have allowed yourself over the passage of time - to become convinced 'that's not really what they meant - it's the exact same as the Vertigo Tour - all those critics don't 'get it' -

yeah right, maybe that works with people who were in Kindergarten or weren't even born in 1992, but some of us were around back then and can't be fooled by the loyalist spin doctors seeking to rewrite the history of U2 to conform to their present 'something resembling a fame whore' incarnation.

Again, nothing personal - but you've got to be kidding me here...

In U2's attempts to mock, they created ridiculous sets, characters and videos. And if Cash was fine with that, then I don't think he'd have a problem with anything now.

Do yourself a favour and look up "dramatic irony"

I lost the will to live about 4 pages into this- is this Spiderblunder thing still happening or have Bono and Edge decided to stop dicking around with this thing and get on with some U2 business?

cheers!

Zoo TV was absolutely fucking drenched in irony, it's arteries were clogged with the stuff. PopMart a little less so, but it still smashed you over the head with it. Anyone who can't see that really doesn't understand U2 in the Nineties, or they were sleepwalking through that particular era.
During Elevation/Vertigo/360, U2 became the very tired old rock star caricatures and media whores that they ironically portrayed during the 90s - and that in itself is also ironic!

Well I think PopMart was suppose to be ironic, but didn't actually come off that way... it was almost as if they couldn't decide to be sincere or cartoon like.

I think this is one of the reasons it didn't do so well here in the States.

PopMart didn't do well in the US because they marketed Pop as a dance album.

Having a shitty first show certainly didn't help.

They should have taken the ZooTV approach to Popmart and kicked it off with an arena run in the US. Then graduated the show and staging - and the songs - to the stadium.

here are the dates - they fit in pretty well around the tour dates indeed...

Lead producers Michael Cohl and Jeremiah J. Harris announced today that SPIDER-MAN Turn Off The Dark has rescheduled its opening night for Tuesday, June 14, 2011. In addition, to allow rehearsal time for the new changes being implemented in the show, performances from Tuesday, April 19th to Wednesday, May 11th have been cancelled with preview performances resuming on Thursday, May 12th. This amended schedule will allow the time necessary to execute the plan, which will include revisions to the script.

Read more: Breaking News: SPIDER-MAN to Shut Down April 19 - May 11; Open June 14, 2011 2011/03/11

Zoo TV was absolutely fucking drenched in irony, it's arteries were clogged with the stuff. PopMart a little less so, but it still smashed you over the head with it. Anyone who can't see that really doesn't understand U2 in the Nineties, or they were sleepwalking through that particular era.
During Elevation/Vertigo/360, U2 became the very tired old rock star caricatures and media whores that they ironically portrayed during the 90s - and that in itself is also ironic!
This, right here, is more content in one post than you will find in the entirety of PLEBA or the "indie" subforums like Every Artist is a Cannibal.

Soooooooo, what are they doing between now and April 19?

I don't get it. Are they still charging full ticket prices for a preview of a show that is being overhauled?

yeah... i can't get my head around that either... other than it's to rake in as much money as possible... it really is outrageous...

maybe they've sold tons of tickets between now and then and want to keep hold of the funds...

wonder what will happen if people start demanding refunds in the meantime??? if i had a ticket during that period i definitely would be pissed and would want a refund, that's for sure...

Ok, so I finally saw this show last night. And I was underwhelmed and that was after all of the negative reviews. While I must say that the staging is awesome and there are some great songs (I particularly liked bullying by numbers, bouncing off the walls, turn off the dark and boy falls) the pacing of this show is really a mess and as a result a lot of the songs, like the narrative, don't seem to move the story forward or anywhere at all really.

I am glad to hear that thy are shutting this show down to try and rebuild it. The show has potential but right now it feels like there are 3 or 4 half ideas all smashed together but they certainly have no real flow.

I'm glad I saw it but I can readily say this thing needs work.

That being said the crowd was loud and loved it so maybe it's just me.

Just my 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom