Slane 2009 is announce tomorrow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jimjam

Acrobat
and the ruomours are that it is beween U2 and Oasis to be the band headlining this year!!

Yeah that is a no brainer. Oasis have already opened for U2 on Popmart and the Elevation tours. No reason to switch now!
They better record this one on DVD too if it's true!

It was announced today that Oasis will be headlining,
pity, cause they wont put on half as good a show as U2 would have,
looks like either The O2 or The Phoenix Park for U2,
as much as id love to experience an indoor U2 gig, It is more likely they will play The Phoenix Park.

It was announced today that Oasis will be headlining,
pity, cause they wont put on half as good a show as U2 would have,
looks like either The O2 or The Phoenix Park for U2,
as much as id love to experience an indoor U2 gig, It is more likely they will play The Phoenix Park.

I've heard they are going to play CROKE PARK five times in 2009!

wtf?! Oasis? That's fucking stupid...U2 are waay bigger than Oasis....can someone explain how this happens? :angry:

wtf?! Oasis? That's fucking stupid...U2 are waay bigger than Oasis....can someone explain how this happens? :angry:

Oasis has an album out right now, and U2 may not for quite some time. Oasis is the safer choice.

Ah, I've finally figured it out! "Bands that should release albums and play concerts" and "bands that are not U2" are mutually exclusive for you.

I heard the Croke park thing aswell. That there were 4 summer concerts being planned for some summer homecoming or so. But it wasn't anything confirmed yet so I doubt it.

There's also a limit of 3 concerts a Croke Park a year so...I doubt they'll get 5

But John, it's U2 we're talking about here. U2! EYKIW will tell you they're bigger and better than everyone else. Well, ATYCLB sucks. And HTDAAB sucks. So does Pop. And Passengers. RAH is a patchy piece of crap. Let's not talk about October. Zooropa is garbage. In fact, everything U2 has ever released is crap. But - don't stop listening to EYKIW yet - it's still U-fuckin'-2! Of course they can play five concerts. Limits of three concerts are meaningless for a band as big as U2!

Anyway, Bono's the King of Ireland. He can do what he likes.

bonoking-1.jpg

You rang?

We are in the presence of The King! Bow down suckers!

Anyway I think U2 could headline Slane in 2010 after they had a year of practice during their very own world tour. I could see that happening.

hahaha oh COME ON! calm the hell down. Oasis are actually TOURING and have an ALBUM out. Why would they pick U2 to headline right now when they're still holed up in a studio with no word on when anything's going to surface? Other than the fact that they're U2, Irish, have done Slane before and are your favourite band.

I can see U2 purposely avoiding Slane '09 simply because they have already immortalized the magic there. Maybe in a few more years, maybe never again. It has been conquered, so to speak.

I thought U2 played Croke Park in 2001, which would be seven years. It was also a year after ATYCLB was released. That means Croke Park 2010, which has a nice ring to it.

I think it has more to do with scheduling, last word on the street I had was that the times of the year that they will hit N. America and Europe are going to be somewhat different than past tours (and would mean indoor venues, at least in Europe).

There's also a limit of 3 concerts a Croke Park a year so...I doubt they'll get 5
But John, it's U2 we're talking about here. U2! EYKIW will tell you they're bigger and better than everyone else. [...] Of course they can play five concerts. Limits of three concerts are meaningless for a band as big as U2!

Anyway, Bono's the King of Ireland. He can do what he likes.

Sarcasm aside, it is true that U2 can get a bit more done in Ireland than other acts (either Irish or non-Irish). Just look at 2001, when they could get 2 Slane concerts (I believe some law or regulation had to be altered for that). Still, it would be too soon now to announce U2 as headliners for Slane. And with hindsight of the situation in 2001 (i.e. massive demand) I doubt they headline Slane again as long as they are as big as they are now (or were in 2001).

There is absolutely no reason to have U2 on the bill when U2 themselves have no idea when they'll be done.

I thought U2 played Croke Park in 2001, which would be seven years. It was also a year after ATYCLB was released. That means Croke Park 2010, which has a nice ring to it.

Are you talking about Croke Park (a stadium for Gaelic sports in Dublin) or Slane (a location just outside Dublin on the grounds of Slane Castle)? U2 played Slane in 2001 and Croke Park in 2005. I don't think that Croke Park 2010 will have any significance...
:shrug:

Sarcasm aside, it is true that U2 can get a bit more done in Ireland than other acts (either Irish or non-Irish). Just look at 2001, when they could get 2 Slane concerts (I believe some law or regulation had to be altered for that). Still, it would be too soon now to announce U2 as headliners for Slane. And with hindsight of the situation in 2001 (i.e. massive demand) I doubt they headline Slane again as long as they are as big as they are now (or were in 2001).

Laws don't matter when you're U2! I mean everyone in Ireland loves U2 so why shouldn't we have them play 5 times in the middle of a residential area; who would ever object?

Back
Top Bottom