Remember When Bullet f#%king Rocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I remember hearing Bullet at 6 years of age.. JT was the only rock record my parents owned.. everything else was classical/jazz/folk. it sounded HUGE

ZooTv performances of bullet were amazing. I'm really glad they dropped it this tour because they'll never recreate this. :up: Every performance since ZooTv just totally underwhelmed me.

Popmart's version was particularly menacing; the Vertigo tour version was haunting.

Great up through the Elevation tour. After that Edge got bored and tried something bluesy for the solo and it's been shite ever since.

I miss Popmart's mean-as-hell version. That was fucking rock and roll.

And funky. It was mean-as-hell, funky and fucking rock and roll.

I do miss it, but don't necessarily want them to bring it back. Unless it's going to kick my ass into next Thursday.

I think the Vertigo versions lacked energy, but the Elevation performances were typically spine-tingling, both DVDs from that tour captured some incredible versions. I don't think anyone here doubted it on all its prior tours.

I only want it to come back if/when they have a passionate reason to play it, not just because the audience expects it.

The song takes on different meanings each tour. Pre-9/11, "Bullet" took on a very different meaning on the Elevation Tour. It was a song about a country not in a war, yet at a war with itself (gangs, violence, etc.). The trio of "anti-war" songs on Vertigo, worked well IMO, but I actually liked the performance of "Love and Peace" the best. And perhaps that's why "Bullet" faded a bit for some on this tour - because the emphasis was on this song.

What I found interesting in this ZOO TV performance is that the "kermit" voice still lived. ;)

Bullet was probably the lowlight of the Vertigo setlists. made even worse by tacking on two snippets, one average and the other horrendously boring, which pushed it beyond seven minutes.

Pride into Streets didn't work as well as the Zoo TV, Popmart or Elevation segues. (or the current Amazing Grace-Streets combo on 360)

Pride into Streets didn't work as well as the Zoo TV, Popmart or Elevation segues. (or the current Amazing Grace-Streets combo on 360)

That's not really true. There were plenty of people singing along to the Pride chant as the strings fired up for Streets in alot of the venues I went to. I don't think it's any different than using AIWIY or the WGRYWH outtro from Bad, really (although Pride could have used an adrenaline shot, to be sure). That type of segue still depends on a sing-along with the audience...having said that of course the Zoo and Pop segues were amazing, but something very different happens there in that the music doesn't stop, so that lends itself to a smoother segue because really aside from cheering the audience isn't really a part of the segue, so the band can control it alot easier. ie what if less people sing along the night you decide to film, etc.

Eh, even when the crowd sang along, I still don't think it worked nearly as well as other transitions.

I've said it before, but my favorite version of Bullet can be located at track number 4 on the album The Joshua Tree.

The motherfuckin' studio cut. Bono never recreated that perfect vocal delivery in concert.

Edge's "sky" bit in the chorus, actually the whole chorus, has always bothered me because the rest of the song is very bad ass and the chorus isn't as edgy.

Eh, even when the crowd sang along, I still don't think it worked nearly as well as other transitions.

As the other singalongs? I'd agree with the ZOO and Pop transitions being better, but as I mentioned because there was music happening...awesome ethereal stuff that lent well to the opening of Streets ( :bow: Edge)

I'm just saying I don't think the crowd singing "oh oh-oh oh" is any worse or better than them singing "yaaaaahoooooooo" or whatever. :shrug:

Maybe it doesn't work as well for me because the crowd seemed so unwilling to carry through the oh-oh-ohs of Pride, whereas on Elevation, I don't know that I heard any bootlegs where the crowd wasn't hollering the YOUUUUUUs or HOW LONGs at the top of their lungs without needed to be coerced by Bono.

That always kind of puzzled me, to be honest. I don't know why the oh-oh-ohs of Pride didn't seem to encourage the singing as much as the other songs.

Back
Top Bottom