Ordinary Love

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just said this on the new album thread, but Oliver Jeffers said in his Instagram teaser that he'll be showing his project (which pretty clearly seems to be the "Ordinary Love" lyric video) "in a few days" so we must be close.

Just said this on the new album thread, but Oliver Jeffers said in his Instagram teaser that he'll be showing his project (which pretty clearly seems to be the "Ordinary Love" lyric video) "in a few days" so we must be close.

yeah but it was posted 3 weeks ago wasn't it?

You do realize that 99.9% of the planet is completely unaware that there's a new U2 song coming out soon, much less that it's for a Nelson Mandela biopic.

So however awkward, for lack of a better word, the marketing behind Ordinary Love appears to be, the fact of the matter is that for a majority of people it will be a big surprise when they hear it for the first time.

You do realize that 99.9% of the planet is completely unaware that there's a new U2 song coming out soon, much less that it's for a Nelson Mandela biopic.

So however awkward, for lack of a better word, the marketing behind Ordinary Love appears to be, the fact of the matter is that for a majority of people it will be a big surprise when they hear it for the first time.

:up:

USA Today has picked up the story, so it's probably down to like 93.6% now.

U2 issuing 10-inch single for Record Store Day

I'm a bit torn about trying to pick up the RSD single. The lingering U2 collector in me must have it, but I am also trying to pare down. Also, I actually will be in Paris on vacation that day, and I'm not sure if I want to chase down a participating store while there and hope they have it... Of course, if there is a regular CD single release of it, then I won't bother...

I'm torn because I usually lock myself up away from the madness of Black Friday, I get what they're doing but I wish they had kept RSD the once a year thing it was. U2 released Wide Awake in Europe on Black Friday RSD before and I stuck by my guns and didn't go out, I think I'm going to have to break down and look for this one though. Fortunately I have a friend from high school who manages a Newbury Comics, maybe I can get an inside track and not waste too much time.

I'm not familiar with Record Store Day singles. Is it a very limited release, and do they go away after that day?

Yes, Wide Awake in Europe was limited to 5,000, the rumor is Ordinary Love will be limited to 10,000.

Any of you know of some store that ships outside of the US (of course, a shop that will have the 10")?

Most stores that participate in RSD agree not to hold or ship the limited editions, because the idea is to drive traffic into indie stores. You can check the participating stores list on their site and ask people though.

Hmm...
I'll be roadtripping through California then. Of course, I might spend Black Friday trying to get hold of a copy (probably plenty of record stores in the San Francisco area). But then I still need to figure out how to keep the record in one piece while travelling with a backpack.
*goes looking for online shop to have it shipped to the Netherlands*

Most stores that participate in RSD agree not to hold or ship the limited editions, because the idea is to drive traffic into indie stores. You can check the participating stores list on their site and ask people though.

Last RSD I found that less stores were willing to sell over the phone as the year before, and some of those who did agree to do so, jacked their prices up. I was very fortunate to get many of the releases I wanted, but had to call all over the country to acquire them. Ebay will def have it, but be prepared to pay.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Luck!

Which is fair enough. The whole point of RSD is to get people into stores and buying records.

Agreed! Unfortunately, not all record stores participate and since they are a dying breed (hence RSD), finding one in your area isn't always an option.

It is a really cool affair though, and so many terrific treats from artists are offered. Again, luck!

Which is fair enough. The whole point of RSD is to get people into stores and buying records.

Not so fair as we don't have a RSD here.

The "into store" part is very romantic but the important part is selling the records and that could be made online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom