New blackberry ad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
doctorwho, I respect you and like your posts, but please... PLEASE, never equate U2 with Transformers again :crack:

:bonocrab: = :bonodrum: = :macdevil: = :bono:

U2 in disguise! TransformU2!

Just to add an update, I watched a brief item on Yahoo news video and prior to it, the U2-Blackberry ad played. :hyper: If I have to watch ads on the 'net, at least it was a little U2 video. :up:

I'll admit it: I had chills when I first saw it, because it was so unexpected. U2 alert!

The first 20 seconds are pure gold, and I love Bono's vocal at the top.

I was playing "Crazy Tonight" at work when people were leaving and someone said "hey that's the new Blackberry song". He didn't have the album but he knew the song and loved it. Of course I told him he should hear the rest of the album.. it's great.

So what cha gonna do? :hmm:

So did I hallucinate, or are they using footage from this ad to advertise the NSW vs QLD state of origin rugby league match over here? Suppose Blackberry are involved with the NRL.

So did I hallucinate, or are they using footage from this ad to advertise the NSW vs QLD state of origin rugby league match over here? Suppose Blackberry are involved with the NRL.

They used Get on Your Boots for the promotion of the game. It was okay I guess, but then the voice over guy said 'U2 are gonna love this', that was a very cringeworthy moment. :crack:

everytime time this topic comes up, in whatever form it is (this time its the blackberry ad) there is only 1 answer.

U2 is not selling out now. Theyve always sold out. They have always wanted to be the biggest band in the world, and did whatever it took to get mainstream notice. This is what it takes now. get over it.

like it or dont like it, fine discuss away if you want. its a boring topic to me. But please dont say its a new 'low'. 1, its not the 1st time. 2. saying the ipod commercial was OK, but this isnt is complete ignorance. a blackberry plays music. in fact there are huge hard drives on blackberries to store said music. This is no different than the ipod commercial. Would an iphone commercial with U2 be OK?? thats all a blackberry is. A much better, more advanced iphone.

blackberry owns the portable business world. they are trying to take a bigger piece of the portable entertainment world.

theyre using U2. u2 is using them to bring us this tour which would otherwise not exist with the claw. U2 used MTV to get their music out there, when MTV played music. MTV used U2 to get exclusive access to a huge band that brought in viewers and therefore ad revenue. its the way it always is. there have always been deals going on.

can we please get back to discussing how awesome the Edge guitar work is in the commercial and find out how to get a copy of this version of the song.

Vlad, do you know if they've shown all the SoO games in SA, or is this the only one?

They've shown all of the SoO games from 1 to 3, if that's what you're asking but as far as I know the promotion for it with Boots only began in the lead up to game 2. That's all I know.

I finally saw this commerical on Tv last weekend and then again this afternoon...gave me chills..awesome! I :heart: Crazy :)

I've seen a few times. A few weeks ago I picked up a book on U2 from the Oxfam and I saw a quote from Paul saying that they will never except sponsorship, and he criticised MJ and Paul McCartney for doing this saying that they lacked dignity, and yet 20 years latter, he's doing the same thing. Now this may be a generational thing because I don't see how this lacks dignity. I don't have any problem with this sponsorship but if they can change their mind on this, what else will they change their mind on?

I've seen a few times. A few weeks ago I picked up a book on U2 from the Oxfam and I saw a quote from Paul saying that they will never except sponsorship, and he criticised MJ and Paul McCartney for doing this saying that they lacked dignity, and yet 20 years latter, he's doing the same thing. Now this may be a generational thing because I don't see how this lacks dignity. I don't have any problem with this sponsorship but if they can change their mind on this, what else will they change their mind on?

Well the industry as a whole has changed since then. You have easy access to "free" music, MTV is dead, the economy sucks, and even the "indie" artists are found on commercials...

I hope they don't change their mind about other things that I would consider lacking dignity because people are worried about their jobs and they don't hearing lazy Milli-Vinelli types, druggy cheating athletes and MP's fiddling their finances. Plus there's a rat in my home, what am I gonna do?

2007-08-01-RemytheRatiii.JPG

He wouldn't hurt you...

Blossom would be scarred. She always been a nervous little thing. She sometimes cries if she hears someone go near her cage. She can be awake in her cage until someone makes a sudden noize or movement and she fleas into her bed.
The pet shop thought she was a male when we first got her. She was in with a cage full of males and I called her Bono. It wasn't until she came on heat we realized she was a female.

Last edited:

I wish we could all go back 20 years (those of us that can....) and look at the things we said, or even the things we did and see if those still hold true.

I'm almost positive a value or two has changed over that time period. Though it is a bit tougher of a pill to swallow when we are more critical of something back then and now embrace it :)

I hope they don't change their mind about other things that I would consider lacking dignity because people are worried about their jobs and they don't hearing lazy Milli-Vinelli types, druggy cheating athletes and MP's fiddling their finances. Plus there's a rat in my home, what am I gonna do?

Wait.....what? :crack:

Anyways, I like the ad :up:

I think you may be a bit harsh.

20 years ago - maybe more - the world was different. U2 could get their music on the radio, as could tons of other artists. MTV played music and helped many artists break out (and some helped MTV break out).

Now that's all changed. As I've written, NLOTH is the only album released this year to top 3M copies sold, worldwide, to date. As such, it is the best selling album released this year. Their tour was sold out long before it started. Despite this, radio stations claim that their listeners don't want to hear U2. Really? Because it appears they do very much so want to hear U2.

The effects of the tour and "Crazy" are already showing. The album has bounced up in the charts around the world. It's sad that U2 can't get their songs played, but it appears ads on TV or performing on Letterman or SNL or something similar is the way to go these days.

I know people would love to have intimate little U2 shows, where tickets are $30 and maybe there are only 2000 in attendance. But the price to pay for being a big band is a lot of fans. U2 have a stadium tour. The biggest complaint I heard for the JT tour is that people couldn't see them. So stage spectacle is now key. U2 need huge screens for all in the audience to enjoy.

But U2 still want reasonable ticket prices, despite rising prices. In 1989 and 1990, U2 were criticized in Ireland for their high ticket prices (at the time). No sponsor came at a cost. I guess the attitude was U2 shouldn't make any money and perform for free. :rolleyes: Now, 20 years later, one could still get some tickets at those 1989 prices, despite inflation. Why? Sponsors.

But again, that comes at a price - namely some commercials. Still, the commercial is classy - it showcases U2, their tour and their new song/album. At the end, there's a Blackberry comment. It's not like U2 are out their holding their Blackberry's up for the world to see.

Besides, don't forget that U2 also did lots of TV in the 80's - just not in the U.S. And Larry did a Harley ad in the late 80's too. So there is consistency - the only change is having a sponsor to keep touring costs down. I, for one, am happy about that. :yes:

Will U2 change again in 20 years? I'd like to think not, but there may come a time when we hear more U2 in commercials. So far, that hasn't happened (no car ads with "Streets" in it, for example). But maybe when U2 are retired and new generations have no idea what a U2 is, they may feel ads and related items are a great way of introducing their music to them. But I don't know - that's up to them. I just hope that if they do this, they continue to do so with the class, elegance and fun of prior ads, TV spots, etc.

Back
Top Bottom