Most epic U2 song

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Running to Stand Still is hardly understated, and live it's positively chill-inducing epic.

The studio version of Running To Stand Still is the epitome of U2 being understated. It's always the first song that comes into my mind.

The live versions have more sense of magnitude to them, yes. But even then it seems much more intimate when compared with the other Joshua Tree or Unforgettable Fire regulars.

October, RTSS, MOTD, Heartland, So Cruel - I don't consider those understated in the least bit.

So Promenade is understated (true that), but October and Mothers of the Disappeared aren't? WTF?

The studio version of Running To Stand Still is the epitome of U2 being understated. It's always the first song that comes into my mind.

The live versions have more sense of magnitude to them, yes. But even then it seems much more intimate when compared with the other Joshua Tree or Unforgettable Fire regulars.

So Promenade is understated (true that), but October and Mothers of the Disappeared aren't? WTF?

Seems to me like you think understated = quieter or slower tempo. Wrong.

Maybe you should go look up the definition of the word and then tell me exactly what about RTSS, MOTD, Momeent of Surrender, 40, Heartland..hell, even October live... IS understated??

Just because Bono isn't wailing away or the Edge doing a UTEOTW solo, that does not render the song understated. All those songs I've listed have really powerful what I consider epic lyrical content, and there are in fact points in the song that are in fact epic musically.

Understated: "Presented or expressed in a subtle and effective way" - there's nothing subtle about those songs imo, they have very pointed and direct messages.

Here are some definitions of the term understatement, which could be applied to the, you know, written portions of the song, the lyrics:

"Restrained"

"a statement that is restrained in ironic contrast to what might have been said"

"The opposite of hyperbole, understatement (or litotes) refers to a figure of speech that says less than is intended."

"A statement which lessens or minimizes the importance of what is meant."

"language that avoids obvious emphasis or embellishment"

NONE of those definitions fit the lyrics (nor, frankly, the musical landscapes) of those songs that I listed.

At any rate, you took one line from my comment and yanked it out of context. I was trying to illustrate that by far the majority of U2's music is really big message, epic landscapes musically type stuff. And I'm absolutely right.

Maybe I should have written "U2 doesn't really do understated all that OFTEN...by far the majority of their work is pretty epic sounding stuff"

Got it?

Well, that makes sense that you're thinking lyrically pointed vs lyrically understated, but I approached "understated" from a musical standpoint.

Well, that makes sense that you're thinking lyrically pointed vs lyrically understated, but I approached "understated" from a musical standpoint.

Even musically for some of these examples...take a song like MOTD...it has a vast, epic landscape feel to it to my ears anyways..quite dramatic. Same goes with Heartland, it's hardly subtle or subdued musically.

That's why I said Promenade sticks out best as an example of beautifully understated..in both aspects it just feels like there's so much more he'd like to say/they'd like to play, but they're reigning it in..and it's beautiful like that.

A Sort Of Homecoming
Where The Streets Have No Name
With Or Without You
Beautiful Day

Even musically for some of these examples...take a song like MOTD...it has a vast, epic landscape feel to it to my ears anyways..quite dramatic. Same goes with Heartland, it's hardly subtle or subdued musically.

That's why I said Promenade sticks out best as an example of beautifully understated..in both aspects it just feels like there's so much more he'd like to say/they'd like to play, but they're reigning it in..and it's beautiful like that.

October, though? How is that anything but understated? Even lyrically?

Seems to me like you think understated = quieter or slower tempo. Wrong.

Maybe you should go look up the definition of the word and then tell me exactly what about RTSS, MOTD, Momeent of Surrender, 40, Heartland..hell, even October live... IS understated??

Just because Bono isn't wailing away or the Edge doing a UTEOTW solo, that does not render the song understated. All those songs I've listed have really powerful what I consider epic lyrical content, and there are in fact points in the song that are in fact epic musically.

Understated: "Presented or expressed in a subtle and effective way" - there's nothing subtle about those songs imo, they have very pointed and direct messages.

Here are some definitions of the term understatement, which could be applied to the, you know, written portions of the song, the lyrics:

"Restrained"

"a statement that is restrained in ironic contrast to what might have been said"

"The opposite of hyperbole, understatement (or litotes) refers to a figure of speech that says less than is intended."

"A statement which lessens or minimizes the importance of what is meant."

"language that avoids obvious emphasis or embellishment"

NONE of those definitions fit the lyrics (nor, frankly, the musical landscapes) of those songs that I listed.

At any rate, you took one line from my comment and yanked it out of context. I was trying to illustrate that by far the majority of U2's music is really big message, epic landscapes musically type stuff. And I'm absolutely right.

Maybe I should have written "U2 doesn't really do understated all that OFTEN...by far the majority of their work is pretty epic sounding stuff"

Got it?

:D

Well well, we are a bit patronizing and cocky on the internetz, aren't we? It makes me laugh how somebody gets so ridiculously worked up over a musical disagreement.

I probably shouldn't bother, but oh well...

Understated: "Presented or expressed in a subtle and effective way" - desribes Running To Stand Still perfectly. And no, I don't think any slower or quieter song is understated (God only knows where you got that conclusion from) - Lemon is a perfect example of an epic song that is musically both slow and (relatively) quiet.

The song presents one of the most subtle representations about a drug addict and his or her downfall. If you compare it to say, Velvet Underground's Heroin (a song that is musically quite "epic"), it's a harshly intimate, even innocent look at addiction. Unlike Until the End of the World, which is literally a story of biblical proportions, Running To Stand Still is a very personal story, and Bono sings in a very delicate, vulnerable manner. It doesn't have the epic feeling of the 4 songs before it, which makes its contrast therefore even more potent.

And before you go on another crazy tirade how you're absolutely right and everybody else is wrong (and most of the people disagree with you on this thread alone)... it's just an internet forum, mate. Nobody gives a shit even if you happen to be right about everything or not.

I'm still laughing BTW. Interference never disappoints.

:D

Well well, we are a bit patronizing and cocky etc etc ...............

Ok well now you've taken it up a notch, but I'm not going to go down the path of name calling and foolishness with you ("cocky" "patronizing" "crazy tirade" etc etc) so I'll just cut you off there.

I'll condense it for you: My point was simply that the majority of U2's work swings more onto the epic side of things than understated. In the context of the original poster's question, I was implying that it would be hard to pick the "most epic" U2 song given that very fact.

Furthermore: It may come as a bit of a shock, but I honestly don't give a shit if you and 5 other people in a thread agree with me or not. If you'll recall, to begin with I simply stated a one line opinion and you decided to jump all over it. I'm not in the least bit angry or worked up over this, but it's slightly amusing that you believe that.

Finally: many fans (and even U2 themselves, probably) feel that the "fulfillment", if you will, of a U2 song comes when they play it live. Therefore, if you think RTSS is the epitome of "understated", it's my opinion that you don't really understand the term.

Over and out. :up:

I agree they don't do it often, but I'm not sure you understand the term understated with reference to music. (Not sure why you defined understatement either, that's completely different.)

The music in Heartland is restrained and subdued! I don't think there'd be one other person who'd disagree with that.

RTSS is certainly not understated live, but the studio version is and it's the example 95% of fans would jump to.

..I don't think there'd be one other person who'd disagree with that.

... it's the example 95% of fans would jump to.

To be honest broad generalizations like that just don't stand up on their own. Do you mean one other person in this thread and/or 95% of U2 fans posting in it? :wink:

(sorry I just get a kick out of statements like that nowadays, I've probably made a few in my time myself)

Bullet the blue sky.

I would say Pride, but they never really captured the song live.

Ok well now you've taken it up a notch, but I'm not going to go down the path of name calling and foolishness with you ("cocky" "patronizing" "crazy tirade" etc etc) so I'll just cut you off there.

I'll condense it for you: My point was simply that the majority of U2's work swings more onto the epic side of things than understated. In the context of the original poster's question, I was implying that it would be hard to pick the "most epic" U2 song given that very fact.

Furthermore: It may come as a bit of a shock, but I honestly don't give a shit if you and 5 other people in a thread agree with me or not. If you'll recall, to begin with I simply stated a one line opinion and you decided to jump all over it. I'm not in the least bit angry or worked up over this, but it's slightly amusing that you believe that.

Finally: many fans (and even U2 themselves, probably) feel that the "fulfillment", if you will, of a U2 song comes when they play it live. Therefore, if you think RTSS is the epitome of "understated", it's my opinion that you don't really understand the term.

Over and out. :up:

Went all over you? I stated that I strongly disagree with you and that was it. You're the one who almost had a whole page of borderly insulting replies to such a minor disagreement pal. So much for not being at least bit worked up. I apologise if I offended you, but really... Take it easy, mate.

And read once again, I'm talking about the studio version of Running To Stand Still. I actually agree with you that the live interpretation of the song is hardly understated. But a lot of casual U2 fans never even heard that song live now did they?

I could go on how it is very vague to divide U2's work into "epic" and "understated", since there are many different colours and dimensions to their work, but I won't bother.

Went all over you? I stated that I strongly disagree with you and that was it. You're the one who almost had a whole page of borderly insulting replies to such a minor disagreement pal. So much for not being at least bit worked up. I apologise if I offended you, but really... Take it easy, mate.

:lmao: Are you freakin serious? Borderline insulting? I get it..borderline insulting > outright name calling. And a whole page? What are you reading this on, your iPhone? Seriously, let it go. Or get laid. Or something.

:lmao: Are you freakin serious? Borderline insulting? I get it..borderline insulting > outright name calling. And a whole page? What are you reading this on, your iPhone? Seriously, let it go. Or get laid. Or something.

Gotta appreciate the irony here... :D

Agree about One Tree Hill. Maybe the response they got in Chicago will convince them that fans outside of New Zealand actually know and like the song. It was one of the better songs on an album that sold 25 million copies or something... it's not like playing "Your blue room" or something.

Hoping to hear it in Pittsburgh!!

changes over time and with the different albums, what's going on in the world etc. at the mo. for nuances, vocal cry, allusion to the tormented soul, band sounding as one brute force, live or studio, wake up dead man!

sunnysideoflove said:
changes over time and with the different albums, what's going on in the world etc. at the mo. for nuances, vocal cry, allusion to the tormented soul, band sounding as one brute force, live or studio, wake up dead man!
That's one of U2's least epic songs.

Back
Top Bottom