Let Your Love Be Known

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well this thread took a turn. :). Enjoyed the new diddy for what it was, a nice little unexpected one off that reflected current events. Since most U2 ideas never die, would not be shocked to see it or pieces of it crop up years from now.

Love is All We Have Left, Red Flag Day, Little Things, Landlady, Blackout, Love is Bigger, Song for Someone, Cedarwood Road, Sleep Like a Baby, Troubles... yeah there's 10 songs good enough there for mine. Still not sure it would rate highly in their overall catalogue though.

I think adding in Crystal Ballroom and Book of Your Heart gives you an album that isn’t their worst. It would be better than NLOTH, HTDAAB, ATYCLB, R&H and possibly war, October and Zooropa. Those last three all have songs that are better, but have really forgettable parts too. At least an album of the best of the last two could be consistent enough to avoid those troughs.

1. LIAWHL
2. the Blackout
3. EBW
4. Cedarwood Rd
5. SLABT
6. RFD
7. Landlady
8. Crystal Ballroom
9. Reach Around
10. Troubles
11. Book of Your Heart
12. Love is Bigger
13. Little Things

That would be a decent album for mine. And it could easily sub lights of Home, SoL or Iris in and not drop too much.

A single album should reflect the theme, innocence to experience back to innocence — in effect, a musical journey to the concept of Second Naïveté, which is what Bono has been getting at all along — https://www.academia.edu/14690650/W...ritical_Theology_and_Progressive_Christianity

And then, it should be the best songs that physically and psychologically progress along said journey.

1. Invisible (innocence + ambition + kill the past + its all about me!me!me!)
2. EBW (first love/loss of literal virginity)
3. Iris (death of mother)
4. RBW (violence in society)
5. CW (violence at home)
6. The Troubles (sexual violence from those supposed to be holy)
7. Lights of Home (strings) (innocence is dead, but there’s a light at the end of the tunnel)
8. The Blackout (only when you know death can you live)
9. Red Flag Day (the interconnectedness of all humanity - no them, only us)
10. Landlady (Had enough of romantic love - love is details)
11. Little Things (destruction of the ego)
12. Love Is Bigger (anything is possible — 2nd naïveté)

A single album should reflect the theme, innocence to experience back to innocence — in effect, a musical journey to the concept of Second Naïveté, which is what Bono has been getting at all along — https://www.academia.edu/14690650/W...ritical_Theology_and_Progressive_Christianity

And then, it should be the best songs that physically and psychologically progress along said journey.

5. CW (violence at home)
7. Lights of Home (strings) (innocence is dead, but there’s a light at the end of the tunnel)
I actually like this a lot. Add 13 in too.

5. CW (violence at home)

Definitely a good flow, I think the rest of the unused tracks from both could be slotted in too and the whole thing could have been a nice double album release.

Enjoyed it for what it was; Bono throwing together some lyrics and some piano. Excited to see what it will become, if anything. At this point, I'm just glad U2 are still thinking about new material at all. They could easily go the way of the Rolling Stones or Aerosmith and just not give a shit and tour for the next 20 years with no new material.

Also, I had a dream last night that Larry told somebody in an interview that U2 wouldn't tour for 3 years. I remember thinking NOOOOOO!!!!!!

The "rock" version is plodding and the vocal melody isn't catchy enough to be the first proper song on the album, with Bono packing too many syllables as usual into the verses. IMO, the string arrangement has a suspenseful feel and gives the song a more dramatic quality which compensates for the track's shortcomings.
Na,maybe I'm just a sucker for the bass in the guitar version. And the drums are pretty decent also. String version is just bland in my opinion.

I actually like this a lot. Add 13 in too.

I’ve been listening to this track list today — first time I’ve listened to these songs in months, watching the Berlin show reminded me these albums exist — and am enjoying it. A lot. Yes, this era has a modern pop sheen that won’t age well, and they’ve clearly lost a few beats creatively from the ‘85-95 glory years (just listen to the bursting, almost effortless creativity in the AB songs from the Berlin show), but these are good songs with interesting concepts and occasionally thought provoking lyrics that very much are in service of The Big Idea (2nd Naïveté).

Bono is aiming high, and I’d say the SOI songs are generally more successful because they make big pronouncements off of intensely personal observations and anecdotes — some of the details he’s offering are really gut wrenching in their intimacy (“she buries the boy beneath the sand” “I was told I’d feel nothing the first time” — it recalls teenage details like “Mrs Brown’s washing is always the same”). Good stuff. “A heart that is broken is a heart that is open” is a gigantic pronouncement, but one that resonates when understood in the context of her death because it is earned . Right there, that’s the U2 origin story.

SOE has the U2 grandeur musically, but winds up tripping over its own word play, and words that wind up being so universal as to mean almost nothing. “Free yourself to be yourself” sounds much better coming from Iris than it does dad Bono.

However, SOE takes flight in its best moments in a way that SOI never really does, at least musically. It has the ecstatic quality — the end of LIB, the strings in LOH, the thumping in Blackout — even if SOI is the tougher, tighter, more honest and maybe rewarding listen. You really get a sense of these guys, and Dublin in the 70s, in a way that SOE has no such grounding. Are we getting a sense of yacht spirituality? Of transcendence through celebrity charity? And I don’t mean these as digs. These are nice guys. But they have a bajillion dollars and nice families and homes in the south of France. What could they possibly be writing about now? The best Bono does lyrically on SOE is in “Sometimes” when he says what ever all been wondering since at least 2009 (if not earlier) — they’re not what they once were. The death songs have the honesty we want, as opposed to the “advice” songs.

This order works, generally, but could easily swap one song for another. RBW and CW are generally thematically similar, which is the stronger song? Also, I don’t love SFS, but I think it’s thematically critical and meant to be an album centerpiece. I love SOL, but went with RFD because they’re similar but I think RFD is a remarkable song, easily top 3 of this decade. I don’t love the flow between The Troubles (best song on SOI) and LOH, but if we had a longer ending then maybe?

This was a decade that had their biggest ever face plant, but also perhaps their second best tour — SOI/E blow Elevation and Vertigo and 360 out of the water — and fans who pay close attention are rewarded with a clear thematic focus across two albums, and Bono has offered himself up in uncharacteristically unheroic terms, at least on SOI, which is refreshing. All this is to be applauded and appreciated. As I’ve said many times about U2 and in terms of their age and stature: no one does this. They don’t have to do this. But they do. We are lucky.

I know this thread is about a nice few thoughts Bono put to music because he (and we all) love Italy and our heart goes out to them. Sorry for the tangent. Quarantine thoughts.

So this is turning into yet another custom SOI/SOE tracklist thread?

Anything without Reach Around is invalid. Not just because it's a great, energetic post-punk song, but because it's about their inspiration to become politically active. The bombings/violence in Ireland reflected in other songs is only one piece of it.

So this is turning into yet another custom SOI/SOE tracklist thread?

Anything without Reach Around is invalid. Not just because it's a great, energetic post-punk song, but because it's about their inspiration to become politically active. The bombings/violence in Ireland reflected in other songs is only one piece of it.

I actively dislike Reach Around. My least favorite song on the album.

Still wish and think U2 should have used Reach Me as the opener for SOI (the album). It would have turned the general listeners head. It would have been 'oh thats the new U2' instead of 'I've heard this before from them'.

And they could've used it as an opener for the 2nd nights along with the Miracle.

Back
Top Bottom