Kendrick Lamar - "XXX." ft. U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And for those scolding me yesterday about saying Stereogum are U2 haters, well, just read their review.
“XXX” is a Kendrick Lamar song — a feverish and intense and pointed and brilliant one — and the “featuring U2″ tag means we get a scant few second of Bono mewling about how America means “a sound of drum and bass” to him.

So yeah, like i said, always ready to throw in a smug hit on U2.
So obnoxious, lol. That section of the song and Bono's refrain is one of the best parts on the album. I mean, they're right that it's light but still.

Last edited:
And for those scolding me yesterday about saying Stereogum are U2 haters, well, just read their review.
“XXX” is a Kendrick Lamar song — a feverish and intense and pointed and brilliant one — and the “featuring U2″ tag means we get a scant few second of Bono mewling about how America means “a sound of drum and bass” to him.

So yeah, like i said, always ready to throw in a smug hit on U2.

They occasionally take shots at U2 but more often than not treat them fairly. The take in that article is juvenile as fuck though, and Tom Breihen is a terrible writer and one of the the worst music critics. Go read his review of Blackstar. It basically boils down to "I'm dumb and lazy."

Even his nagative SOI review praised their previous work though. He is demonstratably not a U2 hater.

The worst I have heard is on the vinyl collective boards - one member said "it doesn't ruin the song, but the 6 seconds of Bono is a pointless feature."

So the worst criticism is someone who assumes a U2 feature is a Bono feature, hates Bono, but still can't find it in himself to hate that part of the song.

This is a big win.

The worst I have heard is on the vinyl collective boards - one member said "it doesn't ruin the song, but the 6 seconds of Bono is a pointless feature."

So the worst criticism is someone who assumes a U2 feature is a Bono feature, hates Bono, but still can't find it in himself to hate that part of the song.

This is a big win.

Can we please just wait till the real U2 fans chime in please?

We're not sure if Edge is on board, or if this was done to tarnish their legacy.

I'm instantly predisposed to dislike the song based on the internet's slobbering reaction to it.

Real Tweets:
"Kendrick Lamar just made me rethink my purpose in life. #DAMN."

"Kendrick Lamar has officially solidified himself as the best rapper alive!"

"2 songs into the album and it's already album of the year."

Ugh. And as much as I loathe Trump, I have to say I'm not looking forward to four years of his being wedged into every song as part of the "resistance". Oh, look, a song saying "fu*k you Trump". How edgy.

With regards to U2, I do think Bono's bit sounds boozy and jazzy, in a good way. It's not bad. But the internet's reaction to their presence isn't exactly as positive as I think many suppose...I read it as more akin to being surprised when your mentally challenged nephew actually manages to tie his shoes without falling over. More like, "wow, U2 doesn't completely suck."

Last edited:
Everybody is going nuts over the DAMN album leak. Bono gets his relevancy mojo back right there by being in the middle of it.

After a better listen on quality speakers, it does sound like Bono is singing the opening lyric (America... God bless you if it's good to you...). His voice is heavily pitch-shifted so I wonder if someone here could try to normalize it?

This article (https://www.google.com/amp/ew.com/music/2017/04/14/kendrick-lamar-damn-highlights/amp/) and this video (https://www.facebook.com/Vox/videos/680822718772000/) attribute it to him as well.

I wonder then if Edge is providing those little echoey opening synths?

Good song and U2 do a good job. Their part is reminiscent of Pop and yet again makes me look forward for a more low key U2 with tinges of soul and jazz. Hopefully they're heartened by their least predictable move in a generation getting an infinitely more positive response thanks their desperate U2 by numbers attempts to write Hitz.

Not a bad idea! I'd love it if they thought that people want unpredictable, groove oriented U2. If they take anything from this it should be that Bono should be integrated into the mix, not towering over it.

They're on more than a few seconds, too.

Last edited:
They'll take the relatively positive reception to the few seconds they're on the song and decide that's what people want to hear, resulting in yet another reimagining of SOE.

Saying the reception is relatively positive is the same as saying the reception to SOI was relatively negative. No weasily understatement is required.

I've made the point in other forums - u2's rhythm section is terribly underrated, and they could be a commercially and critically respected band again if Bono got out of the way a bit. The reaction I've seen most commonly is that people are exceptionally impressed with the music, and surprised Bono didn't ruin it

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Bono's three seconds sound OK, but yeah this song sucks.

I'm instantly predisposed to dislike the song based on the internet's slobbering reaction to it.

Real Tweets:

Ugh. And as much as I loathe Trump, I have to say I'm not looking forward to four years of his being wedged into every song as part of the "resistance". Oh, look, a song saying "fu*k you Trump". How edgy.

Wow, and here I was thinking of late that you were not as much of an idiot as you had been in the past. Way to completely miss the point or recognise any subtleties. :down::down::down:

I think U2 could pull off a jazz or "blue" themed album well. Love Bono's low register and Adam and Larry shine when they slow it down. Give edge some inspiration too that he doesn't have to use his normal signature sound

Back
Top Bottom