Is That All ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This song tends to get criticised on here but I think its great. Full of frenetic energy and I love how in the last minute or so the whole thing really goes for the big climax and ends with a lonely whistle.

Bono is right, their naivety was their greatest strength in the early days, it often produced exciting and unexpected results.

oooh always happy to add my :up: to Is That All threads. Don't care that a lot of people disagree but it's probably my favorite U2 album closer.

This song tends to get criticised on here but I think its great. Full of frenetic energy and I love how in the last minute or so the whole thing really goes for the big climax and ends with a lonely whistle.

Bono is right, their naivety was their greatest strength in the early days, it often produced exciting and unexpected results.

Exactly :)

Perfect closer to October. Stunning song, probably my second favourite on October after Gloria. I'm a huge fan of the lyric. Always gets me thinking.

" Singing This Song Cause I'm Happy
I'm Not Happy With You "

Just personally, whenever I hear The Cry/Electric Co live, I always yearn for it to be a full live Is That All? and it disappoints me that it turns into Electrico.

Severely underappreciated.

Just personally, whenever I hear The Cry/Electric Co live, I always yearn for it to be a full live Is That All? and it disappoints me that it turns into Electrico.

Severely underappreciated.

I wish we could have heard/seen is that all live during JT/Lovetown with his deep screaming vocals :drool:

It's kinda the 'black sheep' of U2 album closing songs. It's very uptempo and in your face. It's a bit chaotic and/or frantic, unlike songs like 'Shadows and Tall Trees' or 'Mother's of the Disappeared'.

I don't think it's the greatest song, but when I first bought that cassette I used to play that song over and over...:rockon:

:hmm:

Maybe, but I'm pretty sure this song was on a lot of people's top 25/top 50 lists in that recent U2 experiment that the Scientist was in charge of. :giggle:

Scarlet would be a far better closing song for October.

No doubt about that.

Remove Is That All, replace Fire with Saturday Night, and find a place for A Celebration on the tracklisting and you've got a really decent record on your hands. But at the moment, I find the album to be a mess.

EDIT: Something a bit like this...

1. Gloria
2. I Threw A Brick Through A Window
3. A Celebration
4. Rejoice
5. I Fall Down
6. October
7. Tomorrow
8. Stranger In A Strange Land
9. Saturday Night
10. With A Shout (Jerusalem)
11. Scarlet

Blasphemy! I love The Refugee! Now that's an underrated U2 song.

Is That All? not so much. I don't know, I just feel that October's last few songs are really what make the album suffer a bit. People around here give HTDAAB so much shit, but I think HTDAAB is leagues above October, and this song is one of the reasons why.

I feel like the lyrics don't really fit the song. Which is fitting, because the lyrics are about writer's block during a time when Bono HAD writer's block, which means he couldn't come up with anything better. Still though, I wish he had.

And "Scarlet" is the only U2 song I find unlistenable.

You think so? Listen to it next to Rejoice.

I stand by my statement; there is stark, punkish energy to "A Celebration" that perfectly fits WAR. In fact, either in the remastered OCTOBER's liner notes or the book U2 BY U2 (I can't remember which), Edge comments that "A Celebration" was the band's first crack at finding the sound they wanted for what was to become the WAR album. Oh yeah, and if anything is getting kicked off of WAR, it's "Red Light", not the jaunty little diddy that is "The Refugee"!

Is That All? not so much. I don't know, I just feel that October's last few songs are really what make the album suffer a bit. People around here give HTDAAB so much shit, but I think HTDAAB is leagues above October, and this song is one of the reasons why.

:grumpy: :angry:

Stranger in a Strange Land makes your statement null and void.

October is a great album that suffered from groupies and naivete, and could have been better.

And The Refugee is trounced by nearly any song from October, and is for me the worst on War.

Back
Top Bottom