Glastonbury-3 Years on!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amazing best u2 (part of) performance at glastonbury ever.

The crowd go wild when edge comes out, i think id have cried if id of been there seeing as u2 had to pull out. What a moment. Looking at edge he walks on with an aura about him, he looked 100% sure of himself. Then watch him playing the opening notes of ebttrt for u2's set. Massive difference.

The crowd lapped it up but Gorilaz were shocking that year maybe the worst headliner ever so when the crowd saw edge they were probaly thinking "god i wish u2 were on last night" it was the year of the glasto heat wave aswell ,the sun stayed out all weekend,30 degrees some days,so everyone was higher then normal and i dont mean drug wise. Bono wasnt there either or maybe the crowd just loved Edge.

The crowd go wild when edge comes out, i think id have cried if id of been there

i very nearly did :lol: my girlfriend at the time turned round to look at me and just laughed because I had the biggest grin on my face apparently watching him play - the whole Muse set was amazing but Streets was an all-time festival highlight for me.

but yeah you're right he looks SO sure of himself, it's great to watch! it's funny seeing him at 3:38ish swinging his guitar up and so on, just really enjoying it. god knows how he must have felt a year later!

glad we got to hear a pretty much perfect performance of that song at glastonbury in SOME form :wink: i still think U2 just tossing it out as song 6 during their own headline set was baffling. even on the 360 tour it was a bit strange, albeit "brave" by U2's setlist standards, but playing your trump card that early during a huge festival set is crazy borderline suicidal!

I didn't care for that performance. It was nice to see Edge there, and nice to see a band I like doing a U2 cover, but hearing Bellamy's voice sing it was just so fucking weird and wrong. :lol:

Yes. The band was tight and Edge was awesome, but Bellamy's voice just didn't sit right with me.

I like Muse, but I'm not a fan of that performance. Still cool of Edge to have showed up that year.

Matt's voice reminds me of how Bono sounded in 1993.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Amazing best u2 (part of) performance at glastonbury ever.

The crowd go wild when edge comes out, i think id have cried if id of been there seeing as u2 had to pull out. What a moment. Looking at edge he walks on with an aura about him, he looked 100% sure of himself. Then watch him playing the opening notes of ebttrt for u2's set. Massive difference.

The crowd lapped it up but Gorilaz were shocking that year maybe the worst headliner ever so when the crowd saw edge they were probaly thinking "god i wish u2 were on last night" it was the year of the glasto heat wave aswell ,the sun stayed out all weekend,30 degrees some days,so everyone was higher then normal and i dont mean drug wise. Bono wasnt there either or maybe the crowd just loved Edge.

Edge fucked up Streets in 2011, but Larry fucked up Real Thing.

Muse aren't very good any more, but they were great from 2001-2006, Thom Yorke aping aside. That Muse+Edge performance is fantastic. I like it more than any U2 version of Streets since 2001.

I went to Glasto in 1995, it seemed a lot smaller back then, were U2 'too big' at that time to headline? Possibly? Were they too 'uncool'? I'm not so sure? The pyramid stage had The Cure, Simple Minds, Page and Plant, Black Crowes to name but a few and this was at the height of Brit Pop.

Jeff Buckley performed at Glastonbury 95 too.

Jeff Buckley performed at Glastonbury 95 too.

So did Oasis (headlined) and Pulp (headlined), so it was pretty Britpop-tastic. Also had Elastica, Charlatans, Menswear, and Verve, who were sorta-but-not-really britpop.

Maybe U2 would have been too big to play. Oasis weren't yet bigger than them; it was a few months before Morning Glory.

That was the famous performance when robbie williams strolled onstage off his tits :)

The media would have found ways anyway to rip them apart. I don't think there was much chance of U2 winning this. Smiling and looking happy and confident surely wouldn't have helped the way some of you are thinking. While I would have liked to see a different, better performance by U2 with better weather and all, I still think it was kind of interesting to see their human side here.

I think with the Glasto trauma they clearly have it's very unlikely they will EVER perform there again, I don't even think they'll do any festival gig ever again. And I don't think they really need to. As a fan, I don't care if U2 is able to convince a snobbish festival crowd or now.

Don't you like Michael Eavis? I have met a few times. He drives down to our shop and has photos in the local paper. He's ever so down to earth and definitely not a snob. I have met a few snobs in my time. Now let me find that picture

I only watched their Glastonbury performance once on youtube. My sense is they (Bono) totally lost the crowd a few songs in and it was downhill from there. Due to the rain and unfamiliar surroundings (away from the comfort of the 360 stage set up) they couldn't recover. In the end they ignored the crowd and instead of projecting outwards to the crowd they tended to just look at themselves more and more as the show went on. Not a way to win a festival crowd. A very un-Bono like performance. It's probably as uncertain and as unconfident I've ever seen U2. Bono gave up.

Musically I thought it was fine.

Muse aren't very good any more, but they were great from 2001-2006, Thom Yorke aping aside. That Muse+Edge performance is fantastic. I like it more than any U2 version of Streets since 2001.

Better than slane castle? Elevation tour in Boston?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Back
Top Bottom