Every album since Zooropa have a weird, shitty, pointless song. Its time for a change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cedars of Lebanon is the best thing on my second-least fave U2 album. Yahweh is my fave U2 song of the zeros. And if anything is an odd pointless song (it isn't) on Zooropa it's "Some days" which is pretty throwaway but still pleasingly odd

I'd love an album full of songs like Cedars, or at least an album that comes from that mindset. U2 could make a good moody album if they really tried.

It's easily in my NLOTH top three.

You know, I never thought you could spell "Boots" like "C-E-D-A-R-S" but you learn something new every day I suppose!

And I'm with the people saying Cedars is one of the best songs on NLOTH, totally agree.

I've never seen anyone with a halfway decent opinion of Zooropa try to take down Daddy's Gonna Pay, usually people don't like Some Days are Better Than Others. .

Usually people don't like Babyface the most, IMO. Babyface is Babypoop. I like Some Days, myself...hell, I love the whole album and even Babyface some days (no pun intended).

But yeah, I can't say I ever remember, ever, in all my years here, someone take down Daddy's Gonna Pay as the worst song on that album. Until now.

And FTR, I love Miami. Screw the haters. In fact, all haters should be forced to listen to the live version from Leeds until they ACCEPT the awesomeness.

I mean, are The Ocean, Is That All, Red Light, 4th of July and Love Rescue Me really any different in purpose or quality than any of the tracks mentioned by OP?

Love Rescue Me is not a flaw.

I thought grace was the worst u2 song ever.
I've heard about this and I never really cared for it one way or another, but lately it keeps making me cry in the middle of my day for no reason. I'm starting to think there might be something in there.

Every album since Zooropa have a weird, shitty, pointless song. Its time for ...

I like every song that was listed in the original post.

This thread needs more oranges.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using U2 Interference mobile app

If you were going to pick on any song off ATYCLB I would have thought that easy whipping boy would be Grace. To be fair you could pick almost any U2 album that has a song deemed as a filler. I know that I skip over a track or two any album I listen to. I don't think that makes them 'shitty' or 'pointless'. The band obviously thought them worthwhile enough to include them into the album.

I understand your point of wanting an album full of musical gold but you can be assured there will always be one song you find pointless that others probably find meaningful.

Miami is a case in point. I actually use to dislike this song until I started listening to it. Now it's a staple in my Pop listening sessions usually in the corner of a dark room in the foetal position :drool:

Someone used to comment "U2 wrote Miami" on a lot U2 youtube videos, I think. Was never really funny in the first place and is now definitely one of the least funny jokes that keeps getting used here.

But how exactly is it a joke? (Being a pedantic pisshead here.) Like, is it "I'm saying something pointless in response to your pointless remark"? I get that it's an old injoke, I just don't understand its intended function.

Nah. Yahweh is the only one you were even close to being right on.

Babyface. Playboy Mansion. Grace. Stand Up Comedy + (pick one from Bomb)
This is the correct answer.

I can confirm that your correct answer is indeed correct!!

Someone used to comment "U2 wrote Miami" on a lot U2 youtube videos, I think. Was never really funny in the first place and is now definitely one of the least funny jokes that keeps getting used here.

Yes. It's only slightly less funny than the Invisible puns.

Frequent use of either is a public IQ test of sorts.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using U2 Interference mobile app

Maybe I'm a bad interferencer, but I totally don't understand the use of this. What? Why?

It was used on YouTube by some trolly troll looking to irritate U2 fans by pointing out that U2 wrote a shitty song. The way I always read it, they were trolling the positive reactions to whatever U2 video was being featured with the implication that since U2 wrote Miami, they must make shit music in general.

Since then, others here have used it to take the piss out of the person on YouTube that originated it, take the piss out of glowing reviews of songs they may not like, others use it to remind us of the travesty that was Miami, and others still just drop it in wherever appropriate because it's amusing.

That's about it. It's harmless.

No he was actually just doing it randomly to have fun. The guy posted on interference for a short while after youtube threatened to ban him.

Yup, I remember he posted in EYKIW about it. It was not THAT long ago, sometime during the NLOTH buildup I think. 2008 ish?

No he was actually just doing it randomly to have fun. The guy posted on interference for a short while after youtube threatened to ban him.

There are so many awful commenters on Youtube, and they wanted to ban that guy?

If we're gong for pointlessness, I think "One Step Closer" has to take the cake. It's an amusing detour the first couple of times you listen to the album and then it does nothing but pad the runtime after that.

Back
Top Bottom