Do Edge and Bono really have tinnitus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Your life isn't wasted. People live and strive under much greater disabilities or painful hindrances everyday.

I know you probably had good intentions and were trying to be encouraging with the above, but I don't think that the degree of disability felt is something we're capable of judging, that's very subjective, and up to herci to decide for herself. So to say that people strive with "greater disabilities" is a tad presumptuous. Hopefully she will get to the point where she doesn't feel her life is wasted, though. :)

My own life is wasted, if only I can prevent it to happen to others...

herci, I know you're having a tough time right now, but don't think your life is wasted, there are many beautiful things you can enjoy, also there is always hope, hope in a cure or in a remission in your illness. Please don't let these negative thoughts get you.

I know you probably had good intentions and were trying to be encouraging with the above, but I don't think that the degree of disability felt is something we're capable of judging, that's very subjective, and up to herci to decide for herself. So to say that people strive with "greater disabilities" is a tad presumptuous. Hopefully she will get to the point where she doesn't feel her life is wasted, though. :)
You're right I didn't mean to deminish her suffering in anyway. My apologies.

Your life isn't wasted. People live and strive under much greater disabilities or painful hindrances everyday.

It's maybe hard to understand, but if I could cure in exchange for a leg a kidney or an arm, I'd do it right away. Getting up in the morning is hard, flushing a toilet is painful, taking a shower is hard, I don't dry my hair with a hairdryer because the sound is too loud-if I try it for let's say one minute my tinnitus goes ballistic,hoovering is horrible, doing the dishes scares the sh%t out of me- I have to stand 6 meters away from my mum when she does them, throwing glass bottles in a container is frigging horrible for me, hitting a fork on a plate makes my ear flutter, hearing someone's voice in the morning hurts: it feels like someone is banging your head with a stick.
Driving a car is hard, afterwards I hear the highway in my head. Flying is impossible. I haven't been on holiday since 5 years. Cars, trucks, motorbikes, ambulances it all makes too much noise for me.
At work, when I sit with 8 people in a room and they talk there's a war in my head. And when it's relatively silent I hear one sound in my left ear. (a static radio sound) and four sounds in my right ear (a tuuuuuuuut, a ringing bell, static radio and a sound like someone is hoovering a carpet in a cellar)

I celebrated new years eve with 5 much older and very quiet people, that evening was hell for me. It felt like the whole evening someone was scratching on a blackboard with his fingernails. Just the voices. Now imagine if you walk outside, street, city, shops...everywhere there are sounds I can't tolerate anymore. I'm not allowed to use earplugs as you would get used to them, and after a while you can stand even less. Even when I do sports it gets a lot worse for an hour or two. To nearly every social activity I have to say no. I can't sleep. I even need to drink every night to be able to fall asleep. (and I'm taking sleeping pills, but they don't work anymore)

Just an idea. It's bothering me 24/7. Either it's the T or the H.
I know there are always things that are worse. They did research on H patients and they gave a 5.3/10 for overall happiness in their lives. Normal people give an 7.8/10. 50% of them gets depressed, 50% of them HAS to stop working. 80% is constantly tired. 50% has sleeping problems, 70% of them are moderately to very lonely due to the loss of social contact.
Compared to normal people, a much higher percentage commits suicide.
Most of them think of suicide.
I admit, I nearly think of it every week.
So I don't think that's very normal. I won't do it.
But if it get's worse (which it already did in those 3 years)..I don't know what I'll do.
It's not the tinnitus only..If I only had that it would be better. I could do more things. Normal everyday things. But with the hyperacusis, it's like living in a prison.

herci, I know you're having a tough time right now, but don't think your life is wasted, there are many beautiful things you can enjoy, also there is always hope, hope in a cure or in a remission in your illness. Please don't let these negative thoughts get you.

Thanks for your kind words.:hug:
I'm trying to find things to enjoy but it's really hard. Unfortunately if I'm realistic there won't be a cure in my life.
I know what kind of research they are doing, I've done some expensive and horrible frankenstein tests, nothing worked. It's a very complicated problem. Doctors hardly know anything about it. I think they might have to look into stemm cell technology but these things take decades.

I am hopeful in a way that with some friends I've made along the past few months with the same problems we will be able to make it safer for everyone.
If I can reach that goal in my life, that will make me happy.
As long I can go to work, I'm okay. That keeps me going too. But holidays are very hard.

BUMP, if I may :shifty:

Hey folks, I need a favour.

Someone is Belgium is starting a decibel petition. The organiser will give it to the government. We want more laws that protect us againt hearing damage. (hearing loss, tinnitus, hyperacusis).

The website is also in English, it only takes a while to sign.
I would be very happy if you could help this guy out. He's got the same problem as I do, just from one concert.

So if you want to sign, go here:
NO to high decibels!
Just fill in your name and email (will not be spammed) and the security code and you're done.

Thanks in advance
greetings and a happy NY
Michèle

Yeah you're right. (I had edited my post) But I hadn't ever thought about it being measurable by those methods. I don't know why.

From the little I know, I'd guess that they probably can tell by using one of those methods (eeg or imaging) to look at the auditory nerve, or the auditory center of the brain - they'd know its usual state in various noise conditions (silence, moderate noise, loud noise). If that nerve or area of the brain were active in a state of silence, that, and the degree of stimulation/activity it's showing, would probably indicate tinnitus and the severity of it.

I don't know if that's exactly how it works, but from what I've learned about sensory nerves, that's my best guess. :) Maybe herci would know better?

From the little I know, I'd guess that they probably can tell by using one of those methods (eeg or imaging) to look at the auditory nerve, or the auditory center of the brain - they'd know its usual state in various noise conditions (silence, moderate noise, loud noise). If that nerve were active in a state of silence, that, and the degree of stimulation it's showing, would probably indicate tinnitus and the severity of it.

I don't know if that's exactly how it works, but from what I've learned about sensory nerves, that's my best guess. :) Maybe herci would know better?

That sounds like a pretty good explanation and I'm sure you're spot on. I hadn't thought about it much before. Reading that I just had this bizarre image of rats with little headphones on giving the doctors thumbs up or down during hearing tests. :rolleyes:

That sounds like a pretty good explanation and I'm sure you're spot on. I hadn't thought about it much before. Reading that I just had this bizarre image of rats with little headphones on giving the doctors thumbs up or down during hearing tests. :rolleyes:
:lol: i was imagining them pressing yes/no buttons, so you're not alone!

From the little I know, I'd guess that they probably can tell by using one of those methods (eeg or imaging) to look at the auditory nerve, or the auditory center of the brain - they'd know its usual state in various noise conditions (silence, moderate noise, loud noise). If that nerve or area of the brain were active in a state of silence, that, and the degree of stimulation/activity it's showing, would probably indicate tinnitus and the severity of it.

I'm not sure how they did it, but there is a test for human beings to know wether there is hearing damage or not.
Everybodu has inner and outer haircells in the ear.
They put some kind of weird earplugs in your ears that make different kinda sounds of different frequencies. The sounds sort of is bounced back by the working hair cells. Damaged ones don't give any reaction to the sound as they are 'dead'. So the machine can measure how many % of your (outer I think) haircells are damaged by exposure to noise on different frequencies.

Mine are damaged on almost all frequencies, hence the ringing or tinnitus.

So it's really a test where you DON'T have to respond to what you hear. You have to keep quiet and just sit there untill it's done.

Maybe they did it like that?

I think they will be testing in Belgium, I read something about it yesterdag, because it's it more difficult to get the right documents and permission to start tests in the US than in Europe. But I hear thousands have registered to be tested with this. They are being flooded by requests. People are so desperate they would do anything. Let's hope it works. Though I'm very critical, they are trying so many things without enough succes.

I've been tested with electrical power on my forehead. 2 sponges soaked in water then on my forehead for 15 minutes. It al went black, it flashed I got very dizzy and my head was extremely red from the burning electricity. Frankenstein stuff...Had 3 of those horrible things, with no result. Some of this works on maybe 5% of the sufferers. All very expensive and experimental. Nearly had my teeth knocked out to with a magnet on my jaw that made my jaw open and close 2 times a seconds. Was an uncontrollable reflex. Couldn't eat for 3 days without horrible pain.

Mwaaaah... I stil feel like a rat...they're trying everything without telling the real thruth.

BTW, wednesday they have announced there will be a new law before summer on decibels on festivals, concerts, clubs ...
They will use the Swiss model that has been used succesfully for 12 years.
Limits of 90, 95 and 100 decibels. So 3 cats. Organisers can choose, but the more loud, the more they have to protect the audience, by handing out free plugs, posters with warnings and decibelmeters on the festival ground so the audience can see how loud it is. And they will control it and give out severe fines if not followed.

Finally but 3 years too late for me. But I'm happy for the healthy ones and hope I will be an "exstinct race" in a couple of years.
Though many people seem to respond negatively to this...but they don't know as much as I do. You know: the louder, the more fun people. :doh:
And things like, some artists will refuse to play, they are playing at Montreux Jazz fest, so why wouldn't they here.... :D

So that's some good news.

herci, I know about the possible law pending, but remember, we still have no government and it may still take some time (who counts in months these days eh??)

I heard Herman Schueremans on stubru yesterday and he did not agree to halve the allowed 103 db (which all our festivalorganisers agreed to last year) to 100 db.
He said that would not be enough to enjoy the music at a festival.
We have a great reputation as a festival organising country and he is afraid that with such a law, organisers in nearby countries might advice bands not to play here and play in their country instead.
The Netherlands have a 107 db limit.
If you want to hear the clip here is al link: Herman Schueremans: "Klaarkomen mag niet meer" | Studio Brussel

I myself also have a ringing in my ear, since a U2 concert here in Belgium, not last year but in 2005.
I didn't notice anything at the time of the gig, and the ringing seemed normal the first night, but not so normal after 2 days and it was still there :sad:
Now I'm used to it and it's not that irritating, just when it's quiet (esp.going to sleep)

But it made me be more aware and now I use earplugs, although I don't like it all that much and my ears hurt from those foam plugs after a certain time.
I tried to take them out at the Brussels gigs (last Sept), but imediately put them back because I felt the sound was too loud to do any good..

As for the original question, I don't recall Bono saying anything about his tinnitus..

But I do remember an interview (of course I don't know the sourse by heart) where he did mention have his ears tested. and he came out OK.

I'm sure other members here will definitly remember this as well. I even think he said all the band members had their ears tested (after all those years, they wanted to know the 'damage', was somewhat how he phrased it..) and I don't recall him saying any of them had much hearing loss (he himself has some but negligable) and I certainly don't recall any mention about him having tinnitus.

(I think this interview may have been early 2000, Elevation period..)

it seems a lot of Europeans are having problems after seeing U2... could the crowds be a factor? the concerts that i saw, the cheering can be pretty loud, but i've heard in Europe you take it to another level with your enthusiasm.

it seems a lot of Europeans are having problems after seeing U2... could the crowds be a factor? the concerts that i saw, the cheering can be pretty loud, but i've heard in Europe you take it to another level with your enthusiasm.

I remember going to U2 vertigo tour and the crowd was normal.
I've been to many concerts before I got this and usually crowds are quite stiff.
Not overenthusiastic. I even sometimes thought, oh boy these artists must think we are a boring audience.

In the last month I have read an extreme big amount (like at least 10) of reactions of people who got tinnitus (and hyperacusis) at the U2 gigs in Belgium this tour.... So something must have been wrong over there.
Then I also read of many people who had plugs, took them out, scared the sh*t out of them of the loudness and put them back in.

All this in reactions on a newssite about the new possible law...
:huh:

I'm quite surprised to hear so much about it. So you see, if nobody mentions it, you don't think it happenend. But now there is a huge discussion and people are coming out with: Look what I got at U2....

I think crowds in Spain and Italy make a lot of noise though...Just as in south america. Look at concerts in Rio. These are crazy crowds.

I think crowds in Spain and Italy make a lot of noise though...Just as in south america. Look at concerts in Rio. These are crazy crowds.

yes, that is true, but we have to admit, the crowd on the first Belgian 360 show was very loud. I think Bono even mentioned it himself.

We all screamed our longs out just to show the band it was a mistake to skip Belgium on their first lap of the continent. :tongue:

yes, that is true, but we have to admit, the crowd on the first Belgian 360 show was very loud. I think Bono even mentioned it himself.

We all screamed our longs out just to show the band it was a mistake to skip Belgium on their first lap of the continent. :tongue:

Very true. Crowd was so loud Bono couldn't do his speech before MOS. He tried but gave up in the end. FINALLY we got him to shut up for a change, the band must've loved that. :lol:

Lars Ulrich and James Hetfield were partially deaf, not just tinnitus cases ?

That could explain why they didn't realize Death Magnetic sounded like shit!!!! But really, this guys play 150 gigs a year with full amplification coming over huge speaker racks! I went to a Metallica show in 2009, and while the sound was really awesome, probably one of the best I've heard, I had my ears ringing for a week after it!

Before the Metallica show, I attended a Vertigo Tour show at Oakland Arena. The sound was amazing also........but I also had my ears ringing for 3 days after the show. From now on, I learned my lesson.

I saw Metallica again in 2010, this time, I wore ear plugs. Didn't get any ringing ears this time, but still was able to enjoy the show and the sound. I highly recommend using earplugs. My father has been suffering with tinnitus for the last 15 yeas (he is sixty) and it does not seem fun at all.

I'm totally ruining my ears with music and concerts, couldn't really think of a better way:happy:

At the Nashville show I was right behind one of the arms of the "Claw," and the sound was so loud it was physically painful. I was SO glad I remembered to bring the earplugs! I could still hear fine with them in, except maybe the high notes of Edge's guitar were dimmed just a little bit. It was worth it to preserve my hearing.

Usually after a concert, I have temporary hearing loss and ringing in the ears for at least several hours. But this time, my hearing was perfectly normal afterward. I am never going without earplugs again.

I was concerned about the band, but it did seem to me that all of them were wearing some type of hearing protection. Why wouldn't they? It's just common sense. Here in the U.S., occupational health regulations require people to wear ear protection if they're working in a high-decibel environment.

Back
Top Bottom