Courtney Love worked on October?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cranberry

Babyface
I just read an impromptu interview with Courtney Love from NY Mag blogger Mike Vilensky that was done at the premiere of It Might Get Loud. She claims she worked on U2's October album.

Forgive me if I have the wrong forum or if this has been addressed elsewhere. I've been a U2 fan since 1983 and I don't ever remember hearing that Courtney Love worked on October. Is there any info on this or is this just Courtney being Courtney?

Excerpt:

Mike: Okay, well, sorry to make you break that rule. So, are you enjoying the film?
Courtney: Oh, God, yeah. It's fucking great. It's just insanely intimidating. The five days I worked on October [the U2 album] were the days that Edge was doing his guitar sounds. And then I got fired.

Mike: For what?
Courtney: Girl stuff! Steve Lillywhite's wife — may she rest in peace — she didn't want me there. Well, anyway, I saw Echo & the Bunnymen last night and that riff, that riff for "I Will Follow" and then the riff for "Rescue," which [E&tB guitarist] Will Sergeant taught me. So I saw that yesterday. I went to hear "I Will Follow," which I wasn't sat down and taught at that time in 1982 or '83, 'cause I was 14. It's like, fucking, this whole other side of rock or something. And that, and Page, and David [Edge], and White were so, so insane."

nymag.com in the vulture section

I was a Courtney fan for a while (have sense learned better, I was 13, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it), I never ever heard of her working on that album. I'm going to guess she's just talking crazy, like normal.

If by "worked on" she means this one time she met Bono at a club in Ireland and loud-mouthed at him and said something like "That's a stupid fucking name, BONO. Why do they call you BONO? You should totally let me fucking sing in your fucking band, BONO"

... then sure, I buy it. :up:

If Love was born in '64, she would turn 17 in '81. Now, most of us are in high school at 16 or 17 years of age, but if the current version of Love was similar back then, I'm sure she left school as soon as she could. :lol:

So if she was living on a trust fund, and wound up in Ireland, it is entirely possible she was checking out local bands. Given that U2 were fairly unknown back then, it is further possible she was around U2 for a few days while they worked on "October". Now, I'm not sure she was "hired" for anything (backing vocals? I doubt it - most likely just doing odd jobs), but she may have been hanging around them.

But I do agree with Coolian2 in that if Love were to make up something, she probably would have said UF or JT, not "October".

Still, that interview is a bit incoherent. For example, by 1983, Love would be 19, not 14 as she claims. And, as we all know, "I Will Follow" was on "Boy". So her rambling about songs, artists, albums, ages, etc., is very confusing. Of course, that's to be expected from her.

If by "worked on" she means this one time she met Bono at a club in Ireland and loud-mouthed at him and said something like "That's a stupid fucking name, BONO. Why do they call you BONO? You should totally let me fucking sing in your fucking band, BONO"

... then sure, I buy it. :up:

...heyyyy are you COURTNEY LOVE???????????????

I always thought October was recorded in a closed off christian commune, and only Adam actually had access to the outside world. He'd fetch them milk and such :shifty:

side note...
is David ok?

This story is quite plausible. Well no not the actual working thing, but Courtney Love was living in Liverpool in the very early 80s and was hanging around Teardrop Explodes and the Liverpool music scene (corroborated by Julian Cope and Dave Balfe). In some Hot Press interview I've got from way back when, it mentions Bono talking to Mac from Echo (or was it Pete Wylie) and trying to intervene in the Crucial 3 feud, of which Julian Cope was the other third. So as the Mythbusters say, plausible.

God I'm a nerd.....

(I'm off to a quiz night tonight, if we don't win a prize I'll be mightily pissed off....)

Back
Top Bottom