Bono collaboration with Angelique Kidjo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phommel

Refugee
Did anyone already hear the collaboration of Bono with Angelique Kidjo?

See: Ang?lique Kidjo Headlines | Ang?lique Kidjo

And what are the opinions about it? I think it's great. I like the Mayfield cover. I have to admit that until recently I never heard about Kidjo, but also the rest of this new cover album of Kidjo sounds amazing! Curious about the rest of her repertoire.

Don't know about this one. Those opening lyrics from Bono are ridiculous, and hearing him yelp "Africa!" over and over kind of leaves me cold. I'm kind of Bonafrica'd out. He's doing very good, important work, but maybe we can keep it out of the lyrics from here on out?

I'm sorry, I laughed when he screamed Africa. I laughed hard. We've joked about it so much, that seeing the parody become reality kind of just blew my mind.

Yes we made a lots of jokes about Bono and Africa. And I really hope he doesn't ever bring back the African flag thing during Streets...

But exactly in this collaboration I do think it really fits. It's not Bono-style this and far from what he is doing with U2. and he should never do these kind of things during U2 performances, but in this song it fits imo. Besides, it's especially this Kidjo who I think is amazing. I am listening to other songs of her now.. I am not aware she covered Mysterious ways? have to find it.

Hey Bonocomet, there are a few good covers on this compilation..I like tribute albums because I enjoy listening to the same song in totally different ways, if you get what I mean..I'd say LIB is another great cover you can find on this..I don't know, but if you listen to a sample track from each song online, maybe you'll find it interesting at least. :)

Hey Bonocomet, there are a few good covers on this compilation..I like tribute albums because I enjoy listening to the same song in totally different ways, if you get what I mean..I'd say LIB is another great cover you can find on this..I don't know, but if you listen to a sample track from each song online, maybe you'll find it interesting at least. :)

Oh good idea, I think I'll give the sample tracks a listen. Thanks a lot alanah :)

Oh good idea, I think I'll give the sample tracks a listen. Thanks a lot alanah :)

After listening to those samples, I'm struck by the brilliance of U2 even more. Their songs can't really be rearranged without being fundamentally diminished, which speaks to the strengths of U2 not just as songwriters but arrangers. The only successful reinterpretations (in my opinion) are Pillar's "Sunday Bloody Sunday" and Jars' "All I Want is You." Most of the others just come off as weak karaoke. The "LIB" cover by Sixpence doesn't really work either, in my opinion (they might have done a better job with "Heartland").

The "LIB" cover by Sixpence doesn't really work either, in my opinion (they might have done a better job with "Heartland").
Hmm..I think you've listened to songs from a different album called "In the Name of Love: Artists United for Africa".. I was referring to LIB by Waldemar Bastos that's not on this compilation.

Hmm..I think you've listened to songs from a different album called "In the Name of Love: Artists United for Africa".. I was referring to LIB by Waldemar Bastos that's not on this compilation.

Yep. Here's the one you were referring to:

Amazon.com: In the Name of Love: Africa Celebrates U2: Various Artists: Music

And here's the one nathan1977 was referring to:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/in-name-love-artists-united/id6036459

Understandable, really. The titles aren't terribly creative, but better than Africa Can't Live With Or Without U2 or something like that.

Anyone has this Bono colaboraion? It'd ridiculous but on European versions of OYO album - there is NO BONO! only John Legend, and of course You cannot buy in US stores using EU credit card...

I'd just love to spend the amazing 1$ to have a go, but CAN'T!
anyone can help?!

Back
Top Bottom