Are U2 a "white man's" band?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It was that thread yes. As I was looking through the pictures after [Mark] pointed himself out, it struck me I didn't notice any other black faces, which reminded me of my previous thoughts on the topic.

Are we now at a stage where we are all homogeneous? I really don't see how my original post could be construed as being racist in anyway. Is my initial observation incorrect? Several people have mentioned U2 concerts are a very "white" environment.

Just because seeing a black guy prompted my thought doesn't mean I was incredulous at the thought of a black/asian/whatever dude being at a U2 show - just whether rock bands, and in particular U2, do not appeal to non-Caucasians.

It is people like you, gvox, that cause problems because of your absurd over-reaction. Maybe you should just have a discussion without bandying around unfounded assertions about me.

EDIT: I find your response particularly ironic given your signature.

I understand what you are trying to do here, and personally dont think it has any racist undertones to it. I too am happy to see something other than song survivor threads in this forum. I have been hanging out in tour central recently as a result. Thanks for making an interesting thread here!

I have noticed, like the rest of us, mostly white people at U2 shows, but like others have said, they have a following all over the world. Some of the most enthusiastic crowds are in Latin America, as U2 3D proves. Personally, I struck up conversations with a group of Asian people on the Vertigo tour, and my brother sat in front of a super fan since Boy who grew up in Beijing and now owns a tech company outside Boston. In Somerville a few weeks back, I was near a young black man down at stage right, and outside with all of the people waiting to see U2 come in, there were plenty of black people gathered. It was not just curiousity either, a few of them had posters or copies of War or NLOTH for them to sign. YouTube the inagural concert, you can see plenty of black people in the crowd who are into U2's part of the show!

Yes, most are white at the shows, but most are White in America, most are white in the world of rock, most are white at NBA basketball games. There could be other demographic factors at work here is what I am getting at.

The people who said they have a greater % of non white fans than Metallica or other rock acts have a more than valid point.

Does U2's kind of music and rock in general appeal more to whites? These days, probably and that is why you see that reflected in the fan base. However, remember how rock started in the 1950s- alot of soul/gospel influence, people like Little Richard, etc. The Supremes, later Tina Turner I have always considered to be part of the world of rock.

I feel that, as solacevip said, many minorities can relate to U2 as they know what it is like to live amidst violence, poverty and the loss of family members early in life. I would imagine many African Americans also respect how U2 has tied the troubles in their own country into the civil rights movement in America and have looked to Dr King and Nelson Mandela as role models. U2 taking an active interest in their struggles, as well as their exploration of American culture- old R&B, Gospel, soul, Bono speaking of black churches and Still Havent found, etc- has I am sure resonated with many black people.

U2 is committed to what they do, always try and get better no matter how famous they are, never take anything for granted, and always take the time to appreciate their fans. They never forget where they came from, and they use their fame to work with others to make the world a better place. This is done through more than just screaming on stage like Rage Against the Machine, it is done through bringing people together and working with all involved to bring about better opportunities. These are the kind of qualities that will win you respect the world over, regardless of race, creed, national origin, etc. What pisses me off the most is people who dont like U2 saying "o, people just love them no matter what, they could sing happy birthday and everyone would buy the album, etc" is they completely neglect how U2 has EARNED and CONTINUE to earn the respect of the world.

Not bumping the thread, I've been away all wknd

Great post U2387 :up:

I bet it would be a pretty close tie worldwide in terms of racial makeup. We just think we rule the world here in America. We really don't lol.

Not bumping the thread, I've been away all wknd

Great post U2387 :up:

I bet it would be a pretty close tie worldwide in terms of racial makeup. We just think we rule the world here in America. We really don't lol.

Thank you!

I would say that U2 have a more diverse ethnic fanbase than most rock bands, I know lots of Indian descent who love U2 for example.

Whenever I am watching tour DVDs or looking at pictures I always notice the huge majority of fans are white - anyone else noticed this?

I realise this is in the European and US DVDs/bootlegs, and won't apply elsewhere necessarily.

Is this due to the style of music, U2 themselves - or is it common to many bands?

Kind of anachronistic, don't you think?

Jimi Hendrix's crowds were largely white, but who gives a shit?

Whenever I am watching tour DVDs or looking at pictures I always notice the huge majority of fans are white - anyone else noticed this?

I realise this is in the European and US DVDs/bootlegs, and won't apply elsewhere necessarily.

Is this due to the style of music, U2 themselves - or is it common to many bands?

Have you been to a stadium in Brazil? Mexico? Santiago, Chile? Not so "white". How about Japan? Not so white.

U2 are a rock band... Rock has a predominantly white demographic following. It would be nice, and a compliment, to see more blacks grooving to u2.

It's no easy feat for white musicians to attract the black crowd. But it would nice to see this trend change.. After all, the hip hop scene captured the white market. This of course was merely strategical marketing, but the ends don't need to validate the means.

I'm going to try to take this thread in a different direction.

I think U2 has a primarily white fanbase, but I wouldn't call them a "white man's band." I live in Baltimore, and at least in this city, U2 gets respect from the black community. That doesn't mean that the black community necessarily LISTENS to U2, but it means that U2 is viewed by all races as generally good music and a legendary rock band. It's like me and Bob Marley: I'm not black and I don't listen to much reggae. But I have respect for him as one of the best artists of the rock n' roll era.

Compare that with someone like Dave Matthews Band. Now THERE'S a white man's band. Just flat and plain and pure vanilla through and through!

I agree. I dont think thelaj meant any disrespect with the thread and I dont think there is anything wrong with the question, per se. However if it doesnt stay nice, it will have to be closed.

It's true though, if you look into a U2 crowd the majority of people are usually white. But that doesnt mean they dont have fans of other race, just take interference for example. We have members and fans from all over the world and of many different ethnic backgrounds. :up:

:up:

I cannot recall her name (Desiree?) but she was one of the first people to help Joel build Interference. This woman was African American and became a U2 fan because of "Angel of Harlem".

Is she still a fan? Don't know - don't even know if she's still on Interference. But she was evidence of how U2's music can cross cultures and races.

Unfortunately, rock music is often seen as "white". There have been plenty of evidence to the contrary, starting with early rock (Chubby Checker, Little Ricard, etc.) to late 60's rock (Jimi Hendrix being the most famous) to even the late 80's/early 90's (Living Colour). Despite this, the stereotype is white kids tend to like rock, black kids tend to like rap. But I think there are tons of exceptions to this. "Pride" has remained so popular for so long not just because it's a great song, but because of its message and its main focus. :yes:

Given that people around the world are more and more intertwined, and racism and sexism - especially in Western countries - is becoming less and less (it still exists, but clearly decreasing) - my hope is that more bands like U2 can exist that can capture the imaginations of anyone, regardless of race, gender, wealth or geography.

Hey

I'd like to add my two cents, if I may. I'm black and I listen to U2, Bruce Springsteen, Def Leppard, Led Zeppelin, Phil Collins, and others. I like music that isn't driven by mayhem and violence. I think it is a personal preference for music that someone has. And, the mindset. If you only want to listen to rap music, then that means you like the chaos and drama, and that's the same for some heavy metal music as well. Alice in Chains is another favorite. Again, I grew up listening to "genre's" of music, not specifically a preference. I had older siblings who listened to various music. I am so glad I did not grow up in the 90's and 2000's. From the sounds of music today, it is too much sex-driven, violence ridden nonsense. There is my two cents. I hope I did not go on too much. Peace! :wave:

I'm going to try to take this thread in a different direction.

I think U2 has a primarily white fanbase, but I wouldn't call them a "white man's band." I live in Baltimore, and at least in this city, U2 gets respect from the black community. That doesn't mean that the black community necessarily LISTENS to U2, but it means that U2 is viewed by all races as generally good music and a legendary rock band. It's like me and Bob Marley: I'm not black and I don't listen to much reggae. But I have respect for him as one of the best artists of the rock n' roll era.

Compare that with someone like Dave Matthews Band. Now THERE'S a white man's band. Just flat and plain and pure vanilla through and through!

I'm actually really intrigued by this post, not because I disagree with it in principle, I agree with what you're trying to say...however...if we take ourselves out of "America" for a sec...

...U2 has a primarily white fan base...worldwide? Hmm. Arguable.

...who predominantly make up Bob Marley's fan base, worldwide? Again, arguably not who you might think..

...Dave Matthews band...I could be wrong...but aren't his bandmates black? Or is that just a picture I saw? I know maybe one or two of their songs..

In the end though, what you're saying is bang on: good music is just good music and it doesn't matter who's making it or what they look like and people of all races recognize this. :up:

Not to big up myself, but I've got a thread that lists a fair number of Asian pop and rock artists who have cited U2 as an influence http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f221/asian-pop-rock-and-connections-to-u2-209687.html. They're hardly just "a white man's band!" :)

I could be wrong, but U2 is surprisingly well known in Asia for a band that has only toured in one Asian country (Japan.)

On a side note: Muse, Jason Mraz and even Bob Dylan have all played concerts in Seoul, Korea, so why can't U2 join that list?

Last edited by a moderator:
Why is it a train wreck? Its an interesting/brave point to raise. When I took my Dad to see them in 2009 in Sheffield he asked afterwards whether I noticed it was a predominantly white audience and that their music maybe didn't cross the racial spectrum as widely as they might hope. I did have to point out to him that it was Sheffield though!

Because so what? I know the op had no racist intentions but if they've got a predominantly white audience so be it. Doesn't seem like an interesting topic to talk about.

Because so what? I know the op had no racist intentions but if they've got a predominantly white audience so be it. Doesn't seem like an interesting topic to talk about.

Yeah but the point of the thread was - why have they got a predominantly white audience, how come the music doesn't cross the race barrier more effectively? Even though U2 promote themselves as a 'universal' band, how come that perhaps isn't borne out in their audience?

Its touchy ground (even though it really shouldn't be) but I guess its just something different than people going on about how the band should play Acrobat.

U2 promote a univeral message of tolerance and peace, but I think they've always known they don't necessarily have universal appeal. Is that to do with their music, their image or just because their brand of rock music predominantly has a white (middle-class) audience? I think the latter.

Yeah but the point of the thread was - why have they got a predominantly white audience, how come the music doesn't cross the race barrier more effectively? Even though U2 promote themselves as a 'universal' band, how come that perhaps isn't borne out in their audience?

Its touchy ground (even though it really shouldn't be) but I guess its just something different than people going on about how the band should play Acrobat.

U2 promote a univeral message of tolerance and peace, but I think they've always known they don't necessarily have universal appeal. Is that to do with their music, their image or just because their brand of rock music predominantly has a white (middle-class) audience? I think the latter.

i didn't go through all the pages.....

i do think the question can be asked in a genuine way....
I'm white but am pretty attuned to racism issues.
SO with what I did read on pg 1 & 2...

Well as far as the South America part of the tour you have the whole color spectrum of Latino's.
Mexicans can be pure Native Americans or Native Americans with Spanish descent.

In parts of Easten SA in particular there were African-American slaves who escaped or African-American free people who also got mixed into the populations over time.

I have African American & Caribbean friends, and one Latina friend who like some of their music....

When the did they ABOY NYC vid they started in Harlem across 125 st they were a bunch of black & latino people there who recognized them were excited to see them there.

So while it's as lemonfly has said no as universal appeal as they might want their are probably more than a few.

He hasn't made a decision about that yet, but when he does they'll be a big narcissistic ESPN special about it. He'll be taking his talents to the 360 tour-he's bigger than even the claw.

Meh, shitting on this thread's premise is childish and the equivalent of putting one's fingers in one's ears and failing to acknowledge there are uncomfortable, grey areas in life that aren't always fun to talk about. And I've shit on a buncha threads in my day, I tellya, so I am one to judge.

Back
Top Bottom