Almost Finished with U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's fine to be 'finished with U2' on a musical level. And the arguments are compelling on that level.

But I see a lot of folk moaning lately about their liberal stances. Fuck knows where they've been the last 40 years then.... but just don't go down the Trump fanatic Matt McGee of Atu2 fame.

Prior to closing, I read somewhere that Atu2 banned a forum member for calling out somebody who called homosexuals 'an abomination'. Not the bigot, but the guy who called them out.

Seriously, if U2's fan base is lessened by bigot enablers like McGee and co jumping off the bandwagon, then the band might have a future. In that sense, I'll be pleased to see people who are 'finished' with the band.

Last edited:
i dunno. i haven't checked in on them in almost a year - but they're living rent free in OUR heads, or something, so probably.

i suppose if i shared my masturbatory fantasies about my underage cousin on a U2 message board while also sharing a handy Racism Chart, i'd want something else in my head too.

(i've done none of these things ... i'm not Ricky Martin)

i suppose if i shared my masturbatory fantasies about my underage cousin on a U2 message board while also sharing a handy Racism Chart, i'd want something else in my head too.

(i've done none of these things ... i'm not Ricky Martin)

Wait… what? I think I might have missed that first time round

the psychos, racists, and fascists of FYM were banned a long time ago. some of them have congregated at another "U2 forum" that really is just a cover for a far right echo chamber at this point.

of course, since they were all banned from here, that means this forum is an ultra-left stalinist echo chamber, obviously.

Last edited:
But I see a lot of folk moaning lately about their liberal stances. Fuck knows where they've been the last 40 years then...

My problem deals with their NEOliberal stances and greed is good mentality which is something they did not seem to evoke in the 80s and possibly 90s. Hobnobbing with billionaires, failing to call out those in power for military aggression and instead performing FOR them, etc. If any sort of political caricature exists of U2 fans, it’s the liberal yuppie and I’ve dealt with some of the most annoying fans ever at their shows (granted, I live in the Bay Area). But I’ve been to hundreds of other shows around here and never quite encountered the smug, elitist liberal that I do at U2 gigs. No offense to those who don’t fit that profile, many on this forum and in this thread DO.

I respectfully watch shows without talking or filming during any of the acts, including openers and I’m affable and make a lot of friends who I then go to more shows with and hang out with. So yeah, I’d say I’m fun and neoliberals and/or yuppies suck shit.

At U2 shows I’ve witnessed line Nazis, people calling each other not true fans, people shoving into lower seat rows where they don’t have seats then smugly complaining about other fans doing a Bono encouraged crowd singalong, people pushing ahead into the crowd at Joshua Tree after others had been there for hours, “professional”-type women complaining how people next to them smell, etc. An unending list of weirdly unique behavior happening at just their shows.

Looks like someone was bored last night

I’m just giving some of my honest experiences. It’s a fanbase with millions and there are a lot of bad apples, particularly among the hardcore lot.

I’ve seen arena shows with similar contemporaries and never really experienced this sort of thing. Pearl Jam fans are pretty chill even if they’re stumbling out of their seats every fifth song to go take a leak and get another beer. Smashing Pumpkins fans sat through the three hour reunion tour without needing to move a muscle except for a planned Iha bathroom break near the middle.

My partner’s gone to hundreds of shows with me. She also thinks the U2 fans have been the most irritating to deal with. That’s our experience.

I respectfully watch shows without talking or filming during any of the acts, including openers and I’m affable and make a lot of friends who I then go to more shows with and hang out with. So yeah, I’d say I’m fun and neoliberals and/or yuppies suck shit.

At U2 shows I’ve witnessed line Nazis, people calling each other not true fans, people shoving into lower seat rows where they don’t have seats then smugly complaining about other fans doing a Bono encouraged crowd singalong, people pushing ahead into the crowd at Joshua Tree after others had been there for hours, “professional”-type women complaining how people next to them smell, etc. An unending list of weirdly unique behavior happening at just their shows.

You’re making comments about gatekeepers and sycophants, and equating them with political stances. That’s insane.

Also, you are about half a step removed from “get off my lawn”.

Your comments and behavioural expectations to follow your preferences are just a nuanced manifestation of the gate keeping you are raging against.

You are not the forum or live show decorum police.

You’re making comments about gatekeepers and sycophants, and equating them with political stances. That’s insane.

Also, you are about half a step removed from “get off my lawn”.

Your comments and behavioural expectations to follow your preferences are just a nuanced manifestation of the gate keeping you are raging against.

Good lord…anyway, I’m about as easy going as it gets when it comes to live shows. As long as people aren’t talking through the music next to me or singing loudly in my ear at a quieter, folky show - I’m all good. Yet U2’s fanbase has somehow annoyed me so darn much! That says a lot!

It's all gonna be alright man :hi5:

I've always had great experiences at all the U2 shows I've been to. Granted I've only been to 10 but I've really enjoyed the other fans as well as the band. The only one that was a bit stressful was Tokyo in 2006. The fans were very aggressive and I had to make a conscious effort to avoid being pushed out of my spot on the rail.

For the first time since U2-concerts I was completely blown away by the Rammstein concerts this year and I wasn't even in the Firezone. I must admit I'm more excited about new Rammstein material than a Tedder produced u2 album at the moment....

For the first time since U2-concerts I was completely blown away by the Rammstein concerts this year and I wasn't even in the Firezone. I must admit I'm more excited about new Rammstein material than a Tedder produced u2 album at the moment....

:up:

Oh yeah for sure. I've seen quite a few hard rock shows in the last 2 years and I fully expect to be underwhelmed at the next U2 gig mostly because they just can't hang with younger acts anymore. All about perspective though.

Back
Top Bottom