Your one single greatest U2 live moment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A little background...my ex-husband and I had "discovered" U2 together during the UF-JT era. Sadly, we divorced shortly after that period and U2 was a bit of a painful connection. So I moved on to other music for most of the '90s.

However, with the release of ATYCLB, a good friend gave me a copy for Christmas 1990 hoping (knowing?) I would love it. Of course I did.

But I still hadn't been to a concert in person until the Vertigo tour. That same friend and I traveled to Milwaukee, where I was surprised to actually break down a bit before the show because of the "full circle" implications.

The second surprise came during the show. I had fully expected some strong reaction to "Streets" since that is my favorite song. But strangely, it was "Pride" that raised the goosebumps and caused my heart to race. At the risk of being overdramatic, I think it was that feeling of returning to the very beginning, reclaiming who I am and who I was, accompanied by that resounding chorus of "In the name of love...What more in the name of love..." that I never expected to hear live in concert.

I will never, ever forget that feeling.

i've sadly always lucked out on tickets and have never been to a U2 show =( but reading each and every one of those amazing moments seriously gave me chills down my spine (the good kind). i can imagine how it went down because i've heard mp3s, seen videos, and read other descriptions, but I know when i finally get to see them someday, i will be totally blown away and then some ;]

For me, it has to be All I Want is You > WTSHNN at Slane. :drool: Bono sounds like he's ripping his vocal cords out but it's just so powerful

mancheter june 14th 2005, sun just setting, and then the start of City of blinding lights, the screen starting for the first time in the show,

but the fact that the sun was still setting made this all the more magical for me

One date: 2005-05-26.
One song: Bad.

Unless you were lucky enough to witness One Tree Hill on 1989-12-26 (which I consider to be the defining U2 moment), you'd struggle to beat Bad as a closer. Not saying it can't be beaten, but damn, it was impressive.

RedrocksU2 said:

That was cool...I remember it vividly! :up:

However, this is my greatest moment, from the '87 Joshua Tree tour.....
u2gifstreets.gif
.....when they walked onto the stage.

:rockon:

First time I saw them live like that I new I was a gonner right then and there!:drool:

probably the whole show in Mexico City 2006-15-02... everything was magic but my favorite moment was when Edge smiled me :love:

9-13-92 Zoo TV "outside broadcast" at Camp Randall Stadium.. WHen the lights went down and President Bush's "we will, we will rock you.." came on and then segued into 'Zoo Station' and the whole Zoo TV mammoth stage came to life.. I've never heard, before or since, a more deafening roar from a crowd. To this day I prefer that opening with the Zoo TV color bars to the Sydney video.

Several times during the concert i experienced what I can only describe as complete sensory overload. Recall that this was nearly 15 years ago and no one had ever experinced anything like this before Zoo TV was dreamed up. The cranes with I think 8 brightly painted east german cars cars whirring around, the four huge video walls and dozens of smaller monitors stacked all over the stage with images and words zooming past at a rate just a little too fast for your mind to keep up with and a half-dozen extremely tall spires towering over the stage. It was simply unbelievable at the time...sttill is in some ways today.

"Bad" Live AId 1985
Watching it live and in shock that they were actually going to play such a wonderful song instead of a more typical "Pride (In The Name Of Love)" - then the actual performance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Diane L said:
When Patti Smith and U2 played "Instant Karma" at the 11/21 MSG show. I thought I was going to lose my mind with happiness.

I cried just hearing it thru the setlist party (via cellphone/internet connection). I was so moved, especially when my Interference friends called to let me listen to it live via cellphone from that point on til the end of the tour... :drool: I love that song :happy:

27 October 1989, Lovetown Adelaide, when Bono yelled "I can sing!" during the first song "Streets", after being out for a couple of weeks and cancelling their first concerts ever with laryngitis.:love:

Then he tripped and fell over. :wink:

Reggie Thee Dog said:
Being there on 4/20/01 in San Jose when they first played "Kite" and "Stay", and watching the girl dance during "Mysterious Ways". Easily the best show I've ever seen...period!

:yes: I was there as well... it was truly a magical night!

My greatest U2 live moment, despite the fact I've danced with Bono (which was amazing, yet a very faint memory) would have to be the moment they took stage, April 2 2001 in Houston with Elevation; I felt like I was living a dream when I first saw U2 live and in person from the front row, it was so surreal as if they had jumped out of a television set... almost too good to be true. So my greatest moment isn't really one exact moment at all, more an overall feeling of awe and disbelief.

I guess my U2 moment is more bizarre than anything else:

I went to two Popmart gigs in 97, first in Belgium followed by Oslo Norway. I told all my mates before the Oslo gig that didn't go to Belgium that the whole Lemon thing was just out of this world, you just had to see it.
We went early to the arena and got really nice spots next to the rails at the b-stage, right infront of where I knew the Lemon would stop and then open...

So, out comes the Lemon, stops... and nothing more. It just didn't work! All we could see was four pair of feet and thats it. The Lemon was pulled back in and the band came back on stage and started playing Discotheque. I guess the vast majority of the crowd didn't realise at that point what happened, but having seen it the week before, it was such a let-down. Now though, its just hilarious!

I've never been to a concert (had tix for the March shows and still have tix for the shows in November) but for me I have a few:

1. Bad (on Rattle & Hum)
I always thought the performance of Bad was a little 'off' but it is very good. I think its just that it looks like Bono is going to die as he sings it. But what I love most is the samples of Ruby Tuesday and Sympathy for the Devil. Great.

2. Running to Stand Still (Chicago 05)
I love the long intro, Bono's guiatr but what I love most is the 'helleujah' verse at the end.

3. AIWIY-Streets segue (Slane 01)
Magical. Bono doing laps of the mosh pit, I think that segue is THE best defintion of joy you will ever see.

4. One (Slane 01)
Probably my favourite performance of any song, ever. The final verse is just terrific. I've never been in tears watching a music DVD, but I believe I was close.

At my first concert watching U2 come up from underneath the stage. Just felt incredibly blown away by the fact that I was actually seeing my favorite band live!

Sept 21,2005 concert at the end where Bono left his cowboy hat hanging on the microphone stand. The spotlight was shining on it and Larry walked over and put it on. Just remember the crowd really exploding over that. Still get chills whenever I think of it. That whole concert was just absolutely electric! :yes:

June 14th 2005, City Of Manchester Stadium,

I can't remember if it was the first or second encore but it had finally got quite dark and then i heard Clayton's famous bassline for With Or Without You making its way out of the huge amplifiers. It's my favourite U2 song and i don't think they had played it very much on the first leg of the tour so it took me totally by surprise. It was amazing. The whole crowd song the "ohhhhhhhh"'s together as one and Bono sang the Love Will Tear Us Apart snippet at the end.

Amazing. Can't wait till they tour again.

When they played Fast Cars for the very first time in Toronto, 12th of September. Bono said something along the lines of "if we fuck up, blame it on Larry." I think I was the only one in my row who knew all the lyrics. :lol:

odowdpa said:
From the spectacle that was Popmart. I'll never forget the feeling I had seeing U2 walk to the stage from the back of Giants Stadium, cameras flashing everywhere, Bono dressed up as a boxer entering the ring, acting like he was jumping rope, the thump from the bass of Pop Muzik squeezing your heart, simply incredible.

That's my favorite also but in D.C. It was my first time seeing them in person.

just reading @with or without you' written anywhere sends a shiver down my spine!

My first gig was 87 i think at the NEC in birmingham - i remember very little about it. I then saw them at the NEC again in 91 I think. Its quite a small venue so good views all round.

I dont remember much about that either!!

then saw them at Wembley a couple of times and other than bono ordering pizza's or ringing George Bush or whatever my favorite moment was the link for Satellite of Love.

I would add though that every live clip in Rattle and hum from the warehouse tin sound of desire to the bongos in still havent found to the massive stadium clips of streets, sbs etc have me hooked from start to finish. the band are genius - its all captured on film and I love it!

Last year, Chorzow/Katowice gig- new year's day with whole stadium turned white and red :drool: I don't really need to add anything more, I only wish this perfromance will be a bonus on the upcoming Milan DVD (unfortunately it's very doubtful, as the cameras were turned off...)

My second favourite moment was the opening notes of Zoo Station, zoo tv all over again! Best moment of the vertigo's setlist, ever.

If I must come up with only one I guess right now I'd have to pick Boston 5/28/06 because they played Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses! :heart:

It was my first show in 4 years and my first time EVER seeing the band up close! My tic scanned into the ellipse and we ended up second row from rail on Adam's side. We heard a rumor that Wild Horses was played in soundcheck a couple days before but we never thought they'd actually play it! It brought me to tears when I realized what they were going to play. Bono told us to forgive them if it sounded badly because they hadn't played the song live in over 10 years. :love:

My life was pretty much falling apart a year ago but being there at that show made it all better even if only for a little while.

Last edited:
Axver said:
One date: 2005-05-26.
One song: Bad.

Unless you were lucky enough to witness One Tree Hill on 1989-12-26 (which I consider to be the defining U2 moment), you'd struggle to beat Bad as a closer. Not saying it can't be beaten, but damn, it was impressive.

I was at the 5/26 show and must say that this show ranks pretty high on my list for great shows, what an encore.

9/22/87 - Joshua Tree Tour - 3rd Leg - Sullivan Stadium - Boston, MA.

As we arrived at the Stadium there was a light rain falling which added to the "feeling" that was in the crowd that evening. The last support act left the stage (I believe it was The Pogues) the rain stopped. As darkness fell over the stadium and U2 hit the stage to the sounds of Stand By Me...... the opening chords of Streets started and above the huge stage walls you can see lightning flashing in the sky. It was the most amazing thing I've ever seen in my life. My girlfriend at the time and my buddies were just awestruck at the sight. The lightning continued intermittinly right through to The Unforgettable Fire, what a spectacle...... This was the fourth U2 show that we all saw on this tour and we all were saying how bad we wanted to see them play One Tree Hill, which incredibly they opened the Encore with, Bono said after they played that song that it was one of the first times they played it in front of an audience. What a night!!!

We then saw them the very next night in a very small Arena in New Haven CT, seeing them play such an intimate show after the night's before show was great but this show didn't have the same magic as the Foxboro show.

Hearing WOWY and Who's Going To Ride Your Wild Horses live for the 1st time :up: Was in the building too when they did soundcheck for Wild Horses :hyper: Was afraid of getting caught by peeking in so I never looked but at least I heard it.

All of you have such great memories! :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom