Your one single greatest U2 live moment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZooMacPhisto800

War Child
After much thought (over 2 minutes), I'd have to say that despite the greatness of the Montreal Vertigo show (Nov. 26th), I will go with "Walk On" from Buffalllo, New York from the Elevation Tour. Seeing all the "all that you..." projected on the arena's ceiling was just awesome.

ZooMacPhisto800 reserves the right to request that moderators delete postings which include more than a single greatest moment.

From the spectacle that was Popmart. I'll never forget the feeling I had seeing U2 walk to the stage from the back of Giants Stadium, cameras flashing everywhere, Bono dressed up as a boxer entering the ring, acting like he was jumping rope, the thump from the bass of Pop Muzik squeezing your heart, simply incredible.

This is so hard, I don't think I can do it. I can narrow it down to 2, but that's the closest I can get. So as not to give heirarchy to the moments, I'll just use symbols:

# - My first U2 concert. ZOO TV Inside Broadcast at the Los Angeles Sports Arena. I didn't know the setlist and I had no idea "Streets" (my 2nd fav U2 song) was coming after the bitchin' helicopter fade-out of "Running to Stand Still" and as those helicopter sounds blended into the opening synths I just lost it, and I'm not sure I've ever recovered and I KNOW I've never jumped so high in my life, except for maybe:

& - 14 years later, Vertigo tour, Staples Center, November 2nd, GA's, about four feet away from the ellipse. "Bad" is my favorite U2 song and, again, I didn't know it was on the setlist (they hadn't played it on the 3 other Vertigo shows I saw) and as soon as I heard those opening tinkling ivory keys I just flipped out: crying, laughing, screaming, coughing and jumping like a kangaroo all at the same time, becoming crazed and shouting at the top of my lungs, "Oh my God, 'Bad'! Oh my God, U2 - 'Bad' WOOOO! 'Bad' Oh my God, 'Bad'. U2. 'Bad'. Oh my God!"

Yup, U2 live is pretty much like injecting crack straight into my blood stream. From 17 years old to 31 years old, and apparently I haven't changed a bit. (Including my ability to jump and touch the roof of sports arenas.)

Last edited:
FitzChivalry said:
This is so hard, I don't think I can do it. I can narrow it down to 2, but that's the closest I can get. So as not to give heirarchy to the moments, I'll just use symbols:

# - My first U2 concert. ZOO TV Inside Broadcast at the Los Angeles Sports Arena. I didn't know the setlist and I had no idea "Streets" (my 2nd fav U2 song) was coming after the bitchin' helicopter fade-out of "Running to Stand Still" and as those helicopter sounds blended into the opening synths I just lost it, and I'm not sure I've ever recovered and I KNOW I've never jumped so high in my life, except for maybe:

& - 14 years later, Vertigo tour, Staples Center, November 2nd, GA's, about four feet away from the ellipse. "Bad" is my favorite U2 song and, again, I didn't know it was on the setlist (they hadn't played it on the 3 other Vertigo shows I saw) and as soon as I heard those opening tinkling ivory keys I just flipped out: crying, laughing, screaming, coughing and jumping like a kangaroo all at the same time, becoming crazed and shouting at the top of my lungs, "Oh my God, 'Bad'! Oh my God, U2 - 'Bad' WOOOO! 'Bad' Oh my God, 'Bad'. U2. 'Bad'. Oh my God!"

Yup, U2 live is pretty much like injecting crack straight into my blood stream. From 17 years old to 31 years old, and apparently I haven't changed a bit. (Including my ability to jump and touch the roof of sports arenas.)

Wow. I can totally relate. RTSS -> Streets from ZooTV is just amazing... harmonica in between... long intro to Streets... amazing, but I wasn't there for ZooTV so I couldn't choose it. I used to watch that clip from a pro-shot US performance and listen to it from a Dublin performance (broadcast on radio) over and over and over and over.

"Bad" from Vertigo was amazing too... I heard it in Montreal... just incredible and they messed up the intro backing track... had to restart... love that song. Wasn't expecting it. Two more great moments.

Good job and nice work with the symbols.

great thread!

1st June 1992 NEC Birmingham. Hearing Love Is Blindness for the first time, the beautiful backdrop and Edge's amazing feedback on the outro. To be honest I was in tears.

Whenever I question my love for this band, if I go back to this moment in time I fall in love all over again.

Edge opening the Sao Paulo Concert :drool: :drool: :drool: Oh Boy 1st u2 concert ever , words cant explain

Vertigo, 26th of November in Montreal.

After Arcade Fire came on stage to WTSHNN, the crowd was in a frenzy for U2. I just about had tears in my eyes when the lights went up at the beginning of COBL.

My second u2 concert, in buffalo ny on my birthday, when (at the end of love and peace or else and beginning of sunday bloody sunday) bono had larrys drumsticks, and i thought he was going to throw them out..but he knelt down and handed me one. And everyone was grabbing for them so i just put my hand down by my side when he went to give it me. But he reached forward and put it in my palm. The best birthday present ever and during my favourite u2 song. Plus im a drummer!

Canadiens1160 said:

After Arcade Fire came on stage to WTSHNN, the crowd was in a frenzy for U2. I just about had tears in my eyes when the lights went up at the beginning of COBL.

Show was amazing... so many great moments... not sure why the "Walk On" moment beat it out, but I had to choose one.

Hope you've heard the bootleg.

Canadiens1160 said:

Just noticed that there are vids for Nov. 26th on YouTube.com... search for "U2 Montreal".

When I heard the opening chords of I Will Follow at my first U2 concert on October 8, 2005 at MSG. I was expecting Electric Co. but since I Will Follow is in my top 5, it was an amazing surprise.

My second U2 concert, at MSG (11/22) when Bono came over by me during Mysterious Ways and pulled me on stage :love: :heart:

FitzChivalry said:

I was at that 11/2/05 Staples Center show inside the ellipse in front of Adam. And so I can totally relate & share that moment with you. My friend (Amy) and I looked at each other when we heard those notes, and the guys around us and we were just like "OH MY GOD! YES!!!". :drool:

I can't pick specific moments, but that whole show was awesome for me because I've never been that close before, and we were on the rail, me my friend and my 11 year old daughter :combust:

Lila64 said:

I was at that 11/2/05 Staples Center show inside the ellipse in front of Adam. And so I can totally relate & share that moment with you. My friend (Amy) and I looked at each other when we heard those notes, and the guys around us and we were just like "OH MY GOD! YES!!!". :drool:

I can't pick specific moments, but that whole show was awesome for me because I've never been that close before, and we were on the rail, me my friend and my 11 year old daughter :combust:

who me????:wink: :hug: :wave: hiya sweetie! How are u?

Oh yeah I sure do remember that! It was so much fun spending that whole day with you and maddy! Great memories that I will always treasure cuz I made some very special friends! :heart:

And pics to prove it.. :drool:
This is Bono singing during BAD..
BonoBad11022005.jpg

And here is Adam smiling directly in front and above us (us shorties:huh: )
SmilingAdam11022005.jpg

Last edited:
for me it was either bono playing drums for love and peace or else or when they finished with vertigo at the end the " the end" thing came on the screen , was magical.

Las Vegas #2 was my 4th U2 concert. UTEOTW is my favorite song but I've never heard it live. Also this song had not been played in 5 - 6 months. So when they started this song it was an OMG moment for me. (Bad as the final encore is a close second.)

vaz02 said:
for me it was either bono playing drums for love and peace or else or when they finished with vertigo at the end the " the end" thing came on the screen , was magical.

when i saw that at cardiff it was amazing and so heart breaking at the same time after months of anticipation!

For me, it was in Miami 13th show.

I had never seen U2 before and hadn't seen anything from the Vertigo tour besides pictures, so when COBL lights intro started and when I knew the entire band would kick in I raised my hands in triumph not knowing that a big glow of light would come from the stage and the surprise of that just sent chills down my body. The most surreal ethereal moment in my life.

Being behind the stage at MSG for two show including the one with Sara and seeing the band come out before anyone else, having Bono smile at me and give me the peace sign, and then on the way out of the garden, I said something and Bono said Bye, Love and gave me the peace sign again.:drool:

Wake Up---->into Edge's slide guitar solo under the hot red spotlight---->COBL

My goodness. :| That was almost too good for words.

I think if I would have gone to Zoo TV, I might have collapsed. :|

odowdpa said:
From the spectacle that was Popmart. I'll never forget the feeling I had seeing U2 walk to the stage from the back of Giants Stadium, cameras flashing everywhere, Bono dressed up as a boxer entering the ring, acting like he was jumping rope, the thump from the bass of Pop Muzik squeezing your heart, simply incredible.

That was cool...I remember it vividly! :up:

However, this is my greatest moment, from the '87 Joshua Tree tour.....
u2gifstreets.gif
.....when they walked onto the stage.

:rockon:

new years day during on the slane dvd is my favorite moment, especially when bono sings The newspapers say, say, say it's true And we can break through, Though torn in two, we can be one, edge comes in with his backing vocals perfectly after the we can be one

Minneapolis 9/23/05. I was in the first row outside the ellipse and Bono stood right in front of me when he hit the "siiiiiiiing" note in Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own. It was amazing not just because I was just a few feet from my hero, but because it was at a moment when he was expressing something so personal. Everyone standing in that area had their arms stretched out toward him and I thought it was like we were trying to show him our love and support.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom