You Yangs, Lara, Australia Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Evening, GG2! :wave:

Ha, this ties into my last post's mini-spiel. The problem with science (and mathematics) education in high schools here right now is that it tends to emphasise pure memorisation. I never saw topping Physics, Chemistry, Biology, or Maths B as quite as significant as topping Geography. Your typical exam in the former subjects just asked you to recall some formulas. Your typical exam in Geography asked that you actually analyse information, make an original argument, and reach a conclusion sustained by evidence. I see no reason why the sciences and mathematics shouldn't be like that, and indeed Maths C did require that to an extent, but still, high school science and mathematics are mostly a poor joke and I hate to think how much going to university is like being thrown in the deep end for those students.

There is a good reason why I quit science in high school despite being #1 far and away at it. For somebody with a good memory, it was fucking BORING to just regurgitate information on demand.

Can't argue with any of that at all :up: I did Chem and Psych, and Further Maths last year, and you're right, intellect doesn't play a big role. Psych especially. In the exam, even short answer questions, you've either memorised an answer/example from the text book or you haven't. There's no extended questions to test your intellect.

Anyway time for bed for me got a massively early start tomorrow. :wave:

What did you just call me? :scratch:

A bit under the weather, besides from that I'm fine! At last the blisters in my mouth are gone! I can eat again!

And how've you been?

Can't argue with any of that at all :up: I did Chem and Psych, and Further Maths last year, and you're right, intellect doesn't play a big role. Psych especially. In the exam, even short answer questions, you've either memorised an answer/example from the text book or you haven't. There's no extended questions to test your intellect.

Chem? You fucking nerd.

*never did Sciences.*

It makes no sense either, given that higher levels are a serious intellectual exercise. But welcome to the shithouse Aussie school system, where intelligence is not a prized commodity.

G'night. :wave:

Yeah, GG2, you don't want to put up with Lame Bean's shit.

Now who's doing the next thread? Not me, since I'm doing the awesome one that will follow it on 17/12. :drool:

What incident???? :ohmy:

Hey, don't make fun of that. I'm sure his blow up doll thinks he's lovely.

Liam made a Superthread once. He took us to Condom, France, but fucked up the subject line. Then instead of editing it, he made a whole new thread. When a mod tried to merge the two threads, something went awry and all 226 posts were lost.

And ZING! :lol:

Nude is apparently in Gelderland. But yeah, maybe it's a typo of Nuden. That'd be disappointing.
Hm, lemme search for it...

Liam made a Superthread once. He took us to Condom, France, but fucked up the subject line. Instead of editing it, he made a whole new thread. When a mod tried to merge the two threads, something went awry and all 226 posts were lost.

And ZING! :lol:

:lol: fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom