Yell Sound, Shetland Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Ashley, really appreciate it. I'm feeling better now though, in a weird way it's made me more inspired than ever to achieve what I want. I guess, at its core, it's about proving people wrong and educating jerks. Another positive is that this whole ordeal has made it even more apparent just how big a problem misogyny is when it comes to gaming, so I hope it's the start of a big change.

:up:

Amazingly... the straightened hair looks pretty... fine? A little on the side of haircuts I imagine dudes from bands I wouldn't like would have, but it actually looks pretty good.

If I were to do it more permanently, I'd probably style it differently because I don't like hair on my forehead and I really don't like hair getting in my eyes. I am aiming to keep growing it longer if nothing else. I've always wanted long hair; I'm jealous of all those shoegaze and metal guys with gorgeous flowing hair (as opposed to the ones with long straggly greasy hair, of whom I'm not jealous in the slightest).

Thanks Ashley, really appreciate it. I'm feeling better now though, in a weird way it's made me more inspired than ever to achieve what I want. I guess, at its core, it's about proving people wrong and educating jerks. Another positive is that this whole ordeal has made it even more apparent just how big a problem misogyny is when it comes to gaming, so I hope it's the start of a big change. .

Hell, if I've learnt anything from a few recent comments sections on Age articles, misogyny remains far more of a problem in general than I thought it was, and there are a disturbing number of "men r teh persekutedz" guys out there. Or maybe it's all just financeguy's alters. I'd prefer to just believe it's a few random crackpots on FYM/in stupid political parties that last one election and disappear/nutters holding "Justice So-and-So is a BITCH!!!11!1" signs outside the Family Court.

Vlad has curly hair???

My world has been turned TOPSY-TURVY.

I like it when guys take the time to straighten and style their hair, it shows they like to take care of it, which is nice. Of course some people don't suit it, but I think my experiment on Ax went very well :D

You all will be happy/sad/indifferent to know that after a run and a shower, my hair is decidedly back to its curly ways.

:lol:

Nope, dark brown, curly and long. I haven't had my hair short in ages mainly because I like my hair hanging over my forehead.

Oh shit, Alison, I keep meaning to reply to your post about people calling tortoises turtles (and vice versa). FUCK I HATE THAT. And today I saw someone post a cute picture of a snow leopard and caption it "what a nice white tiger". Tigers have stripes! It's not that hard! Ugh.

tumblr_m5pbrkWQjE1r90toq.png

I was reminded the other day how great Indian Summer Sky is. It's a really awesome track that deserves more love.

Oh! Cool :up: I think hair looks great over foreheads too, no matter what Ax may think haha.

It works for some people, but it's a pain in the arse as far as I'm concerned.

Bonnie - I did mean to respond to your post before, but the swiss cheese brain struck again. That sort of thing makes me so mad that I try not to think about it, but all the best for your ambitions. The only way things will change is if awesome people like you get into those male-dominated areas and smack them all around the head.

I dunno if it's the same thing or not, but the way Julia Gillard has been treated by the media, much of the general public, and various prominent commentators makes me fucking despair. When other women are disparaging her purely because of her appearance... ARGH. I wonder what the suffragettes would say if they could see this.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - without taking anything away from women who are the first women to be/do X, true equality will be when no one thinks it noteworthy that the Prime Minister is a woman or gay or black or whatever.

Anyway. Charlotte, I wish everyone had been forced to watch as many wildlife documentaries as children as we watched, not only because they're awesome, but so they would know the difference between tortoises and turtles, leopards and tigers, and they would also know that there are no tigers in Africa. I had to educate someone at work about this recently.

And Vlad, I always pictured your hair as being under one of those big Russian fur hats, and therefore a mystery. :wink:

The worst thing about that post was that you probably weren't joking. :laugh:

I tried to give myself a fringe once - it did not go well. I don't think hair on the forehead works for me.

I read that as "I tried to give myself a fridge once". How could that possibly go wrong if it were a fridge full of cider? :wink:

If I were to do it more permanently, I'd probably style it differently because I don't like hair on my forehead and I really don't like hair getting in my eyes. I am aiming to keep growing it longer if nothing else. I've always wanted long hair; I'm jealous of all those shoegaze and metal guys with gorgeous flowing hair (as opposed to the ones with long straggly greasy hair, of whom I'm not jealous in the slightest).

Man, even I'm jealous of some of those floppy haired Englishmen! I have shorter hair at the moment though, hopefully it'll be a little more James Mayish by the time you guys are around.

Hell, if I've learnt anything from a few recent comments sections on Age articles, misogyny remains far more of a problem in general than I thought it was, and there are a disturbing number of "men r teh persekutedz" guys out there. Or maybe it's all just financeguy's alters. I'd prefer to just believe it's a few random crackpots on FYM/in stupid political parties that last one election and disappear/nutters holding "Justice So-and-So is a BITCH!!!11!1" signs outside the Family Court.

Oh yeah, it's still absolutely everywhere. Any damn comments section, where the dregs of society lurch about... I would have if most of them were financeguy but unfortunately it's so much more widespread than that. The trolls aren't the worst. You know where you stand with them. They're just gonna say cunt and sammich and they're just being dicks for the sake of being dicks. It's the guys who can actually write, who actually genuinely believe that men are raped more than women, that women are less strong and inferior in every way, that the fact that sexy guys are being objectified in romance novels is even remotely comparable to the enormous pay differences between a man and woman with the same job and qualifications, let alone everything else that are the worst. It's funny because most feminists (as in, fuller on ones) I've met and read about seem interested in examining how misandry can seap into the media more closely (myself included), and yet all these jerks seem to think feminists hate men. Even the men, I suppose?

Bonnie - I did mean to respond to your post before, but the swiss cheese brain struck again. That sort of thing makes me so mad that I try not to think about it, but all the best for your ambitions. The only way things will change is if awesome people like you get into those male-dominated areas and smack them all around the head.

I dunno if it's the same thing or not, but the way Julia Gillard has been treated by the media, much of the general public, and various prominent commentators makes me fucking despair. When other women are disparaging her purely because of her appearance... ARGH. I wonder what the suffragettes would say if they could see this.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - without taking anything away from women who are the first women to be/do X, true equality will be when no one thinks it noteworthy that the Prime Minister is a woman or gay or black or whatever.

Cheers Ali. Will do :up:

Gillard is treated abhorrently by not just the media, but a huge portion of the country, and though most won't admit it, there's no doubt that sexism is still a big factor in how a great amount of the general public percieves her. You may find this interesting, too.

Anyway, Vlad... long, curly hair? Like Michael Bolton?

I unwittingly ("hey, cut it a bit short, you know?" "OK *BUZZ*") got a buzzcut back in April. I looked like I was 5. Now it's grown out a bit and I look 7 or 8 :up:

Shit man you'll be up to the big 10-0 in no time :up:

This haircut is pretty much the same as the one I had when I was about 12, and I still don't seem to look like an adult, so it's a viable method of time travel or something.

My hair is uh...

Well I found a file called "timeline of hairs" which went from 2005 to 2007. It has 12 completely different haircuts and styles. From 2007 to now there are probably at least 12 more cuts and styles :crack:

Whoa, that's crazy. I'm always amazed how people do that, I'm so completely unadventurous with my hair. About the only remotely rebellious thing I've done is have blue streaks put in when I went to the Big Day Out once. I probably just looked like a dumb anime character.

I'm completely content with my long, curly hair but I can't help but feel like I want to change it up a little by cutting it short next time around.

I wish I had a Marx-esque beard. :sigh:

He was the coolest because he equally distributed fists in people's faces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom