Y'all, GRACE is a fitting closer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tackleberry

War Child
I was recently looking at the lyrics to GRace and I have come to the conclusion that this song is essential to ATYCLB.

I know some people have disregarded this tune, and have called it the weekest link on the album. That's false(in my opinion :) )
Because it wraps up the theme in a neat and clean way, and the words are really beautiful. Seriously.

I love how Bono plays a pun on the word Grace, using as a metaphor for a woman who "could change the world". And I believe that all the qualities of the term Grace apply here to the theme of ATYCLB. This divine assistance that grace offers is something lost in the world today, this need for unselfish love and help is greater than ever, and I think this song is a tribute to that.

And look at the comparison with Beautiful Day and Grace. They are similar. Both are very zen-like and in terms of U2's work they can be seen as also un-religious, stepping outside of the normal organized, Bible following that they have been so accustomed to. This is more universal. It allows for something truly spiritual and organic, more powerful than any sort of "defined" God. I think Beautiful Day and Grace are both about looking at the beauty in everything. Beauty in loss, hurt, joy, forgiveness, etc. And thats why they work as opener and closer to this spiritual album.

Grace is very new-age, very contemporary in its meaning and it provides a positive view on the world, a world where negativity runs amock.

So to sum it up...I like GRACE.
:p

I like Grace as well.
In former times I used to nap over it and didn't even came to the second verse. :rolleyes: :D
But it is indeed a very cool song - lyrically and musically. :yes:

I love Grace ...

I can't understand why people knock it ... it is a fitting closer ... just as 40 was the perfect end to War and MLK was teh perfect ending to UF.

this may sounds a little hokey...but that song really helped me out so much the other day...

i was leaving work, stressed from this awful camp i have had to visit everyday for the past two weeks and shout and scream over 50 noisy kids every session...they don't care that i am there...the counselors did SHIT....and i felt like it was such a waste of my time...and my staff had reduced their already paltry work ethic to "below the three toed sloth" speed....

and i got into the car to head to our supply area and the very, very, very beginning of this song came over the radio with it's soothing, smoothing bass line...and i got to hear bono's voice and it truly had the most positive calming effect on my spirit.

i really agree with you about the essential-ness of this song. i am so pleased they made it...

..over in the UK the final track is Track 12 The Ground Beneath Her Feet..along with Grace these two songs tie in fairly well together..it worked suprisingly well~

Back
Top Bottom