WITS = Most similar to which Beatles song?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think WITS has definitely got a White Album thing about. Sounds a bit like Sexy Sadie with a bit of Instant Karma thrown in too.

I like it. But having said that, i'd still like to see U2 go down a different route for a change. It's still a pop song whether they like it or not. I'd like to see them make some more challenging music. And not down the vein of experimenting with electronics and so on, i think they covered that well enough with Zooropa, Passengers and Pop.

Perhaps a rockier album where Edge can play a few more licks, a few more solo's. Some more complex bass parts for clayton too. I know Edge likes keeping with the anti-punk ethos of no guitar solo's and we know he likes his echo's and delays but we know he can PLAY by looking at the Fly solo's and the Bullet solo's. I think taking their music versatility higher would be a good step forward.

It has a great post-Beatles Lennon vibe to it. Like something from Plastic Ono Band. Especially the melody on the first verses.

The beatles did in fact travel in time for this one. I don't think Abbey Road has much to with it because clip 400 was around way before that. But:

EDIT: Please don't ever let me out of here = Getting so much better all the time.

And the harmonies are beatlesque totally.

of course noel gallagher has been doing this for some time now, god i love him.

i don't think this is a bad song. of course some will trash it and flame it. but personally i wasn't expecting anything in the lines of zooropa, pop etc, etc. this is what i had in mind.

i think the last verse is just the best thing that u2 has put out it quite some time.

but that´s IMHO

An interesting thing about the Instant Karma comparison is that U2 started playing a lot (8 times?) it towards the end of Vertigo in 2005. Maybe that's how the Beatles sound got in their heads and hands, or maybe they already had it and that's why they played it?

BigMacPhisto said:

And don't try and act like Pitchfork is the only site that'll give U2 a bad review.

:huh: Nobody said that.

BigMacPhisto, I feel like we're having two entirely different conversations. So rather than being all "but ... but .... but!" I'll just say this:

Have an awesome day. :wink:

xaviMF22 said:

HA HA HA HA HA AHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :LOL :lol::lol:

thanx for making me laugh son,:|

Well, it IS better than some Lennon songs. Never was that big a fan of Lennon solo. :eyebrow:

Well, technically it's a John Lennon song, not a Beatles song; but WITS really reminds me of Instant Karma.

Give the two choruses a listen:

"We all shine on; like the moon, and the stars, and the sun."

"Oh can't you see what our love has done; oh can't you see what our love has done."

"Instant Karma" is definitely the closest sounding Beatlesque song that I can think of that was actually done by a Beatle. I'm still hearing more Oasis here than anything else. It's a different step for U2, but if I had heard this on a recent Oasis album I wouldn't have batted an eye.

BigMacPhisto said:

All I'm saying is that there's a much bigger world of music out there

wh-wh-WHAAAAAAAA?!?! :shocked:

I don't get why you're going on and on about this. Have you ever been to Just the Bang and the Clatter? I think you'd fit in quite well if you don't post in there already, half of them seem to hate U2 :wink: but seriously, I don't know who you're addressing here, but as someone else said I believe, U2 fans have extremely varied taste. I don't know why you're blabbering on about the "underground" or "indie" music scene when I'm sure there are PLENTY of people here that are into bands that fit into those categories. You come across as very condescending, lecturing everyone about the music you like as if we all listen to nothing but pop radio. There are very few people here that listen to nothing but U2, and contrary to your belief there also seem to be very few "sheep." Most people on this board do NOT think U2 can do no wrong. In fact, there are more people that criticize U2's every move than praise them.

But my bad, this song clearly doesn't compare to The Go! Team. If only U2 were more like the innovative underground bands. I'd like them so much more if they made albums like Sujfan Stevens. Making brilliant pop songs just isn't enough, they need to make songs about zombies in the night or whatever.

Look. U2 is the biggest band in the world. I understand your predicament. Kinda hard to have that indie cred if you like U2.

It's all opinion, just don't talk down to us.

Personally, I enjoy this song, and like I said before, Instant Karma comes to mind :D

The feel of this song is like an improved version of Flower Child...which in itself sounded like a Beatles song. I like it!

I absolutely love alot of indie music (Sufjan Stevens' and Andrew Bird's albums were my favorites of last year), but I feel the need to add that Pitchfork is complete trash. Lord I hate that site. It's almost as if they randomly give albums good ratings.

There are probably about a dozen Beatles/Lennon songs in 'Windows in the Skies'. I'll try and figure them out as time goes by, but here's one DEFINITE sample:

I've got no shame
Oh no, oh no!

The part in bold is definitely from 'Hello Goodbye' from the Beatles' Magical Mystery Tour album -- both the lyrics and the melody are identicle. It's almost like Bono's warning us, "I've got no shame" to prepare us for the direct sample! Too funny....but I like it nonetheless. It fits.

The Slow Loris said:

I've got no shame
Oh no, oh no!

The part in bold is definitely from 'Hello Goodbye' from the Beatles' Magical Mystery Tour album

hahah you're right! I hadn't noticed it but it really is similar, also the part of PLEASE DON'T EVER LET ME OUT OF HERE I'm sure it sounds like another beatle song but I can't remember which...

the edge's part after that sounds a lot like george harrison's playing, 'cause he used a 12string also

scaramanga2 said:

hahah you're right! I hadn't noticed it but it really is similar, also the part of PLEASE DON'T EVER LET ME OUT OF HERE I'm sure it sounds like another beatle song but I can't remember which...

"Every single day of my life..."?
From Got To Get You Into My Life

SeattleVertigo said:

Yep. :up: And that song was written by Paul McCartney.

I told ya. He told them a few things when he was in the studio.

Utoo should read this. :drool:

U2Man said:

Yep. :up: And that song was written by Paul McCartney.

I told ya. He told them a few things when he was in the studio.

Utoo should read this. :drool:

:wink:
Nice!! Both great moments in their respective songs. :drool:

I absolutely wouldn't doubt that Paul threw a few opinions in there, and that some could very well have had an impact on the song. :yes: It's definitely clear that they played around with this song a lot in Abbey Road (i.e., compared to the beach clip), and I think a lot of influences from the moments there ended up on this final version. I still say that "rhapsodize" most likely came about because they were probably doing the Saints/Rhapsody deal & hearing the word struck a chord with Bono. I bet that Paul's presence or advice struck a few good chords, too.

I wonder..... What was the intention behind going to Abbey Road? Had they booked it just to record there? Or did they have Beatles on the mind from the start? Either way, I'm very curious to hear what the other tracks recorded there sound like....:hyper:

Last edited:
No one goes to Abbey Road without having the fab four in their minds, Utoo :wink:

I hope they record the new album there. It's gonna be awesome. I have no doubts anymore :drool:

SeattleVertigo said:

Thank you, thank you for posting that. I was going crazy here, trying to figure that out. I'm very relieved now :wink:

I'm in love with this song!

Similar but if anything it was probably done subconsciously.
I don't think George Martin and McCartney had that much influence on them.

Yeah indeed....like solo material of Lennon....but the oh-oh-oh-ohhhh compares a little to parts of Revolution I think.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom