Wild Horses Kindergarten Version

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gonna Run 2 U

New Yorker
I'm a sinner, you're the holy child
But your sacred heart is a savage scratching at my door
And your lips of blood have me screaming out
For more and more..

Killer version. Better than the original in my opinion. I thought this song deserved its own thread. Goes back to the theory that sometimes U2 over cook their songs and I think this song is proof of that. Dont get me wrong the album version is great but I hear more passion and sense of urgency especially from Bono in this version. Great vocals :up:

"They hated that song. I spent a month on it and I still don't think it was as realised as it could've been. The Americans had heard it and said, 'That's your radio song there,' because they were having trouble with some of the more industrial elements. It's almost like a covers band doing a U2 moment. Maybe we tried too hard." - Steve Lillywhite, Q 2002

It is a great song- immediately hooks you in. However, I am very happy they included the original song into achtung baby. It led to the radio friendly temple bar remix- THE song that turned me into a U2 fan. If it wasn't for that awesome remix, I don't know if I'd be the U2 fan I am now.

man i jut love this song better then original...the guitar is simple and pure, and the last minute of song is just pure sensation (the kind of i get while listening wowy at the end...)

My favourite of the Kindergarten disc. Horses is one of my favourite U2 songs from the very first moment and the Kindergarten version is even better. Bono's voice is just:drool:

Spoiling the party here, I know, but I still think it's a mess, I'm not into that Kindergarten version at all, it leads nowhere and is too long. I'm not the biggest fan of Wild Horses on the album, but given the choice I'd still take the album version over the Kindergarten version a hundred times. It's interesting to hear where Wild Horses came from, but the song is making me nervous, it sound so raw, unfinished, undecided and unfocused. There are other songs on the Kindergarten disc that I enjoy much more. LIB is my favourite version, easily, and the only one that I even consider coming close to the album version, while all the others are inferior to the album songs, at least IMO.

It's interesting to hear where Wild Horses came from, but the song is making me nervous, it sound so raw, unfinished, undecided and unfocused.

This is one of the reasons I think I enjoy this version so much more. At first, I had to force myself to listen to it without trying to sing a long and just feel where Bono and the band were trying to take the song emotionally and not necessarily structurally.

I have always preferred the Morning Child demos to Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses. Some great guitar work from The Edge on those. So it's no surprise that I do prefer this Kindergarten version as well to the final version, which is one of many examples of U2 overcooking the song simply too much.

The one song warranting more than one listen in the Kindergarten AB, with the reggae version of Tryin' to throw your arms around the world (if the latter's your thing).

Still, album version's better.

Agree, I love this version of Wild horses. That was the song that hooked me into U2. Kindergarten wild horses has a passion and spirit and sheer sense of desperation that is unmatched by the album version, What emotion in the lyrics and voice.

The one song warranting more than one listen in the Kindergarten AB, with the reggae version of Tryin' to throw your arms around the world (if the latter's your thing).

Still, album version's better.

Reggae?

At this point, I agree that the Kindergarten version is superior. The album version to me has always seemed overcooked...I believe that I've read multiple times how U2 felt that the final version lacked the feeling of the earlier versions and I can totally see what they were saying. The Kindergarten version has music that feels much more natural with the song and overall feeling, though it might not have fit with the "don't sound like U2" vibe that the band was going for. I prefer most of the lyrics, and most importantly the emotion and vocals from Bono are incredible.

I think the Kindergarten Wild Horses is one of the only tracks on it that is close to as good as what made Achtung Baby. I dont think it surpassess it though. I think the Kindergarten disc is very interesting and I will listen to it on occassion. But I think it also shows that U2 made the right decisions as to what mix they used of most songs.

My only disagreement with them after hearing all of this stuff regarding Achtung Baby was not putting Down All The Days on it. I think it is a good song and should have made the album. It was on the final board in the studio for songs for the album, so it was obviously under major consideration. I like it better than what it became on Zooropa.

I think the Kindergarten Wild Horses is one of the only tracks on it that is close to as good as what made Achtung Baby. I dont think it surpassess it though. I think the Kindergarten disc is very interesting and I will listen to it on occassion. But I think it also shows that U2 made the right decisions as to what mix they used of most songs.
I agree. None of the Kindergarten tracks are better than the album versions (nor should they be), but Wild Horses is the only one that comes close.

And Ultraviolet.

I may be in the minority, but I adore the album version of Wild Horses. I like it much more than Kindergarten.

Nickoslo: the guitar is simple and pure, and the last minute of song is just pure sensation (the kind of i get while listening wowy at the end...)

Yes, the last 30 seconds by Edge is sweet

The rolling stone article mentions edge saying he felt the vocal take on this version was superior to the album - agree 100%

The rolling stone article mentions edge saying he felt the vocal take on this version was superior to the album - agree 100%

I definitely agree.

In the Kindergarten version when Bono sings, "Come on now looooove, don't you look baaaaaaaack." Ahhhhh goosebumps.

And I don't mind the album version, but I think that the "Baby" version has a lot more power and a lot more kick. The original version is very emotionally powerful and it's a wonderful song. But I think I'd like it better if it was closer to the beast is became when they played it live on ZooTV

I was craving for SOMETHING new and GOOD from U2 for a long time now, and this is it. Brilliant version!
WGRYWH(temple bar) is in my top5 U2 songs anyway but this version for me is even better than the original...listening to this and the Killer's UV cover for 2 full days now and I'm not even slightly bored yet!

Does anyone have the lyrics ?:cute:

I like the 'Kindergarten' version alot.

You can see where the song went from it's earlier incarnations "Morning Child" and "Don't Turn Around" (from the 'Salome' bootleg) into something more like this (Kindergarten version) to what became the album version.

They've said that the Temple Bar mixes were taking it back a bit more to what it was intended.

But I have to say, I love the thick guitar textures of the ZOOTV tour (live) versions.

The band have said that they felt that they never got this song right. For me, I think that they got it right a few times.

In the end, I know that some will complain: "Why did they even put this out. Why didn't they put out 'X' instead..." Whatever. I think it's great that they made the Super and Uber sets. I'm glad that the 'Kindergarten' disc, in particular gives us a bit of insight into the working process... you can see how the final version came to be.

Daniel Lanois has often said that Achtung Baby, like all U2 albums was a flurry of activity in the end. He's said that it would have been a different album had it been released even a week earlier. The 'kindergarten' disc seem to prove that point.

:up:

+1

There seem to be alot of people referencing 'reggae' when describing some of the 'kindergarten' and 'bonus' tracks.

None of them sound even remotely like reggae. Sure, some of them are 'bluesy' but certainly not reggae.

What would Bob Marley think if he was reading this forum?:coocoo:

Are you following me?:D
Nope - the TTTYAATW baby has a reggae vibe to it (as do the backup vocals.)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom