Wide Awake in Europe DISCUSSION ONLY - No Email Requests!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow what a rip off. :| That's not quite the spirit of Recordstore day there.

Yeah, I know. I was kinda annoyed, but I drove 45 minutes to that store, and if I didn't get it, I would have either been without one, or had to fork up $150 for one on eBay. I wish I had pre-ordered one online when I got the chance. :doh:

Although the lady made it seem like she was doing us customers a favor by selling it in the store as opposed to putting it right onto eBay like other stores in my area had done. I think a lot of stores (at least near Philadelphia) missed the whole point of Record Store Day.

I think 0031 is the lowest we've seen sofar. :D

Checkout ebay, #0001 is up for sale, for $1000!

It's not my auction, but I still don't think I'm allowed to post a link so you'll just have to search for the highest priced one.

I'm shocked it was released to the public!

Checkout ebay, #0001 is up for sale, for $1000!

It's not my auction, but I still don't think I'm allowed to post a link so you'll just have to search for the highest priced one.

I'm shocked it was released to the public!

Wow, the "Buy it Now" price is 2,000.

I have to really question someone's priorities if they are willing to pay that kind of money...

How much did anyone pay for the EP (who bought it in a store)? The record store where I got it was selling them for $50.
Holy shit. My record store was selling the special edition of The Black Keys' Brothers for $40, and that's a whole album on two LPs cut at 45 RPM, a bonus disc, the album on CD, and a poster. And they were charging $10 more than that for three songs?

Bejaysus.

How much did anyone pay for the EP (who bought it in a store)? The record store where I got it was selling them for $50.

I was shocked to see the price that high and told the lady there I saw it going else where for $10-20. She said she was either gonna sell them for $50 or put them on eBay like every other record store in my area apparently had done.

Wow, that sounds like a direct violation of the Record Store Day policy. Maybe we should track down who is in charge of handling this yearly event and make them aware of this person's actions? I say lets get her shop black listed so she can NEVER partake in RSD! :applaud:

I have to really question someone's priorities if they are willing to pay that kind of money...
If I'd have too much money then I'd definitly consider something like that, unfortunately I don't. :wink:

As an aside, one of the rare AIWIY purple singles is up right now too, and with fifteen bidders, its already reached $2000.

Its surprising what some people will pay, but I guess if you're lucky enough to have the disposable income, why not?

That being said, while I don't mind paying a bit extra/markup to support local record stores, its a little bit unfair to take advantage of the customers who are turning up to support you in such a blatant way.

Why? Is number 001 really going to be worth more than 269?

To some, yes.....its the very first one to get pressed......just like the 2,500th and 5,000th (even though the numbers are screwy) will hold special value to collectors....

AWESOME! On a side note, the record shop that I stopped at to get my copies of WAIE were running a contest to see Passion Pit tomorrow night at the Moore Theater.....guess who won!!! :D

easystreetpit.jpg

:applaud::applaud::applaud::applaud::applaud::applaud::applaud::applaud::hyper::hyper:

AWESOME! On a side note, the record shop that I stopped at to get my copies of WAIE were running a contest to see Passion Pit tomorrow night at the Moore Theater.....guess who won!!! :D
:applaud::applaud::applaud::applaud::applaud::applaud::applaud::applaud::hyper::hyper:
So you own WAIE and you get to see Passion Pit?

...WORDS CANNOT DESCRIBE HOW MUCH I ENVY YOU RIGHT NOW.
Seriously, though, enjoy it! They're a great band, and seeing them live should be a lot of fun.

Wow, that sounds like a direct violation of the Record Store Day policy. Maybe we should track down who is in charge of handling this yearly event and make them aware of this person's actions? I say lets get her shop black listed so she can NEVER partake in RSD! :applaud:

http://www.recordstoreday.com/CustomPage/614

ABOUT US
The original idea for Record Store Day was conceived by Chris Brown, and was founded in 2007 by Eric Levin, Michael Kurtz, Carrie Colliton, Amy Dorfman, Don Van Cleave and Brian Poehner as a celebration of the unique culture surrounding over 700 independently owned record stores in the USA, and hundreds of similar stores internationally.
Record Store Day is currently managed by Eric Levin, Michael Kurtz, Melanie Nipper, and Carrie Colliton. Folks wanting to contact Record Store Day are encouraged to email us at information@recordstoreday.com

U2 should do this every year, but release 10,000 or 20,000. Donate the proceeds to record store day after recovering costs. They'd prop the whole thing up. And we'd get a new EP every year.

Are there any policies affiliated with RSD? I mean, I don't want to just complain saying that it was too expensive.

Are there any policies affiliated with RSD? I mean, I don't want to just complain saying that it was too expensive.

I would just go ahead and e-mail them, and let them decide if it's a violation of the policy.

I'd say at the very least that it's unethical to charge an insanely high price for an item that was specifically manufactured in order to help your store stay in business and thrive, and definitely not in keeping with the the spirit for which Record Store Day was intended.

I would just go ahead and e-mail them, and let them decide if it's a violation of the policy.

I'd say at the very least that it's unethical to charge an insanely high price for an item that was specifically manufactured in order to help your store stay in business and thrive, and definitely not in keeping with the the spirit for which Record Store Day was intended.

Ok, good point. I'll email them now and let everyone know how things turn out.

Participating stores are supposed to sign a pledge:

Record Store Day Pledge said:
1. Product created for Record Store Day will be sold in physical retail stores.

2. Stores will not sell Record Store Day releases online, nor will orders be taken online for later shipping, prior to that year’s actual Record Store Day.

3. Product remaining after Record Store Day can be put up on a store’s website the day after Record Store Day, but stores will not hold product back from physical customers in order to post it online, nor will set prices online be markedly above in-store prices.

4. If a store uses an auction site (like Ebay or any other site where the seller can not list a firm sale price) to sell overstock Record Store Day pieces, they should wait at least one month from Record Store Day to do so.

5. Because of the limited quantity of some items and the necessity of allocating, stores are asked not to take pre-orders for Record Store Day product. In the past, this has resulted in customers not receiving items they have paid for.

yeah, I don't really get this. If somebody has essentially an unlimited source of disposable income, then why not? I'm sure that the 0001 would mean something to them, for whatever reason. If somebody doesn't have that type of money and stretches themselves thin to buy it...then yea, that's a bit wacky. But smoke 'em if you got 'em.

If we email the guys behind record store day, can they view this thread without being a member of interference?

Why? Is number 001 really going to be worth more than 269?

Hawkmoon :drool:

Yes I think 001 would definitely be worth more than another random number.

Maybe some hardcore fans will place a little higher value on special "U2"-ified numbers (3, 269, 333, etc) but number 1 will always be special.

Record Store Day Pledge said:
3. Product remaining after Record Store Day can be put up on a store’s website the day after Record Store Day, but stores will not hold product back from physical customers in order to post it online, nor will set prices online be markedly above in-store prices.
:uhoh:

yeah, I don't really get this. If somebody has essentially an unlimited source of disposable income, then why not? I'm sure that the 0001 would mean something to them, for whatever reason. If somebody doesn't have that type of money and stretches themselves thin to buy it...then yea, that's a bit wacky. But smoke 'em if you got 'em.

Sure if money means nothing to you, then all logic goes out the window, but I'm thinking that most collectors don't fall into this category.

This was not a market driven bid, this was an arbitrary inflated one. If you're a true collector does the number really drive the price up that much even if it's from the same pressing?

A collector will buy for emotional reasons but they're also looking for the investment, will a collector spend 3 times market value just to say he/she has number 1?

If we email the guys behind record store day, can they view this thread without being a member of interference?

Yes.

They should also be made aware of the lovely record store owner that our old friend oldmanfly or whatever the hell his name was, told us about. The one who sold him 10 copies several days before the on sale date. He mentioned the name of the store in one of his posts.

Eta - okay, I just found the portion of his post I was referring to, but I don't think he was talking about the place he bought from. This is what he said:

To Danny Boy and BVS, there's a independant record store called Cutlers Music in New Haven who happened to put up for sale the first physical copy on ebay. Why don't u2 grow some balls, call him, and give him the same shit about store sellers that you posted in here. His name is Phil, and he will tell you to go shit in your know it all, be all hats.

2. Stores will not sell Record Store Day releases online, nor will orders be taken online for later shipping, prior to that year’s actual Record Store Day.

This would get Vintage Vinyl in trouble with them as well...

BTW, looking at wideawakein.eu there is a big gap in distribution of records listing between 2564 (which happens to be mine) and 3801, perhaps that's where a lot of the spoilage was.

So I hit up two people on twitter to get some light shed on this issue with the stores going to ebay or jacking the price up in-store. Tweet to @vinylhunt & @recordstoreday and let them know what went down with your local store.....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom