Why "U2 3D" is only disappointing ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZOOTVTOURist

Refugee
Why "U2 3D" is a disappointment ...

Two nights ago, I watched the movie in my hometown Munich. Me and my friends have been looking forward to this event for moths. The promoted ground breaking "U2 3D". The ground beneath my feet actually did break, but in another way than hoped for ...

The conditions were perfect: the top-modern cinema, spectacular seats and an excellent sound system. Of course there were some of the themselves calling U2-fans, who dring way too much beer, who stink (in narrow seats not that comfortable), who chatter during the film – and might fit better in Oktoberfest or Daytona at spring break. How I hate these stupid lads always behaving like human apes. But then there was the majority: Elder people, from their (mid-) 30ies upwards. In a cinema, even at the now premiere of "U2 3D" at its best a third-full. Hm, ..

The running girl and suddenly "Vertigo" crashing in with full power. The band, U2 are on stage. Or maybe not. In fact they are only on screen, taped, in my glasses, a kind of ZOO TV moment for everyone, everyone and so for my brain, that – strange impression after the first minutes – didn't get there.
On the contrary, I really witnessed myself observing all of this, from the outside – and not being into it, being part of it. There was no real soul, neither on screen with the band posing for the cameras (with Bono being more professional, while thinner than ever Larry didn't give a smile until the bitter end ...) neither from myself. Flashes of fascination for the technical aspects, yes, but very often all of it looked like a 2D rather than 3D. Yes, Bono close, Larry close, Edge on fire, Adam and his instrument close, fine. But after three songs choreograohed like this, you have it, it becomes the U2-clichee for critics: Bono the self-loving missionary man leading a singing mass with no real individuals – you only get to listen to them, when during the too many crowd-pleaser songs in the film their volume has been (artificially) turned up by the film makers or completely turned off (artificially).

And you feel & name it: This is not a U2 gig, this isn't even the experience of being moved to tears like when having watched "Rattle And Hum", a movie with a message creating images being icons until today.
This "U2 3D" is far from such an artistic quality and emotional experience, it is becoming lacklustre – not worthy the nice idea presenting the band in 3D. I really felt alienated from this, you name it 'product'.

Unnecessary cuts even inbetween the same song, the crowd jumping like hell in one second, while the next picture showing them all sleeping ("Streets"), too much band, band, band, while the crowd is only a huge anonymous mass (of welcomed ticket payers?), who seem to celebrate every coughing on stage. Bono obviously having restrained himself not to let out any little snippet as part of the songs – which made tunes like "Vertigo", "B-Day", "WOWY" and others at its best nice or o.k. performed, but far from the energy these songs had on many, many nights of the tour.
A tune like "SYCMIOYO" didn't develop its full chilling glory with too many cuts, a way too short "sing" by Bono in the middle. And who advised the band to put a low-energy, rather pointless version of the once "Bullet The Blue Sky" in such a short movie – preventing another tune to be performed?

This leads to another point: In "U2 3D" you get the image of the band's 'Greatest Hits'/ live war horses performed for the masses, as mass sing alongs, damaging tunes like "WOWY" or "One" – "oh-oh-oh-oh ..." And, yes, there is the near silence of "Miss Sarajewo", there is a bit of what could have been in 3D during a (pretty boring) version of "The Fly" and a brutally butchered studio-live version of "Yahweh" – but that's not saving this film, not at all.

What you get is an obviously mislead project from the early beginning: A pretty short movie. A film wanting to bring the band closer to you, which is only a few times fascinating, the most part only boring (no backstage scenery, no hotel rooms, no city walks, no nothing – only the same moves, that only the most blind hardcore fand might praiss as "awesome!"). A film wanting to be a document of the tour, which it is not. A film wanting to present you some tunes, clustered together with no real concept, no surprise. And a real director is missing: Phil Joanou, Anton Corbijn or Martin Scorsese – why didn't you do it? Please, Miss Catherine Owens, if all or most of this falls into your responsibility – please stay out of the next tour!
Where's a storyboard, a frame? One of a zillion ideas: Why not take the girld pumping in the inner circle at the beginning, following her in the show and letting her wave good-bye at the end. Why not show some of the cities, show the band, present some onterference during the so-called concert footage? It should have been a movie, no?
A missed opportunity, a creative let-down and a commercial flop too, I do fear. Because who out there, apart from the most hardcore fans cares for such a mistaken film?

As a real hardcore fan, I really have to admit: We may need three chords & the truth – but I don't need this movie. Sorry.

Last edited:
hmm. interesting.
i've heard nothing but praise for this film, and it's a shame i won't be able to see it for myself to make up my own mind.
however, if you're indeed spot on regards to their relentless "moves" (such as any truly awkward gyrations by bono), maybe it's best the money stayed in my pocket afterall.
i do imagine you'll get a healthy response to this thread.

i imagine by page 5 you'll see loads of these :lock: smilies.

I loved it the first, the second and the third time, and I will love it again the fourth time this evening. :drool: :wink:

In other Cinemas, I've heard, the audio isn't the best, but here in Berlin it's great.

I agree, they left out a lot of songs and snippets, but I wasn't disappointed by how the songs were performed (well, ok, I am surely the blind hardcore follower), though I sure would have loved a Shine like stars snippet, and much prefer the versions of Bullet the Blue Sky of the older tours.

I don't think it was intended to be a movie, hence I'm not surprised, and not missing, shots of the cities they toured or such.

I agree that the energy wasn't transferred into the cinema audience as I was hoping for, no one was dancing and only in the first night some were applauding, but I guess most people will always have in their mind that they are just sitting in a cinema and thus hold back their emotions.

In this movie the first time they did those long shots of Edge or Adam playing guitar, something I missed on almost every other DVD. At other times they missed great opportunities, like Bono's hugging during SYCMIOYO not being shown in 3D.

As for the moves, or Larry's mimic, I don't think that was any different as they did on over concerts, so I'm not quite sure what you had wished for.

My only real critique here is: Too short. :)

Have you been to a U2 show recently? I just saw the movie the day before yesterday, and I thought it was actually pretty accurate. Larry doesn't smile when he plays. Bono does take himself pretty seriously, and the Edge does the same head bops and foot shakes and solos every night. Love it or hate it, that's what U2 does these days--tries to put on the same show every night in a different city. What they lack in spontaneity they make up for in precision.

Of course there's going to be some rough editing--it was shot in several different stadiums and was from different parts of the show. I did like that they followed one whole movement of the typical setlist, from BTBS to One, but if they weren't going to include a whole show, they had to jump around a bit. That was most jarring to me in the beginning (why they didn't open the film with COBL is beyond me), but I forgot about it after awhile. In fact, I forgot I was even watching a movie after awhile.

And as far as your criticism of the crowd being a "huge anonymous mass," in stadiums of that size, that's probably how most concertgoers feel about those who aren't immediately around them. It would've been a mammoth task to choose people to focus on, keep track of them for the whole night, then follow up with them, and I think it would've detracted from what the movie was meant to be--a concert film. That whole "everyone" bit at the beginning was a call to the viewers. This film is for everyone, even people who've never had the chance to see a U2 show. Everyone is equal. Everyone gets the same view (which we know doesn't happen at a show).

I don't think the movie was intended to have any sort of narrative arc. That would've been a waste of the technology, having interview segments or moments like that in 3D. Besides, it's been done already--they're long past the point of ever being able to make another Rattle & Hum. I agree with you that that part at the beginning with the woman running is a bit misleading, but I think the filmmakers probably expected most people to get so caught up in the music that they'd lose track of a storyline anyway.

This wasn't meant to be a documentary, nor was it intended to cater just to hardcore U2 fans. I think that explains the setlist, as well as why it wasn't a full show. It sounds to me like a lot of your criticisms of the movie are more criticisms of the band's current live persona.

The movie wasn't perfect--it made me realize how emotionless some of the staples have become--but I do think it portrayed the Vertigo tour very accurately for the intended general audience and made good use of the technology.

And The Fly alone was worth the price of admission :drool:

It's supposed to capture the concert experience.. It's not supposed to tell or a story or be a Rattle and Hum part 2.. IE.. Walking city streets or showing footage of backstage or hotel rooms etc.

I wish they had this technology for Rattle and Hum. U23D was ok considering the band is a lot older these days and bono plays overly self important it kinda makes me cringe. Its like" okay well were the "best band in the world" its ok if my vocal range isnt the same or i dont try as much...Im Bono and theyve all heard these songs before.all i have to do is give a rant and an important stare"

Last edited:
I reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally disagree with the initial post. I'd go on about it, but BonoIsMyMuse already said it better.

The set list put me to sleep. Mostly tired 'bathroom break' tunes that have been void of energy for years now. All of their older, political songs were there. Bullet, NYD, SBS, etc and you know what? They all lacked energy and SLOWED THE FILM DOWN (just like they do live.)

Which leads me to my theory that this was trying to be a film with a political statement. Don't really know what that statement was, and I don't think the director knows either. It was more like, 'Oh yeah, these songs are important so they have to be in the film.' And when you pander to some idea as opposed to the quality of the film you're making, you've got problems. The result is a somewhat entertaining U23D.

U23D is a documentary of the Vertigo Tour in South America.

During their shows there, U2 played BTBS, NYD, SBS, One, WOWY etc nearly every night. This is why those tunes were in the film. Not because they wanted to make a separate "political statement" in the film, but because the political statements made at every single Vertigo Tour show during the Heart Of Darkness section of the setlists were part and parcel of the whole experience.

One cannot make a representative documentary of that tour without including those songs, can they. What songs would you have used instead, wolfwill? COBL and maybe Elevation are the only two obvious choices, and maybe Bad, but not to the exclusion of other songs in the film. As Vincent Vega said above, the only problem with the film is its short length. Another 15 minutes would have been perfect.

I totally understand how burned out everyone here is with all the hits. But, you'll notice, most of the fans in the South American audiences are ecstatic for SBS and Streets and WOWY, because most fans there have maybe seen U2 perhaps only one or two times. Us lucky fans up north are spoiled to have seen U2 as many times as we did, and we should appreciate that, rather than whine about songs we've heard too many times.

Besides, I think the 3D effect was so well done that songs everyone is here is tired of became fresh and exciting again.

what i'd be interested to know is those who didn't like the movie, if you saw a vertigo show, did you like it? or alternatively, how many people didn't like the movie and also didn't see a vertigo show. i wonder if there's any correllation, or maybe if those who don't like the movie were somehow expecting it to be drastically different than a typical U2 concert.

i was actually pleasantly surprised with how the movie was. i didn't really read any reviews or anything of it so i could go see it without any prejudices. i've only seen it once just because i haven't had a chance to see it multiple times. but i think it was great. it was a typical show, sure, but that's what kind of endearing about it. plus, i was glad to at least be able to see the zoo encore there, since i couldn't see it in person.

corianderstem said:
I reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally disagree with the initial post. I'd go on about it, but BonoIsMyMuse already said it better.

That's what I'm here for :wink:

For what it's worth, I'm not a big fan of New Year's Day, and I actually liked this performance of it. I also didn't mind One, I think because it was preceded with five minutes of :blahblah:

BTBS felt a bit half-assed, but that's how I've felt about every post-Popmart version of it. WOWY was really uninspired. I hope to god the four of them sat there at Sundance and saw that and made a note to scratch it from the next tour, or at least save it only for a few shows.

I wish they'd have used two Zoo songs for the encore. I was expecting Zoo Station after The Fly. I would've traded Beautiful Day for another Zoo song in a second.

And, for what it's worth, I really don't think Bono's Falcon was turned on. With as good as the sound was, I didn't hear any guitar parts that weren't Edge's :lol:

Me and another U2 fan thought it was the first time we actually heard Bono's guitar. :D

As said before, the movie is made for hardcor fans, casual fans and certainly for interested people, hence it's no surprise they focussed on those songs most people identify U2 with. If you are going to multiple shows each tour, or own many bootleggs, sure you are maybe tired with those songs, but that's something you have to live with. This movie wasn't done just for hardcore fans, and you will always miss some songs, or think this song really deserves a rest. But for most of the casual fans it most probably is not the case. And they sure were excited hearing the old "war horses".

Vincent Vega said:
Me and another U2 fan thought it was the first time we actually heard Bono's guitar. :D

As said before, the movie is made for hardcor fans, casual fans and certainly for interested people, hence it's no surprise they focussed on those songs most people identify U2 with. If you are going to multiple shows each tour, or own many bootleggs, sure you are maybe tired with those songs, but that's something you have to live with. This movie wasn't done just for hardcore fans, and you will always miss some songs, or think this song really deserves a rest. But for most of the casual fans it most probably is not the case. And they sure were excited hearing the old "war horses".

Totally agree. :up:

Re: Why "U2 3D" is a disappointment ...

ZOOTVTOURist said:

Flashes of fascination for the technical aspects, yes, but very often all of it looked like a 2D rather than 3D.

maybe he put on the wrong glasses

corianderstem said:

Yeah for me, add a couple more e's in there because I pretty much disagree with everything the original post says...but i will say I actually enjoyed WOWY and One and thought they were well performed...ZOOTVTOURist- I think your negative feelings towards this film will change as time moves on...you're just frustrated you couldn't walk away the film with as much satisfaction and enjoyment as most other people :shrug:

lastly, I just think that you are missing the point of the film slightly....and you're criticizing it based on what you want it to be like...and it shouldn't really be like R & H at all...so any comparison there is pointless

ok i'm done, but yeah, others have pretty much said a lot of what i was going to say anyway :)

i think what made it more enjoyable for me was seeing it with a fellow U2 fan and one guy that was recently getting into U2.. and drinking a little bit of bourbon before the show and just enjoying it for what it was.

KhanadaRhodes said:
what i'd be interested to know is those who didn't like the movie, if you saw a vertigo show, did you like it? ... it was a typical show, sure, but that's what kind of endearing about it.

Yes, I did see the VERTIGO Tour, even more than once :yes: - that's why I wrote this posting, I guess. Even more, because I estimate that '05/'06 outing on stage as one of the best tours U2 ever have made in their live career.

In other words: I loved the tour and I do dislike the
movie.

Somebody wrote, that the 'concert' (I won't repeat, why I don't see it like that) would capture the momentum of the South America leg.
You write, that this movie resemble a typical show. Sorry, but both statements are wrong:

1. A typical VERTIGO show, e.g. in the legs 1-3, has had a kind of the band's full circle regarding the setlist from at least two outings for BOY or OCTOBER tunes to the new stuff. U2 have put this idea in the shelves, when they played South America after their first night there. A bad decision, especially for "3D" ...

2. A typical VERTIGO show has had a structure, a "musical process" to quote Edge & Bono. You had

- the start
(butchered in the movie with "City" cut off and "Vertigo" crashing in from nowhere, while on the 2nd leg they at least entered the stage as part of the performance ...),

- the early tunes
(as said, unfortunately not there...)

- the soul part with "Found" or "Stuck"
(not there...)

- a maybe acoustic part
(though played in South America, not there ...
"First Time" had deserved to be shown ...)

- the always played 'block'
(shown in its entirety, from ""Sometimes... to "One", with no snippets)

- the encores
(from up to 7 tunes, even in South America, only three make it, pretty clustered, ey?)

- the closer
(pretty solid "All I Want Is You", '40', improvised versions of "Love Is Blindness" or "Love Rescue Me" – nothing of these in South America played gems is there, but "Yahweh", violated as described in my first post)

This is not a typical show (22 tunes plus x), but a let down with nearly getting only half of that number. As said: I don't need this movie, that has no value apart from playing with 3D technology ...

The movie was clearly advertised as being 84 minutes. Of course it wasn't going to be a typical show in terms of length. :shrug:

They probably could've done a longer show if it was more profitable to do so. Think about it, there's only one IMAX or DLP theater in one spot, meaning they'd have to capitalize on the amount of times it's shown per day.

That means sacrificing having the entire show to showing enough to satisfy (most) fans and make money.

The only thing I was disappointed by was the omission of COBL. Outside of that, it was a nice complimentary piece to the actual tour.

Am I the only one who thinks Yahweh was beautifully represented in the film? I've always preferred the acoustic version anyways, and Catherine Owen's artwork blends beautifully with the song. Easily my favorite part of the film.

Not a perfect film by any means, but still quite brilliant. U2 will never please every fan with the perfect setlist, in concert or film, but as a representation of a moment in time, I thought they did a great job.

That whole 3D thing was kinda cool too, guess I'm easy to please though. :lol:

Re: Re: Why "U2 3D" is a disappointment ...

pepokiss said:
maybe he put on the wrong glasses

No, my eyes are fine. Catherine Owens herself admits, that the whole movie was originally shot in 2D (!) – and afterwards everything was worked over in a complicated postproduction, so that a "3D" effect is built artificially on the computer.

Watch yourself the interview on www.u2log.com – and you may get my point ...

Last edited:
wolfwill23 said:
The set list put me to sleep. Mostly tired 'bathroom break' tunes that have been void of energy for years now. All of their older, political songs were there. Bullet, NYD, SBS, etc and you know what? They all lacked energy and SLOWED THE FILM DOWN (just like they do live.)

Which leads me to my theory that this was trying to be a film with a political statement. Don't really know what that statement was, and I don't think the director knows either. It was more like, 'Oh yeah, these songs are important so they have to be in the film.' And when you pander to some idea as opposed to the quality of the film you're making, you've got problems. The result is a somewhat entertaining U23D.

I think you interpret a bit too much there.
SYCMIOYO through One was a core element of the setlist and played nearly every night with only Love and Peace or Else being dropped a few times. In the film they showed exactly that part. And being political is also a core element of U2.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom