Why Original Of The Species Will Fail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think it's the one song after Vertigo that stands a chance of being a hit and somewhat popular in the US.

Not too much U2-like like MD or City, not another rock song after Vertigo or All because of you, and not another slow song after Sometimes.

I'm shocked that a thread about the next single has gone on this long without somebody suggesting against all probability that the band release "Mercy," a song that isn't even on the damn album, as the last single.

Suggested B-side? "Mercy." Lead single for the next album? "Mercy." Name of the next album? Mercy.

Jan from Brady Bunch: "MERCY, MERCY, MERCY."

typhoon said:

Jan from Brady Bunch: "MERCY, MERCY, MERCY."

cute...
but the thread's actually titled 'how OOTS will fail', slightly different...maybe that's why.
I think someone suggests mercy as the next single on another oots-is-the-new-single themed thread though actually...

but your post makes me feel like if they really are ready to release a new album soon, a la zooropa following quick on the heels of AB, then Mercy would likely make the thing and might be a great title/ organizing idea. to jump on the mercy, mercy, mercy bandwagon...

cheers!

starvinmarvin said:
Original of the Species is a poor choice for the next U2 single. For one thing, it sounds way too adult contemporary to stand a chance of getting any airplay. However, one of the biggest problems with the song is its title. Nowhere in the song does Bono actually using the words "original of the species." This may seem like a minor point to some, but how are the masses supposed to remember what the song is called? The song doesn't stand a chance.
:yawn:
ziew.gif
ysz.gif

Strings could be used also in another song from HTDAAB - Yahweh.

Why would U2 need two studios to re-record OOTS? This song needs only the keyboard strings replaced with real, deep (maybe with some more melody) strings... the rest (guitars, bass, drums and Bono's vocal ) is perfect.

Now think about Yahweh. If they would want to release a single version closer to the live version they really would need to re-record the song... and as I said above it's the only song that would also need some strings in the background...
(Just imagine official video for this song looking just like the video they're using playing it live... no band, just this animation:drool: )
...not to mention they're playing Yahweh every night, while OOTS had it's debut just few shows ago (I mean after a very long break, + it's now full band)

Ok, I haven't read the whole thread...but I would just like to say that OOTS is indeed a great, great song, and it IS perhaps the most radio-friendly song on the album, although it doesn't contain the title in the lyrics. People will quickly get to know the melody and the chorus which is one of the most brilliant I think U2 have ever written. I guess it will do very well in the UK because it definitely has a Beatles vibe to it that the British people will easily get to love. :wink:

.....And I am very much looking forward to that string arrangement :drool:

It'll make the top 5 here in the UK, and I think it would be the best choice for the final single off the album.

I will laugh if they suprise us all and release A Man And A Woman instead!:wink:

starvinmarvin said:
Yeah, Miracle drug would've been better than All Because of You. As a result, they've wasted another potential hit single in favour of something generic.

Releasing All Because of You as a single was NOT a mistake (at least not in the US). This is because the US market is so fragmented. Vertigo quickly topped the Modern Rock charts (#1 for 4 weeks) and then it dropped off the chart. However, Vertigo was still climbing on the Adult Top 40 chart and was even crossing over to the Mainstream Top 40. If they had released Miracle Drug or Sometimes at that point, it would not have done well on Adult Top 40 or Mainstream Top 40 because Vertigo was still riding high. They also would not have done well on Modern Rock, just because they are not the type of songs Modern Rock likes. What they had to do was release a song that would appeal to the Modern Rock audience just so that format would have a U2 song to play, which was All Because of You. It reached #6 on the chart (moderately successful) and then dropped off. By the time All Because of You dropped off the chart, Vertigo was finally dropping off on Adult Top 40 and Mainstream Top 40. Now all important formats were ready for the next single (Sometimes). Unfortunately, U2's marketing in the US sucks and Sometimes did not do as well as expected. Only reached #29 on Modern Rock (this was expected though, not the right type of song), #15 on Adult Top 40 (should have done better) and never crossed over to Mainstream Top 40.

Basically, their first three choices were perfect but they stopped marketing after Vertigo. But City of Blinding Lights as the fourth single? Awful choice. Great song but does not fit into any of those markets. Should have gone with Miracle Drug as single #4, it would have at least done well on Adult Top 40.

original of the species will probably suceed in the charts. it was designed for that and that's the only purpose of the existence of this song.

Last edited:
I believe OOTS has what it takes to be a hit, but I agree that the title will hurt it. It's a very wierd title for what is essentially a love song. I've always thought "First One" or "I Want You Some More" would have made good titles.

Love and peace would talk as a single - remember what happened to All because of you.

Cassis said:
they'll release vertigo 2 times as single :up:

:laugh: :up:

I think OOTS is a GREAT song (my personal fav from the album)! I'm actually surprised to hear some of you say how "generic" the song sounds, but then go on to praise "Miracle Drug." what the heck, people? Honestly, it's pretty much Beautiful Day Part II. I see "Original..." as a very unconventional song...it's structure is unique and, dare I say, "orignal" :wink: I'm really hoping for the best for it's release and feel something very special about the song. Didn't Edge say it was his favorite from the album (then again, he might've just said that 'cause it was written for his kids)?

If OOTS will be a single... I'm afraid to even start thinking about the video of it :huh: (if it will be something in the type of electrical storm- I will shoot myself)

OOTS (the best song on HTDAAB said by even Bono and The Edge) is perfect for the radio!
As for the song title, yes it IS a minor point. what was that hit called that goes, "time goes by, so slowly, and time can do so much" Had no idea what song i was singing after One at Cardiff :huh:

or one of the greatest songs of all time, "mama, life had just begun, but now i've gone and thrown it all away"

Totally forgot what that one is called! :rolleyes:

Catman said:

Didn't Edge say it was his favorite from the album (then again, he might've just said that 'cause it was written for his kids)?

No, he said it was his favourite U2 song :)

starvinmarvin said:
Original of the Species is a poor choice for the next U2 single. For one thing, it sounds way too adult contemporary to stand a chance of getting any airplay.

Um, it's the Hot AC, Adult Contemporary and Triple A stations where this band gets most of their airplay in the US. So the song fits perfectly for that.........agreed however that it won't make the Billboard 100.

Are U2 gonna release another song off the album? Damn there flogging a dead horse, why not just let the lame duck go and move onto the next album.

U2girl said:
Love and peace would talk as a single - remember what happened to All because of you.

I assume you meant to write 'tank', not 'talk'? If so, I disagree.
I think the market for All Because of You is very, very different to the market for Love and Peace. Very different.

If you meant to write 'talk'... I agree!

Re: Re: Why Original Of The Species Will Fail

Arcadion said:
OOTS (the best song on HTDAAB said by even Bono and The Edge) is perfect for the radio!
As for the song title, yes it IS a minor point. what was that hit called that goes, "time goes by, so slowly, and time can do so much" Had no idea what song i was singing after One at Cardiff :huh:

or one of the greatest songs of all time, "mama, life had just begun, but now i've gone and thrown it all away"

Totally forgot what that one is called! :rolleyes:

:up: Great point. Still can't remember the names of those songs ... :confused:

Zooropean103 said:
If OOTS will be a single... I'm afraid to even start thinking about the video of it :huh: (if it will be something in the type of electrical storm- I will shoot myself)
I had a dream where i was watching the video to OOTS. It was pretty good, I think. All I can remember is Bono and Edge walking around a cathedral or a really regal looking house.
All the colours were creamy, and there were huge open windows with the softest, most luxurious curtains you can imagine blowing wildly. It was beautiful.

It tells you quite a lot if you are prepared to put in a bit of effort and are willing to hear things that don't align with your preconceived views.

OOTS's main theme is about Bono/Edge/Larry's kids, right? I know this probably won't happen, but if that's the theme, then maybe they could let their kids be in the video(or at very least just the older ones), kind of a home-movie-ish thing. Just an idea.

namkcuR said:
OOTS's main theme is about Bono/Edge/Larry's kids, right? I know this probably won't happen, but if that's the theme, then maybe they could let their kids be in the video(or at very least just the older ones), kind of a home-movie-ish thing. Just an idea.

That's what I'm also afraid of. :huh: If they'll do something creative and imaginative (like Megan's dream perhaps) that's OK, but I'm really afraid of electrical storm 2 or something even worse. :huh: Now imagine a video to love and peace or fast cars. :drool:

I'd imagine the video for OOTS something like a simple video. The band playing in the same theatre as SYCMIOYO but ther'd be too a ballet-dancer dancing and spinning in a "Vertigo spiral", and the scenary could be something like a music-box. It'd represent the innocence of the lyrics

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom