Why is "Crumbs" missing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
nickypiemcg said:
i think it will lose alot of its greatness life as it needs 2 guitars and a synth to be done well

That's ok then seeing as U2 always have a keyboard player on stage with them and Bono can play a bit of guitar!!!!!!!!!!!

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but on the DVD accompanying HTDAAB, when they show the studio performance of Crumbs, isn't it just Edge playing guitar and Bono stumming an acoustic? Or is there a backing track as well? I'm not so sure. I'll have to go check it out again. But if it really was just Edge and Bono playing guitar on that performance then they certainly should be able to play Crums live. I even think that performace is better than the album version.

MumblingBono said:
It's a shame, but its time to admit that the band just doesn't like that song. It's a turd on the bottom of Larry's shoe as far as they're concerned.

We'll never hear it live.

:(
i think the band do like, they like it so much that maybe they think the way its sounding now, while they soundcheck, it might just kill it,

just because they dont play a song dosent mean they dont like it, look at acrobat for example, bono said its his fav off achtung

KUEFC09U2 said:
i think the band do like, they like it so much that maybe they think the way its sounding now, while they soundcheck, it might just kill it,

just because they dont play a song dosent mean they dont like it, look at acrobat for example, bono said its his fav off achtung

I just do not get it...Crumbs is such an easy song to play..acrobat timingwise etc can be quit difficult but this song is a fieldday compared to that..strange strange strange.

I think its more of where to put it in the setlist and do we enjoy playing it situation. I dont think they had any problems playing it as in it was to difficult to do live. It may still appear, although its not looking good for the Euro leg at this point. Most likely the third leg and/or maybe the 2006 shows that are probebly going to happen.

Please please please start playing this on the third leg. I'd die happy.

As to the setlist issue, I think the best place for Crumbs at htis moment would be closing the show. The song has such a wonderful openness to it and that soaring climax sort of like Walk On did.

Lancemc said:

As to the setlist issue, I think the best place for Crumbs at htis moment would be closing the show. The song has such a wonderful openness to it and that soaring climax sort of like Walk On did.

You're kidding about the closer bit right? Have you listened to the lyrics. Talk about ending the show on a downer. The only place that this song fits is during the Africa bit. Maybe before Pride or before One.

I agree in that I dont think Crumbs would be a good closer, not so much for the subject matter though. U2 closed a couple shows on this tour with a song about heroine addiction, not exactly uplifting subject matter. But I think Bad has been the best closing song of this tour so far.

The only spot that I think Crumbs would probebly fit AND work well would be replacing Pride in the Africa section. Would fit the theme of that section of the show and I think the transition from the guitar solo at the end of Crumbs to the Streets organ underneath would be good. Bono's journey of equality speech would also fit nicely during that part as well. Problem is they probebly wont drop Pride from this tour.

The difference is a song like Bad is abstract while a song like Crumbs is preachy and can be intrepreted as flinging a guilt trip on the audience.

Somehow, I don't think that's the way U2 would like to end a show.

I don't think that people really take care of the lyrics in Non-English spoken countries, they want to hear Edge's guitar :rockon:

Niceman said:
replacing tired old Pride is the perfect slot for Crumbs.

Every time you hear Pride, you hear it instead of Crumbs...

:wink: Well put. I'm personally sick of hearing Pride at every single concert since friggen 1985 practically. It's time that song be laid to rest.

Guys, if they haven't played it by now.
It's not getting played.
Why would they trek around the globe showing thier wares and not play it?
I don't get it.

Iskra said:
It's not getting played.
I don't get it.

FWIW, U2 debuted quite a few songs on the third leg of the Elevation Tour. It's not impossible to think they'd do that again...

Iskra said:
It's not getting played.
I don't get it.

Why not?
One Tree Hill debuted on the first concert of the 3rd leg of The Joshua Tree tour.
Tomorrow from October was played only twice on the October Tour(4th leg) and then it was played quite a bit on the War Tour.

There are exceptions to rules and I bet Crumbs will be no different. The song has huge live potential. The leaked rehearsal clip sounds great.

Oh, and Neilz, the link is right there...

Last edited:
Iskra said:
It's not getting played.
I don't get it.
because maybe they are planning on changing things up for the 3rd leg? maybe not to drastic but a couple, they will have played both the U,S, and europe

Neilz said:
doesn't work.. the link..
The link is working just fine. You just have to rewrite it. Instead of "ysi" write "y o u s e n d i t".

Just listened to it... Sounds perfect to me... A little too perfect perhaps?

Could it be this is a instrumental version played over the PA?

Neilz said:
Just listened to it... Sounds perfect to me... A little too perfect perhaps?

Could it be this is a instrumental version played over the PA?

no, Larry's drums are really kickin. man, someone really fucked up the drum track on the studio version of this song. he sounds so fucking great live!

and Adam's bass messes up at :29 - :33, so it's not a recording

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom