Setlist Speculation / Hopes / Desires / Fantasies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ok.

anger-annoyed.gif

The sheer size of it might preclude them from doing an opening where it's just the band on the stage starting a song, with the screens blank until the first chorus when they all kick into life. Or maybe there's an intro video (or video montage ending with the "dream it all up again" thing) in a small window above the stage before everything kicks in to life on the whole video wall.

I really hope all of AB songs are full band versions - that's as far as my realistic wishlist goes now.

Intro music - God part II (hard dance mix)
Zoo Station
Even better than the real thing
The Fly
Dirty day
Hold me thrill me kiss me kill me
Acrobat
Last night on earth
Who's gonna ride your wild horses
Babyface*
So cruel
Stay*
------break - what do you want?------
Zooropa
Mofo
Until the end of the world
Daddy's gonna pay for your crashed car
Wake up dead man
------break to b stage - Numb------
Tryin' to throw your arms around the world
Staring at the sun
Mysterious ways
------break - Do you feel loved?-------
Ultra violet
Love is blindness
One

Definitely love this, but I would be shocked if they played Mofo or Last night on earth. I'm extremely skeptical of hearing more than 1 pop song.

With that said, I'm completely on board with retiring Elevation, Vertigo, and even Beautiful Day. I just find them all boring now. Give me some deep cuts man. Give me wire or indian summer sky. Give me more pop. Give me discotheque. How can you not play discotheque at this show? You're in a giant sphere.

ok - here's a stab

1. Zooropa
2. Desire
3. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
--Achtung Baby--
4. Zoo Station
5. Even Better Than The Real Thing
6. One
7. Until The End Of The World
8. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
9. So Cruel
10. The Fly
11. Mysterious Ways
12. Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World
13. Ultra Violet
14. Acrobat
15. Love Is Blindness
----Encore---
16. Elevation
17. Vertigo
18. Walk On (Ukraine)
19. Stay
20. Dirty Day
21. Bullet The Blue Sky
22. Running To Stand Still
23. Where The Streets Have No Name
--Encore 2--
24. With or Without You
25. Can't Help Falling In Love
--end--

I'd be pretty happy with that! Here's my ambitious but still semi-realistic take.

1. Zoo Station
2. The Fly
3. Even Better Than the Real Thing
4. Mysterious Ways
5. So Cruel
6. Until the End of the World
7. New Year’s Day
8. Who’s Going to Ride Your Wild Horses
9. Tryin to Throw Your Arms Around the World
10. Numb
11. Stay (acoustic)
12. Walk On (Ukraine)
13. If God Will Send His Angels (SOS version)
14. Bullet the Blue Sky
15. Love is Blindness
16. Where the Streets Have No Name
17. Beautiful Day
--Encore--
18. Discotheque
19. Vertigo
20. Ultraviolet
21. Acrobat
22. With or Without You
23. One

Bono has threatened Your Song Saved My Life. I hope he has been shouted down.

i know U2songs reported that - but have you seen it actually come from Bono's mouth? or was it filled with a souffle at the time?

I recall it being in context of just wanting to perform it live, not necessarily related to these shows. He kinda did the same spiel for “Rise Above” but it was predicting the moment it really became a hit during the Spidey performances. Bit of a delusional chap at times

- I don't expect them to play the album in the same order as on AB.
-A encore with no Achtung baby songs won't make sense.I know they were no Joshua tree songs in the encore in the 30th anniversary tour,but i believe this show will be handle differently
- Does Macphisto has a place in this show?

I guess MacPhisto showed up for Acrobat last time out, but I don't think they'll play AB in order and I suspect they'll want to stay away from Zoo TV references as this is all about the album.

Closing with Love is Blindness with the constellations on the video walls could work - especially if they update it with the high-res visuals available to us now from other galaxies.

It's been speculated that they could play a new song during this show (like Little Things on JT30), and if they're actually putting out a single this Fall (especially if they put it out opening night), would that guarantee it? Maybe a bit weird with Larry not there, but then why else coincide a release?

Totally agree, though U2 dragging things out to the last second is nothing if not on brand.

A rumor is a rumor. They do take things down to the wire so that aspect is plausible if ridiculous.

One thing that’s interesting though is if they are considering it for the set list, that’s not really something that can be a last minute decision right? Surely they have that fairly locked in at this point, and if the song is being included they must be rehearsing it.

Perhaps the idea of new music so soon is just wishful thinking but it does gel with what many were thinking, that the band wouldn’t want to do a full legacy show. I guess to that end Your Song Saved My Life is possibly more likely for the set list than not, unfortunately.

I mean them still recording a single to coincide with the show is still very believable. Weren’t they literally still deciding on which version of Best Thing to drop the day of the premiere on the BBC?

Working on it most likely means finalising the mix and MAYBE some overdubs/clean ups. I’d expect actually recording to be very much complete or just about.

They could easily have been rehearsing it, and three weeks is a lot of prep for them in the venue. They will have been rehearsing the songs for months and now it’s just putting them into the venue with the stage show and visuals.

The timeline is not unrealistic, the issue is whether this band can knuckle down and agree on this and act fast enough to make it happen.

Yeah, it's usually things like the vocals and the final mix they leave right up to the wire. I'm assuming the song itself is pretty much finished.

I expect the vast majority of the setlist will have been known for quite a while (just the fact its definitely all of AB will have helped) so there's been loads of time for Bram to work with Adam on most of the songs.

I'd love to know how much Bram and his style will influence a few songs in this set. I say a few because we've got AB locked and obviously, Beautiful Day and Vertigo are going nowhere. Any thoughts of a Vertigo break should've been put to rest by one look at the Sphere. I'd also put money on Running to Standstill/Streets being brought back in its full Zoo TV glory.

So that really leaves 7-9 songs up in the air. Assuming they can fit the set even a little bit, if Bram has a favorite or two, I'd say he gets to play it. Here's hoping it's something like Do you feel loved or Hawkmoon!

Other random thoughts:

I'd say early 1980s are out for the most part- First and foremost, they weren't a big part of Zoo TV shows and they don't fit that atmosphere too well. U2 1.0 has also had a decent run the last 3 tours! I expect to see Sunday Bloody Sunday, New Year's Day and I Will Follow. Pick your (semi) staple of those 3 and the other 2 will be sporadic. I don't think anything here is a lock every night.

Somewhat realistic hopes-

Would be great to see Lemon for Zooropa representation. It definitely is less likely than Dirty Day, Stay or the title track but I'd like to think it has a way better shot than Daddy's gonna pay or Babyface. Tough as I truly don't think Zooropa gets more than 2 songs. Possibly even 1.

I'd love Last Night on Earth (Vegas vibes for sure) but for Pop, I could honestly see Please coming back and being ten times the showstopper Acrobat or the Staring at the sun/Pride piece were on E&I. We all know more realistically, we're looking at Staring at the Sun again or Discotheque.

Just a gut feeling, I could see City of Blinding Lights or even Streets opening this set if they decide not to do the RTSS pairing again. Don't think Zoo Station will open, but that doesn't mean I put running back a JT or Vertigo tour opening past them.

Either way, I'm invested in the speculation but nowhere near like I used to be. We'll all know soon enough. My focus is on being thankful I'm going to see this, and on the fact that we have one, MAYBE two more go arounds for U2 as we know it after this!

That's 7 years, 2030, when they'll be entering their 70s. We could be looking at U2 for another decade plus from there, of course. We could get lucky. However, we'd be insane to think it will continue at this level past 2028-2030.

Last edited:
With that said, I'm completely on board with retiring Elevation, Vertigo, and even Beautiful Day. I just find them all boring now. Give me some deep cuts man. Give me wire or indian summer sky. Give me more pop. Give me discotheque. How can you not play discotheque at this show? You're in a giant sphere.

Just popping in bc Atomic City dropped and I like it, but - I must say that the quoted post is the best summation of my entire ~17 years at Interference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom