Why doesn't any young people I know like U2, but like other, similar bands?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jarvio

War Child
I've noticed latley, that none of my friends are huge U2 fans. And the scary thing is, these people I would consider to have great taste in music... but they just don't like U2.

Although some of my friends like U2, they are not mad on them.

One of my friends thinks they are not consistent enough, but still enjoys their music and has quite a few of their albums downloaded.

Another friend of mine likes them, but only their early stuff, and thinks their later stuff is not so good.

Another friend dislikes them, purely because of Bono.

Another friend kind of likes them, but wouldn't consider them one of the best.

Another friend is not so keen on them, but she likes the odd song by them, but still fails to give a reason why she doesn't like them on a whole, even though on a whole she likes lots of other bands I like.

Another friend is kind of indifferent to them, has the 'best of' CD's, and likes the odd song, but not the band on a whole.

My girlfriend enjoys some of their music, but finds them a little boring, and 'poppy'. I don't think they're poppy, but she does.

I know everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but I just don't get it - even the people with good music taste are not big fans of U2. Fans of bands like Coldplay, The Killers, Stereophonics etc are not that big on U2, and I don't understand, because U2 is kind of in the same genre as those bands IMO. Some people may think U2 aren't as popular with younger fans because the band is so 'old', but if that is the case, then why does my girlfriend like Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, but not so much U2? Why does another friend really like R.E.M., but not U2? I can only think of 2 other people I know that are true U2 fans, and I know alot of people, lol.

I don't know, it's weird. I've noticed that too - even the people I think of as having good taste in music don't like U2 :shrug: I guess in some ways U2 is a very unhip band, though I'm not quite sure why. I guess because they're not "underground" or "indie" or "alternative" or anything like, say, Radiohead, and they're not quite as old as bands like Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd so they're not "classic" yet (even though their songs are played on classic rock radio stations and I'm sure many here would argue that they are already classic, yet most 'classic' bands aren't doing much new), and they're not new and hip like Coldplay and The Killers... perhaps the fact that U2 defies all labels and categories puts some people off.

Unfortunatley I think Bono influences some people's views on the band negatively as well, but you know what? Who cares, it's their loss, sorry that Bono is doing good in the world and all.

What AtomicBono said - it's their loss. I personally couldn't give a damn if other people don't like U2, whatever their reasons for not liking them. Most of the people I know are indie arses who give weak little smiles whenever I mention U2 in conversations. But hey, that's just them. It's just not "cool" to like U2, it seems.

AtomicBono said:
I guess because they're not "underground" or "indie" or "alternative" or anything like, say, Radiohead

I actually think they are indie in some cases... well I don't know, but if they aren't indie, then what are they? Soft rock?

Is it seen as 'uncool' to like any other bands, or is it just U2?

I don't think there should be a litmus test for if you like A than you must like B. To each there own, and who gives a shit.

I'm NOT a Beatles maniac, but I like plenty of bands that were influenced by them. Who cares?! :shrug: People like what they're gonna like, and you're right, U2 is not a hip band right now. If they were making weirder and more difficult music like Radiohead does, perhaps they would be, but U2 is very earnest, very heartfelt and also a stadium act, and that just doesn't play well with lots of people.

Like others, I couldn't give a crap if people like U2 or not. How others feel or don't feel about U2 has no influence on me whatsoever, I'm just not that overly sensitive.

I know plenty of people who love Jeff Buckley but have no idea who Leonard Cohen is, and for those that do, they just fall asleep. It's no big deal, and it doesn't and shouldn't cheapen someone else's opinion. Now, if someone wants to say they loooove Whitesnake still but hate U2, than well, no prayers there, mate.

Young people don't always like music made by much older people. They like the types of music that are current, or speak to how they feel right now. Hence, the rise in popularity of bands like Linkin Park and My Chemical Romance. Just b/c people like those bands and don't like U2 doesn't mean they suck and have no taste, it is subjective and again, who gives a shit.

People who are elitist and are overly rude about their damning opinions make me ill. There is no wrong answer here.

Also, "young people" i.e., people in middle and high school grades don't always have the broadest knowledge of music and music history. Again, doesn't mean they suck, it's just the way it is. They know what they know, and one day they'll know more.

Last edited:
I ask this question a lot to myself, and I've come to one conclusion

no one gives a fuck :happy:

U2 is kind of an obvious band, aren't they? People like the art of discovering bands, and U2 has been discovered. Groups like Keane, the Killers, Franz Ferdinand, etc are sort of up and coming, and if you like them, it means you're cool 'cause you took the time to find them.

My $.02

With those bands, though, the time that takes to find them is simply the seconds it takes to turn the TV onto the local music channel. I am not at all impressed with new indie bands, personally, and I see no reason to boast about them, just to make you look more musically elite, so to speak.

And I don't give a fuck, as long as there's at least one other person I can go to a concert with, I'm happy. :)

The reason why most people hate U2 is because their music sucks. Bono can't sing for shit. Their music is weird.
That's the general feeling. But I love them. I can see why most people hate U2. They're not cool or not "pop" enough, and their music is weird. But I was never in the hip crowd anyway, so who cares.
How can anybody not like Pride, Beautiful Day, One, ect.?

This really bothers me....I'm 16 and a lot of my friends just outright refuse to listen to U2 because they're "old". Clearly, age does not matter if you can still keep one of the largest amounts of fans out there. Most of my friends will only listen to newer bands --- aka, Coldplay, The Killers that kind of stuff, even though they all have U2 influences. It really doesn't make any sense to me, I feel like their missing out on so much by only listening to new music.

But oh yeah, a lot of them also think Bono is too outspoken and/or that he is a pervert because he still brings women to dance with him onstage when he is 45 years old. :huh: I don't see any problem with that.

But.......what are you gonna do, its their fault that they're missing out.

I'm actually surprised that U2 has such a huge fanbase worldwide, because most of the people I've met thru high school, college and work are not great fans of this band. I know friends who like hip hop & techno, friends who like pop/teen pop, people who like nu-metal or those who just like rock music with blazing guitars and big solos.. GNR, Metallica, Nirvana, whatever.

I get the feeling it's because U2 have experimented so much thru their career and tried so many different styles that people who're simply trying to cling on to a fad like big guitar oriented rock, or 80s revival, or nu-metal etc. don't find anything specific to latch on to when they listen to U2. They're not exactly pop but they're not exactly rock either... So :wink:

i think that's probably a big part of it, the fact that u2 is a band that isn't easily categorized. i believe it's a sign of strength, that a band this successful with such a broad fanbase in terms of location and age, can have songs all over the spectrum, from numb to mofo to streets to everything else. it doesn't always work (although even that's a relative concept), and not everyone always likes them, but that's part of it. they take risks. whereas many artists stick to what they know people like, and a lot of their songs sound the same, when people no longer like that specific sound, what'll happen to those artists? u2 has made it, and will make it, because they can evolve, and although the downside is that they lose the fans who are intent on bands sticking to one thing, i think the good outweighs the bad in this case.

I know a lot of people that love U2 and then there are the people who "respect" them and think of them as really good for old guys.

Windmilllane said:
The reason why most people hate U2 is because their music sucks. Bono can't sing for shit. Their music is weird.
That's the general feeling.

Are you serious about this? Bono is one of the finest singers music as seen. He has a tremendous technical voice. Any U2 show I've ever seen, I am always blown away by the power of Bono's voice.

I have only become a huge U2 in the last year with the new record. Since then I have got my brother, my cousin, my other cousin, my other cousin, my friend, and my other friend all hooked on U2. I was never really that aware of them until the new record came out. The only other people I know of that have ever mentioned U2 are a person at my school who likes them, and one who ownes the new CD. He likes it but thinks it to be a little too Christian (which doesn't make sense to me).

I think that when young people are exposed to U2's music, they actually do like it. Also, it is hard for any rock band to get exposure these days when all the radio stations play pop and hip/hop.

I have never met a person who has told me they don't like U2, but some of the only people I have heard say they love U2 are the ones that I got hooked on U2.

A lot of my friends have great taste but they don't like U2 either...But it doesn't really matter if they might not see their ultimate greatness...I DO!
U2 does have a very large fanbase I am always so amazed at that ...I'm glad that I'm part of it
It would be nice if more people my age were into them but I'm going to love them regardless...It doesn't make me think less of them or their tastes, its just the way it is
Many people that I know are into the "indie" scene ,that is popular right now
I agree that it might be an age thing

I'm 16 as well and I get a lot of different attitudes about U2. Most of my friends are subjected to my many rants about the band, and they have to listen to U2 in my car, so they've gotten used to it and don't make fun of me, but aren't big fans either. There is this one guy at school, a "music elitist" if you will, who has told me on many occasions that he thinks it would be funny if Bono would hang himself on stage in protest to something. My response is always, "Go fuck yourself!" And then I walk away because he's not worth it. I could care less if people my age like U2 or not, but if they don't, they don't need to say stupid shit like that. It probably doesn't help that I live in a town of 5,000 where most people's idea of fun is getting drunk and high, going hunting(not to diss hunting, but it's not my thing), or just being jackasses in general. Anyway, I'm going to stop because I think I'm just getting more angry and ranting more and more.

onebloodonelife said:
It probably doesn't help that I live in a town of 5,000 where most people's idea of fun is getting drunk and high, going hunting(not to diss hunting, but it's not my thing), or just being jackasses in general.

:lol:

Are you sure that we didn't go to the same high school?

GibsonGirl said:

:lol:

Are you sure that we didn't go to the same high school?

What really gets to me about my school is that the people who are considered "popular" and "good" are the ones who are smoking pot and getting drunk every single weekend! They're the people who are on National Honor Society, for godsakes! How the hell that happens is beyond me, but over half of the people in National Honor Society are high and drunk all the time! Damn the small school.:|

98% of young people don't give a shit about what U2 is about. Actually 98% of young people have no idea of what is going on in the world so U2 doesn't really appeal to them.

What really gets to me about my school is that the people who are considered "popular" and "good" are the ones who are smoking pot and getting drunk every single weekend! They're the people who are on National Honor Society, for godsakes! How the hell that happens is beyond me, but over half of the people in National Honor Society are high and drunk all the time! Damn the small school.:| [/B][/QUOTE]

Work hard, play hard!!!

onebloodonelife said:

What really gets to me about my school is that the people who are considered "popular" and "good" are the ones who are smoking pot and getting drunk every single weekend! They're the people who are on National Honor Society, for godsakes! How the hell that happens is beyond me, but over half of the people in National Honor Society are high and drunk all the time! Damn the small school.:|

Again, I think we must have gone to the same school. :) I'm so glad that high school is behind me. The "popular" crowd was terrible. In order to be popular at my school, you had to spend copious amounts of time primping yourself up in front of the mirror, and you had to have a "wicked good time" on the weekend with all the other pretty people. Having a "wicked good time" entailed drinking until you were puking, having sex with anything that moved and smoking a ridiculous amount of joints. All while listening to the latest shitty rap single. The concept of enjoying yourself without the use of mind-altering substances was virtually unheard of.

Small town high schools are awful.

GibsonGirl said:

Again, I think we must have gone to the same school. :) I'm so glad that high school is behind me. The "popular" crowd was terrible. In order to be popular at my school, you had to spend copious amounts of time primping yourself up in front of the mirror, and you had to have a "wicked good time" on the weekend with all the other pretty people. Having a "wicked good time" entailed drinking until you were puking, having sex with anything that moved and smoking a ridiculous amount of joints. All while listening to the latest shitty rap single. The concept of enjoying yourself without the use of mind-altering substances was virtually unheard of.

Small town high schools are awful.

:yes:

I'm so happy that I've only got a year and a half until I'm out of there...:dancing:

When I was in highchool, 3-4 years ago, ATYCLB was HUGE, and people liked them, many respected them, a few were just into different music so didn't like them at all!

In University now, I'm 20, and I have seen more u2 shirts in the hall than any other band. About equal with Led Zepplin!

I showed a bit of popmart to show how u2 was using the popMART name, the ideal body muscle shirts, and Excessively large video screen as a critic of consumerism and capatalism.

2 people in that class had SEEN U2 on the Popmart tour, 4-5 others knewo what the popmart tour was and recognized U2 in those outfits, etc.. an a bunch others liked/respected U2, etc..

..out of like 18 people!!! (it was a seminar, loL!)

I was quite impressed, I didn't think anyone would recognize this point in U2 history, much less have been to a concert, or like the band! And the age would have been between 19-23!!!!!!!

I thyink university and college students are in a better frame of mind to understand U2's world view and artictic vision, and highschool students that can do this as well and likely more mature and ahead of the frivolties of high school!

Just my opinion, I mean, i think it just comes with age, experience, and knowledge!! Don't mean to offend or condescend everyone!

thanx!

joerags said:
I was also in the National Honor Society, but I was a nerd. I did volunteer work on Saturday mornings.

I have never had sex or did drugs in my life.

:nerd:

:reject:

:hug: I think my school just has a twisted view of who should be in National Honor Society :shrug:

gherman said:

Work hard, play hard!!! [/B][/QUOTE]

You do realize that you are passing judgement on those of us who qualify and relate to your post above?

So what if the "good" and "popular" kids are also able to get fabulous grades and get FUBAR on the weekends? What does that have to do with you? Maybe they just want to party and blow off steam. I was high and drunk all through high school but I managed a 3.8 GPA the whole way and I'm doing just fine in my life today.

Being "good" and "popular" in the NHS doesn't mean you can't get zonked ever, especially on the weekends. These things are not relegated to select groups of people. So what if these kids get fucked up? Getting fucked up like regular teenagers doesn't make you a bad person. That they are able to work hard and play hard is a good thing. I was able to do it, just like many of us here.

Last edited:
HelloAngel said:

You do realize that you are passing judgement on those of us who qualify and relate to your post above?

So what if the "good" and "popular" kids are also able to get fabulous grades and get FUBAR on the weekends? What does that have to do with you? Maybe they just want to party and blow off steam. I was high and drunk all through high school but I managed a 3.8 GPA the whole way and I'm doing just fine in my life today.

Being "good" and "popular" in the NHS doesn't mean you can't get zonked ever, especially on the weekends. These things are not relegated to select groups of people. So what if these kids get fucked up? Getting fucked up like regular teenagers doesn't make you a bad person. That they are able to work hard and study hard is a good thing. I was able to do it, just like many of us here.

I apologize, I should have clarified more about the people that I'm talking about. These specific people are people who do all the things that I mentioned in my post, but get good grades by copying and cheating their way through school. I also wasn't necessarily saying that going and getting drunk and high is a bad thing, because I do smoke every once in awhile too. I'm sorry if I offended you or anyone else, but that's the way that I feel about my school and the people that are seen as "good" and "popular."

Back
Top Bottom