Who's rapping in the background on Cedars of Lebanon ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
Love the song, it's a great closer...but who is that ? It doesn't sound like Bono or Edge or Eno and Lanois, the officially credited singers.

Is it Will.I.Am ?

First of all, what the hell is being sung on the background?

Haha I asked this the second it leaked. No one answered me :sad:

Oh wait, someone said it was probably some Moroccan guy from the street. :lol:

Is it not "Juju brought oranges"? It sounds a little like Will.i.am to me. If not, I'd definitely say its a black man's voice

The voice is saying "get your brother out" and some of the synth sounds are supposed to sound like a helicopter. So my take on it is that it's a war scene, and they're referring to trying to rescue a downed soldier. It's very haunting.

Is this the song where they've sampled Harold Budd (someone Eno and Lanois produced in the 80s), or was it another one? Can't remember now.

The voice is saying "get your brother out" and some of the synth sounds are supposed to sound like a helicopter. So my take on it is that it's a war scene, and they're referring to trying to rescue a downed soldier. It's very haunting.

Is this the song where they've sampled Harold Budd (someone Eno and Lanois produced in the 80s), or was it another one? Can't remember now.

Man, I just listed to that part again. I cant really hear "get your brother out". Are you sure thats what it is? I really have no idea. All this time i thought it was a sample that kept saying "Juju brought oranges" over and over, but the sample would be repeated before getting to the end of 'oranges'. I realize that doesnt make a whole lot of sense. Listening to it closer now, it sounds like "Juju broke out".....I dunno. Anyone else wanna have a crack at it?

Man, I just listed to that part again. I cant really hear "get your brother out". Are you sure thats what it is? I really have no idea. All this time i thought it was a sample that kept saying "Juju brought oranges" over and over, but the sample would be repeated before getting to the end of 'oranges'. I realize that doesnt make a whole lot of sense. Listening to it closer now, it sounds like "Juju broke out".....I dunno. Anyone else wanna have a crack at it?

That's what I hear, and I also read other people around here say so. Before I read it, I had no idea (I've not listened on headphones yet), but as soon as I listened with that line in mind, I knew they were right. It's said it a really clipped tone, with emphasis on each syllable: "Get - Your - Bro - ther- Out - Get - Your - Bro - ther - Out"

That's what I hear, and I also read other people around here say so. Before I read it, I had no idea (I've not listened on headphones yet), but as soon as I listened with that line in mind, I knew they were right. It's said it a really clipped tone, with emphasis on each syllable: "Get - Your - Bro - ther- Out - Get - Your - Bro - ther - Out"

okay cool :up: I shall listen again

Haha I asked this the second it leaked. :lol:

I remember that. I think it was followed by a 'lol'. for some reason its one of the posts from the first 12 hours excitement/thread craziness that have stuck in my head

Yeah I agree I thought it was some kind of broken English like "did you brought orange" or something close to that

Okay, I just listened to it like 80,000 times on headphones, and I admit that it doesn't sound as clear cut as I thought it did through my stereo speakers. :huh: But I certainly don't hear anything about "soldiers" or "oranges."

First of all, I can hear it more clearly the first time it's on the song, at 2:20. And where I said before that the word "brother" is two distinct syllables, I don't think it is, now. I think if he's saying "brother" it's more like "BROther," where he's saying it fast, almost like one syllable, and for the "ther" part of the word, his voice sort of fades.

So what I'm hearing at 2:20 is "...out, get your brother out, get your brother out..."

Or maybe he's saying "get your bro out?"

Anyone else hearing this? This is bugging me... :huh:

I have cranked it on headphones over and over. I swear I hear "get your butt out" so the only thing I can't tell is if it is "bro" "brother" or "butt." I think it is pretty clear that it is "get your ____ out" over and over.

In reference to the song itself, a war reporter in Lebanon who doesn't want to go home, I think it is a plea to "get his butt" the hell out of there. I can't help but visualize when the States pulled out and the chaos around that period. I am probably off on these thoughts, but this is how I feel.

I think it is pretty clear that it is "get your ____ out" over and over.

I agree, those words are the clearest.

"Butt" just seems to me like an odd word for them to be using. It's slang for "ass," obviously, something someone would say so that they're not swearing; a mild sort of a word. I just can't see them using it, given the gravity of the song.

So, I'm carrying on with my opinion that it's "bro" or "brother." :)

You might be right VintagePunk. I think either way, the rap part is expressing the urgency that someone has to get out of Lebanon immediately. Which is kind of ironic, since the war reporter sounds more at peace there than at home. What a fantasitic closer! I want more of this from U2.

I'm sure Brian Eno just carries around several 1TB hard drives of Brian Eno samples for his solo projects, so he got it from there.

You might be right VintagePunk. I think either way, the rap part is expressing the urgency that someone has to get out of Lebanon immediately. Which is kind of ironic, since the war reporter sounds more at peace there than at home. What a fantasitic closer! I want more of this from U2.

I agree, it's amazing, isn't it? One of my favourites right from the start.

I'm sure Brian Eno just carries around several 1TB hard drives of Brian Eno samples for his solo projects, so he got it from there.

Yeah, that's why I asked earlier about the Harold Budd thing. Someone mentioned that one of his samples was used in a song on the album, and I think it was this one, but I can't remember for sure. And wading through this forum from the past several weeks to find it is a task I'm not sure I'm up to. :lol:

Search is an amazing feature. :reject:

I was right.

* "Cedars of Lebanon" includes a sample of the recording "Against The Sky" performed by Harold Budd and Brian Eno from the album "The Pearl" (Virgin/EMI 1984 - ENOCD13). Licensed courtesy of Virgin Records Limited.

The composition "Cedars of Lebanon" contains elements from "Against the Sky" written Harold Budd and Brian Eno and published by Universal Songs of Polygram International Inc / Toyon Music / Opal Music London. Used by permission. All rights reserved.

I don't think that's the "rap" part we're talking about, though.

Hmmmm...I don't see where people are getting "Get your brother out" or "soldier brings oranges".

Sounds like he's saying "I will kick your butt" (And it sounds very clear too me, so I'm not sure why there's so much uncertainty here over what the guy in the background of Cedars is saying. Certainly doesn't sound remotely close to anything about oranges or a brother!)

Jut to be clear, we are talking about the guy in the background who first breaks in at about 2:20, and then reappears seeveral times after that?

Still clearly sounds like "I will kick your butt" to me. Certainly not distorted Bono saying a soldier brought oranges!

Back
Top Bottom