who's better live....U2 or Pearl Jam??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

earthshell

The Fly
Alright, now I know this is a U2 forum, however... I am currently listening to Pearl Jam's show in Montreal last week and it is AMAZING. I beleive this is the show where Eddie Vedder snippes Bad during Daugher (I could be wrong). Listening to the show, it seems that there is a fairly long guitar solo in every single song and each track is well over 5 minutes. I mean they play a lot more songs live than u2. I beleive this particular show is 29 songs. now why can't u2 do that? Don't get me wrong U2 is my favorite band and they have been lights out on this tour. U2 wiill always be my favorite band but Pearl Jam is getting up there.

So what do you think? Pearl Jam or U2....who puts on a better show?

earthshell said:
Listening to the show, it seems that there is a fairly long guitar solo in every single song and each track is well over 5 minutes. I mean they play a lot more songs live than u2. I beleive this particular show is 29 songs.

I've seen both bands several times each. Both a very different experience. Both great live bands, both have had their off nights and their on nights.

But this solo shit, and length of song and amount of songs don't really amount to anything. A good show is a good show.

U2 is great.

Pearl Jam is great as well, just more interesting, more songs, more chance of surprise.

Kudos to U2 for trying to mix it up lately, overall U2 and most bands would take a backseat to PJ in this regard.

Eh.....I love em both.

U2DMfan said:
U2 is great.

Pearl Jam is great as well, just more interesting, more songs, more chance of surprise.

Kudos to U2 for trying to mix it up lately, overall U2 and most bands would take a backseat to PJ in this regard.

Eh.....I love em both.

But, if you didn't have the internet and knew what previous setlists were...what would you say?

Pearl Jam sucks shit, get the hell out of here with that crap, how dare you compare the two bands.

Another Day said:
Pearl Jam sucks shit, get the hell out of here with that crap, how dare you compare the two bands.

Yeah, OK...PJ is one of the few current bands that DOESN'T suck (along with U2 of course).

PJ puts on a better show IMO, though I like U2 better as a band. Remember, PJ is much younger than U2, let's see if in 10-15 years they're still putting on the same high-quality shows.

CTU2fan said:

Yeah, OK...PJ is one of the few current bands that DOESN'T suck (along with U2 of course).

PJ puts on a better show IMO, though I like U2 better as a band. Remember, PJ is much younger than U2, let's see if in 10-15 years they're still putting on the same high-quality shows.

They are both incredible. Musically, I think Pearl Jam may be better players. Anyone who has ever seen them can attest to their frantic energy and ability to mix it up on a dime. Plus, you've got Eddie's voice, which is an amazing mix of toughness and vulnerability.

U2, on the other hand, have this indescribable sense of purpose, and songs that uncannily capture moments in the world, things that we're all feeling at the same time. Also, I think U2 are actually getting better musically with each passing album, which is interesting, having been around for a while. I don't know if the same can be said of Pearl Jam.

I'm seeing PJ twice this weekend in St. John's:drool: :drool: This is after seeing U2 last week...pretty amazing! With all of my respect for Pearl Jam, however, U2 are still my #1....they've got that sense of magic and mystery that keeps me coming back.

CTU2fan said:

PJ is much younger than U2, let's see if in 10-15 years they're still putting on the same high-quality shows.

The members of both band are roughly the same age, from what I've read.

Yeah they are only 5-6 years younger in age but as a band they formed in 1990 so band wise they're still 10+ years younger, i dont doubt at all that in 10 years they, Pearl Jam, will still be around.

There both great, U2 is much more polished while PJ is moe raw, rough & unpredictable. The thing that bothers me about PJ is all the band members are involved in other musical projects and their studio material has suffered because of it IMO.

U2 is better.

I saw PJ (They where VERY good) in their glory back a few years back, but nothing compares to U2 concert.

Pearl Jam has better setlists and is more spontaneous. And they have great fans, and an awesome way of rewarding them with the bootlegs.

But U2 is magical, and that's something that's missing from PJ to me. They are technically proficient, put on great live shows, but the magic and epic glory of U2 isn't there. As a live experience, U2 is hands down better, IMO.

anitram said:

But U2 is magical, and that's something that's missing from PJ to me. They are technically proficient, put on great live shows, but the magic and epic glory of U2 isn't there. As a live experience, U2 is hands down better, IMO.

:up:
said it much better than I could.

I am a big Pearl Jam fan, and I just think there is a big seperation between U2 and anyone right now.

For what its worth Wilco to me, is the closet second the U2 right now.

I just thought I'd post a little note on the PJ concert last night in Newfoundland...it was amazingly intense and wonderful...:drool: :drool:

The band kept its recent synergy going with U2, and used Bad as the tag in "Daughter"...pretty amazing to hear Eddie sing "If I could, you know I would, if I could,I would," blend it with "hey ho - let it go," then go into "W.M.A."

Ed talked also talked about how incredible it is that Newfoundland is closer to Ireland than New York

They play again here tonight...stay tuned for further u2 (or Irleland:wink: ) mentions.

Last edited:
I would say they are equal. Pearl Jam will mix it up more with obscure songs and then the next night, the set list will be completly different.

As already said though, U2 shows have that magical element.

One bonus point for Pearl Jam though, as a fan club member I have never been farther from the stage than row 2. And now, whatever concert I go to I can get a high quality recording of it the next day through the bands website. So, I guess big props to Pearl Jam for that.

JM

jmosher said:
I would say they are equal. Pearl Jam will mix it up more with obscure songs and then the next night, the set list will be completly different.

As already said though, U2 shows have that magical element.

One bonus point for Pearl Jam though, as a fan club member I have never been farther from the stage than row 2. And now, whatever concert I go to I can get a high quality recording of it the next day through the bands website. So, I guess big props to Pearl Jam for that.

JM

Exactly...PJ's setlist tonight, for example, should be much different from last night's...hence my motivation for attending both shows.

Also, the fan club system is great. I've only gone to 2 shows, but I've never been farther back than row 5 (last night). The upside of this is not having to line-up at all like the U2 GA section.

The downside of being so close last night (following on the heels of a very loud, in-the-ellipse U2 show just over a week ago where my hearing was jarred for days afterward) was having to wear earplugs last night. :reject:

They were flesh-coloured, so my geekyness was at least partially hidden:wink:

Besides great versions of Black, I dont get goosebumps at Pearl Jam shows where at U2 I always get them. Pearl Jams stage is super minimal (the lights during "you are" are about as crazy as they get) where u2's stage is super extravagant. On the other hand Pearl Jam doesnt need super crazy lights bc they are already so kick ass. Anyhow both are supurb shows and I wouldnt dare pick between the two, they are two of the best bands out there.

Yes, but the PJ fan club seats are determined on seniority, which kind of sucks for younger fans.

My best friend has been a member for years, maybe 6 or 7, and she's never been closer than 15th row (and that's on the side, not even on the floor). So it doesn't necessarily mean you'll be up front.

For me, I suppose there is no "this one is better." They both do different things. I personally think that a band is either "world class" or not. Pearl Jam and U2 both fit in this category. Also with Coldplay. :wink:

There are thousands of bands that can't compare to them at all...but to compare these two, to me, is apples and oranges.

Hmmmm...... my screen name says it all doesn't it? :giggle:

I love both bands. I do. However, Pearl Jam is my favorite of the two.

I LOVE :heart:Pearl Jam:heart: LIVE. Unlike U2 they do not need the "Flashy" stage and fancy screens/lights.. they can just go out there and play their hears out!!

I also like how Pearl Jam shows are UNPREDICTABLE, unlike U2. Whenever I go to a U2 show more than once, I kinda know what is going to happen next.. it gets too predictable after a while. However, with Pearl Jam you just never know!

Pearl Jam always gives me goosebumps and they make me want to get up and dance/sing like a possed maniac :rockon:.. something I don't get with U2.. Oh I will be singing but I don't get that "feeling" I get with Pearl Jam.

Plus, I preffer McCready's guitar playing over Edge anyday. When Mike McCready goes into a guitar solo.. WOW, he does circles around Edge's guitar playing! (I know I will get hated over this by U2 fans but oh well :uhoh: )

Also the fact that Eddie cracks me up in every show I go! I swear that man is a comedian!! :) Plus he's :drool: :cute: !!

Don't get me wrong I still :heart: U2 very much, but my love goes to PJ first!!

Now, go and ask this at the Pearl Jam board? :wink:

Last edited:
Depends on the MOMENT and the SONG...
Black vs Elevation = Pearl Jam wins
Bad vs some shitty PJ song = U2 wins
Jeremy vs ABOY = Pearl Jam wins
etc etc etc etc etc etc

I was just thinking about this the other day. While PJ is one of the best bands ever, and I really like almost everything they do, they do not make my top ten bands list for the only reason that I cannot connect to them the way some other bands do. It's hard to explain, all I can say is I feel something listening to U2, not PJ, but they are an amazing band!

My favourite band against my 2nd favourite band.
My favourite live band against my 2nd favourite live band.

The favourite wins of course. U2. :)

i think both bands are very good live, maybe U2 are much more histrionic and this can make their concerts better than the pj ones, but under the aspect of music maybe pearl jam are a little bit better than U2, the reasons are:
1) They play more songs
2)They do different setlists
3) They play a different genre with harder rhythms as U2 and much more better solos
4) Eddie didn't lost his usual ever voice, bono did (just 4 years difference between the twos)
Imagine if pj would have (or want) the same resonance of U2.........They would be quite unbeatable for everyone!

Back
Top Bottom