Who will support U2 at Twickenham?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

achtung y'all

The Fly
I've been thinking of the possibilities of the support act at Twickenham. We know Snow Patrol and The Killers are unlikely as they have been confirmed at other venues, so who do you think it will be? Possible bands:

Razorlight
Maroon 5
Stereophonics
Keane
Scissor Sisters
Coldplay
Oasis
or someone else (please name)

Who do you think are likely for the job?

I cant see Razorlight supporting U2 but stranger things have happened. I'll be suprised if Scissor Sisters don't play support sometime during the tour and their doing the festival circuit this year which makes it more likely they'll be available for the london dates.

U2 would never hire Maroon 5 - but then again, they did bring Third Eye Blind and SmashMouth on tour during PopMart.. so who knows. It seems they're going for a "cool" factor this year with buzz bands.

During Popmart in 97 when U2 last played a stadium in London, they had Audioweb and Longpigs as support. So a smaller band as support is possible although I'd like to think they'd have a heavyweight support act.

rule out coldplay and oasis for a UK support act! they can play twickenham themselves! also rule out stereophonics again they have played millenium stadium etc in the UK so they are too big for a UK support act but might do some other europe dates. Marron 5 no chance! that leaves sissor sisters, razorlight, keane one of these 3 is most likely!

maybe add franz ferdinand as a possibilty, kasabian might be another possibility

When do you think they will announce it? First I thought we would have Snow Patrol, which really pleased me, now I find out it's not them, so I am impatient to know who - it had better be good!
What would make me happy? Stereophonics, or Keane. Scisssor Sisters OK, but not as happy as Snow Patrol would have made me!
ark

i'm agreeing about coldplay and oasis being too huge (pity). i reckon it will be one of these new acts thats exploded out of the scene this year.
going on the snow patrol/kilers basis i reckon it'll either be keane, maybe scissor sisters (god i hope not) or maybe someone like franz ferdinand etc. if i were to put money on it though i think i would guess razorlight. adams a fan and i've seen them live - that Johnny guy has a LOAD of evergy!!! they're really good.
anyone here know the zutons - thats a pretty good album and a not bad live act either

Wow - some pretty quality potential support acts suggested above, most of which I'd be delighted to see!

A few more...

- Athlete
- the Frames - I know most of you haven't heard of them, or at least their music but trust me on this: they are awesome and a MASSIVE band in Ireland. Please check them out!
- The Zutons - quirky but quality band!
- Feeder
- Doves
- Bloc Party - By June, I reckon these guys will be all the rage.

Franz Ferdinand, Scissor Sisters or Keane! Would be amazing - and I would imagine its pretty likely to be one of these.

I would be gutted if Franz played London but not Manchester/Dublin. I saw them in October and they are a great band!

Anyway pretty sure it won't be Feeder and The Zutons cos they are supporting R.E.M. at pretty much the same time.

since Oasis haven' t announced a london date, they should team up with u2 for twickenham on june 18 & 19.

Come on LIam & Noel, y'know it makes sense !!!

Well so its NOT Killers, Snow Patrol or Keane for Twickenham.

All "brits" nominees. On that basis, we have Muse (surely not?)Scissor Sisters and Franz Ferdinand as well. Can they afford SS - if they charge the reported £1M they are reputedly getting for V.
My guess would be FF, but why havent they announced it yet?
ark

if it was Muse, I'll be off to visit a scalper for that alone. Can't see that though.

Franz Ferdinand seems the most logical, trend-following guess.

are there any festivals or events happening that weekend that would prevent certain bands being able to?

Kings of Leon are touring the UK in June, although they have a gig on one of U2's Twickenham dates - a possible for some of the shows?

A long shot and perhaps unlikely, but Coldplay will be in London and playing Crystal Palace the following week so................?!

I cant see Coldplay supporting U2, given that they are headlining their own concert of comparable size so soon after.

U2 seem to have chosed new (or new to success) bands. I dont see many more of the "new" "indie" type bands who are "big" enough, of a similar popularity stature to Snow Patrol, Keane and Franz Ferdinand. All the others mentioned are still more lightweight.
So, I think the next most likely is Scissor Sisters, bit it's all conjecture
ark

Back
Top Bottom