Which one is U2's signature song?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

quantumrr

Babyface
On another board (not U2) we're having a discussion about artists' signature songs for live shows, and there is much disagreement about U2's.

The ones being mentioned are:

Where The Streets...
Pride
New Year's Day
Sunday, Bloody Sunday
I Still Haven't Found....

Which one is it?

We're talking about a song that is to them like Satisfaction is to the Stones, Rolling Stone is to Dylan, Born To Run is to Springsteen, etc.

Played at every show. Long-time fans are probably a little sick of it, but it just wouldn't seem right if they didn't play it.

What say you?

Streets. Period. End of story.
Show stopper every time.

This. Seriously, nothing else even comes close. Streets was a song that was born to be played live. Has there ever been a U2 concert where this song hasn't been played (after the JT era)?

People haven't really mentioned Beautiful Day here.

Before you scoff, it is the song that resurrected them and gave them 10 years of momentum to continue. It opened millions more into the U2 world, and I would call it one of 3 or 4 defining songs in their careers.

I would say in popular opinion (to be consistent with the OP definition) it would be
With or Without You
One
Beautiful Day

If we are talking landmarks in their career and what songs did for them you could expend the definition to include SBS, Pride, and Streets

I'm really surprised there's any answer but Streets, here. The only issue would be that the OP said many of the hardcores would be sick of it, and that's definitely not the case with Streets.

I'm really surprised there's any answer but Streets, here. The only issue would be that the OP said many of the hardcores would be sick of it, and that's definitely not the case with Streets.

I definately think it is streets for fans. But I dont think stones fans would say satisfaction, or dylan fans like a rolling stone. I think the interpretations of the OPs sentiment mean that it is for a broader snese, or more casual fans perspective.

I definately think it is streets for fans. But I dont think stones fans would say satisfaction, or dylan fans like a rolling stone. I think the interpretations of the OPs sentiment mean that it is for a broader snese, or more casual fans perspective.

Well, trying to differentiate can be a bit sticky, but yes, I guess I mean it more in the broader sense of them being identified with a song to the general music fan, not just their hardcore fan base.

Someone mentioned Beautiful Day, which I didn't have it my original list. Nor did I have One, just because they haven't been around long enough to attain that lofty status. In today's shows, both are certainly locked-in, as well they should be, but I think it's premature to think of them with Streets or Pride. It's like with Bruce - The Rising is played at every show, but I just can't take it seriously as a contender to Born To Run. Someday, maybe.

That really depends.
In generation terms if you're going by mine, then it would be Vertigo and BD.
If you're going by the X generation, then it's One, and before that, WOWY and SBS.
If you're going by live shows, then it's WTSHNN, definitely.
On the other hand if you're going by endurance on the public's mind, I would say it's WOWY, and maybe ISHFWILF.

EDIT: Just saw you were talking about live shows. Then I would say WTSHNN, on these days at least.

u2, more than any other band, have gone through stages. Streets is the one song that has survived the most. One is only one stage short. BD Is another short of that. But those three are definately the indicators of their individual stages of u2s career

Well, trying to differentiate can be a bit sticky, but yes, I guess I mean it more in the broader sense of them being identified with a song to the general music fan, not just their hardcore fan base.

Someone mentioned Beautiful Day, which I didn't have it my original list. Nor did I have One, just because they haven't been around long enough to attain that lofty status. In today's shows, both are certainly locked-in, as well they should be, but I think it's premature to think of them with Streets or Pride. It's like with Bruce - The Rising is played at every show, but I just can't take it seriously as a contender to Born To Run. Someday, maybe.

I think in this case, you'd have to go with Streets rather than Pride, since Pride was left off the setlist in all but one show on the most recent leg, and as far as I know, no one's taken to the streets in protest, be it casual or hardcore fan. ;)

^:up:

Definitely Streets. I :heart: this song; it was the one song that got me hooked to U2 forever. To hear it live for the first time last year was quite the experience. The entire crowd was on their feet, dancing and singing to this song. :hyper: I could not imagine a U2 concert without this song...:ohmy:

Pride was not played at my concert...was quite disappointed.

Streets is the live highlight of every single u2 show. it blows the roof off, every single time.
as a live song, pride should not even be mentioned with streets- its not even close.

you realise One has been out for 19 years? surely that's long enough?

Streets, no questions asked. Pride would run a close second though (at least it did at the concert i saw).

I'd like to think U2 has many signature songs. That's what makes them so special.

Streets, One, and Bad are the top of the mountain though...

Streets, SBS makes a close rival though, it was the song that exploded them onto the international scene, and remains a showstopper (the resurgence in energy during 360 performances has certainly helped).

Healthcliff makes a good point about WOWY, while the live performances the last 2 tours have been a little lackluster (only by comparison to their past performances, not really in comparison to other bands' live shows), I'd say that's the song that endures in the casual radio listener's mind more than any other U2 track to this day.

Back
Top Bottom