Where's the damned new U2 album? Part III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When he met Bono he said the album could go in two different ways but he wasn't involved at the time. Now he's flying to the south of France where the band is so it's a good guess.

Ah, I get it now, lol!

Don't want to jump to conclusions, but the trend in the last week isn't very good. 1st we have a Bono interview saying that they were LOST and trying to open the hatch, now Steve Lillywhite is flying to France. Someone should ask Nate Silver what the odds are looking like now.

Steve Lillywhite has tweeted earlier today that he's on the plane travelling to Nice airport. You know what that may mean and who he might be meeting in France, but who knows, maybe it's nothing.

Bloody Hell!!!! :angry: :doh: :| :huh: :wink:

Steve Lillywhite has tweeted earlier today that he's on the plane travelling to Nice airport. You know what that may mean and who he might be meeting in France, but who knows, maybe it's nothing.

Here's what we need: A Willy Wonka-themed, Oompa-Loompa song, reminding U2 of what happens to their albums when Steve Lillywhite swoops-in at the last minute (something about the golden goose laying a bad egg that ends up in the furnace, like Varuca Salt). Let's record it, post it somewhere the band might see it, and play it on a loop.

Just like with NLOTH he's going to say the album is too "precious" and it will have to change. I wonder how Danger Mouse feels about Steve coming in. Maybe he's thinking "thank God! Now I can get onto those other artists that are waiting for me!"

@Sillywhite: Long day traveling will see me arrive tomorrow morning at Nice airport !! Get in there !

‏@skid63: Oh really? Meeting anyone we know??? Ha ha!

@Sillywhite: I try to steer clear of the circus !

If, and it's a big IF, Lillywhite is shipped in here to redo some of DM's work, that will be the story of this release. DM is really big news and his involvement in the project is what has piqued a lot of interest outside the realm of U2 fandom.

As much as they are creatures of habit, I honestly can't see them "Lillywhiting" this.

I really hope Lillywhite isn't finishing the album with them. He has done a great job in the past but its time to move on!

Personally, I think they're done with the album... and Lillywhite is just mixing a single or something for some dumb remix for a CD single that no one will really buy.

Hopefully.

Will.i.am and RedOne have been spotted loitering around Nice airport :lol: (only joking. Plz put that knife back in the drawer).

Relax everyone.. in response to someone, Lillywhite confirms he's not involved. First he hasn‘t been involved with "since Pop, I think"

Maybe he's just joining them to party and have a listen to the tapes.

Maybe Bono is getting drunk again and turning the volume up really loud.

Maybe we'll get beach clips around Edge's birthday :hmm:

holy shit. everybody get their jump to conclusions mat out.
You asked for it.

jump-to-conclusions-mat.jpg

And you're suggesting that's more due to a quote about the JT Tour that probably nobody involved even remembers saying, rather than to cater to the perceived demand at the time?

I'm suggesting they don't mix arenas and stadiums on a single leg. The one time they did, their own crew hated it. And this was a stage nowhere near as elaborate as later tours.

Michael Schabow ‏@mjschabow 3h
@Sillywhite so in other words, no new U2 album until 2014? ;)
Expand
Steve Lillywhite CBE ‏@Sillywhite 2h
@mjschabow you might say that but I couldn't possibly comment !

"And on a musical note I can say I am 99% sure I shall not be working on the new U2 record .."

So, there's the 1% still.

I catch this opportunity to say hi - my first message here.

Michael Schabow ‏@mjschabow 3h
@Sillywhite so in other words, no new U2 album until 2014? ;)
Expand
Steve Lillywhite CBE ‏@Sillywhite 2h
@mjschabow you might say that but I couldn't possibly comment !

Wow. I take that as a pretty good hint towards the album not coming out this year.

I can't believe how many people on twitter are actually feeling bad about Steve NOT working on the U2 album. :lol:

And Steve, since he's not involved, should just shut up and not post any cryptic messages. I don't think U2, who are trying to be so secretive about the album, are very happy with that.

I take absolutely no stock in whatever Lillywhite's saying. He's not involved in the album. He's not in the band. He's close to the band, sure, and he's worked with them plenty in the past.

If U2 are going through such great lengths to keep everything about this album silent, including the founder of Island records *deleting* his tweet about the new songs sounding "#betterthanever," I doubt Lillywhite saying he can't comment on anything and being vague is indicative of the new album's timeline.

Sure, it's possible it comes out in 2014, but I'd still say all signs point to a 4thQ '13 release. We have no idea when Bono's interview for Mick Jagger was done. If it was done in late June, which is certainly possible, then U2 being lost in the music while in New York City makes a lot of sense. If it were even a few weeks ago, it's still ok -- didn't somebody tweet they were jamming in France and we made nothing of it?

That interview in Ireland on what's-his-face's program came out in the summer just so it didn't coincide with publicity for U2's new album. Yeah, a delay can happen, but Lillywhite being cute on Twitter isn't really something I'd worry about. What if the Twitterer asked "So, the new album is coming out this fall?" and he relied, "you might say that but i couldn't possibly comment!" He's basically a Magic 8 ball. Shake it until you get an answer that fits your narrative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom