What's the best way to quit a job??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elevation2u

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
***WARNING rant

Ok, so I've been working at a veterinarian clinic for some time now, mostly because I enjoy working with the animals and I really have fun with my coworkers.

The Dr, however, is a huge asshole ...and I'm not exaggerating... it's pretty much the reason people are always quitting , well that and the crappy pay. I remember my first year watching coworkers cry because thet were humiliated and such, and I promised myself if he ever made me cry I would quit....well eventually he did and I didnt quit as you can see.

Today was the second time [a long time after the first incident]..he made me feel like an ass for no reason.. hmm the words "fuckhead, & retard" where used, and according to the manager "well you know how he is, he's always gonna be a jerk, you gotta learn not to take it personal, and plus the overload of sick patients really stress him out".
But half the time he's an a-hole, last month he went on a whole angry speech about how there's too many mexicans and they don't do any good for the country ...right in front of me, knowing I was born in mexico and my whole family is mexican.
Did I mention he's a huge Republican?

Also, I was told if I learned to do the stuff on a list they gave me a while back I would get a raise, of course I learned it and have been doing all that stuff since but now they added a lot more to the list, which is fine ok, I'll learn it but now I'm thinking they're gonna keep adding more to it everytime making it impossible to get their stupid raise.

Obviously, this isn't my career, mostly I'm trying to save up $ to return back to school, lucky for me I don't qualify for financial aid cause my parents make too much money even though they're the cheapest people I've ever known...and then of course, I need to buy a car first in order to even drive to college.
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

So I apologize for the rant, but to get to the point, what's the best way to quit?? To be honest I would prefer to not even show up to my 11 hour shift tomorrow. But then It's the whole , 'it's gonna make me look bad' crap. My friend did that 2 months ago [also, thanks to the Dr's wrath] and she had no probelm getting a job somewhere else.
Should I call and let them know I'm never coming back? I'm really bad at confrontation.

:mad:

Thanks

sorry that your boss is such a prick .. and that you've had to put up with him for so long.

calling-in, and saying you're not coming back isn't the nicest thing to do .. mainly because it doesn't really effect the doctor but everyone else that still works there (that will have to cover the duties).

if you can, try resigning to an office manager or other head staff if possible. if your not good with confrontation (like me), just rehease it befire you do it and keep it simple .. hey can i talk to you, i can't work here anymore, i'll finish out the week. thx.

good luck :up:

I agree--until you have another job lined up, it's best to do the professional thing and give your two weeks' notice. Whether you like it or not, this employer is going to be a reference for your next employer, and he could really screw you over if you give him a hard time.

After you secure another job, though, and know you'll never need him again, I'd write this guy a (very professional) letter and tell him how offended you were by his racist and belittling comments and that you felt you could no longer work in such an unsupportive environment.

BonoIsMyMuse said:
I agree--until you have another job lined up, it's best to do the professional thing and give your two weeks' notice. Whether you like it or not, this employer is going to be a reference for your next employer, and he could really screw you over if you give him a hard time.

After you secure another job, though, and know you'll never need him again, I'd write this guy a (very professional) letter and tell him how offended you were by his racist and belittling comments and that you felt you could no longer work in such an unsupportive environment.

what she said :yes:

Don't quit. Contact the nearest local TV station, insisting on being an anonymous source, get equipped with a hidden camera or tape recorder, and humiliate the hell out of him on TV. He won't mess with you any longer.

Well, that's what I wish I could do. Do what makes you feel comfortable, but my point is that you don't have to feel like a victim.

Melon

I apologize for going against what everyone's saying. Especially b/c it's good advice.

I too had a crap boss and a job with no chance ever of moving up...and of course...meh, ok pay.

Anyway, I couldn't take the unnecessary drama/powertripping boss and most importantly, my job is pretty much seasonal so my hours went down to under 20 hrs a week. I couldn't afford it and so, after thinking about it, I am going with a job that does NOT help me enhance my career, and I'm going to be landscaping.

It's a tough thing figuring out what is next, but I KNOW I am going to be way more happy this summer and, it's going to be a huge 3 month period of applying for jobs and moving on to something in my field.

I don't know, I guess I just wanted to say do what you need to do really. Good luck!

That's really terrible. If I were a client of his I'd be interested to know that that's how he treats his staff. Sounds like he gives the animals more respect than his co-workers :tsk:

If you're looking to stay in the field, then I would say suck it up and just give two weeks notice when you get something lined up or better yet drop off your two week notice as you leave for a two week vacation.

If on the other hand you're not looking to stay in the field, fuck it and fuck him. Quit on spot. Not burning bridges is probably the overrated thing in the world. If the guy is an asshole, ask yourself if he'd even give you a good reference anyway. Your happiness should not be sacrificed for some shit job.

Too bad I wasn't in this vet's office with my pet, as a client/patient over-hearing or witness to the way this guy is treating you. I would LOVE to have a go at the guy and maybe it's just that scenario having someone from the outside call the guy- on the spot- about his actions and attitude toward employees as well as his obvious anger and prejudice that he needs to be brought back to earth.

But seriously, get the hell out. You don't deserve to be treated badly OR underpaid for good honest hard work. Find something else, give your 2 week notice and go on your way. Don't look back. :wink:

well, after much thought and debate I made up my mind 100% I really wanted to quit and would (something I should have done a long time ago). So right before I went to bed last night I decided I was not about to work friday [today], and that was that...of course I woke up eearly [damn that internal clock] and could hardly sleep in and they finally called me 50 minutes after I was supposed to be there. I got nervous and didnt answer, then 10 minutes called back and told them
"I thought it over and decided yesterday was my last day"
manager: "oh, ok, well that's a shame cause we all like having you around"
me: "uh, sure"
manager: "well, good luck"
me: "uh, yeah, thanks, I'm not that worried yet cause I have an interview in an hour"
manager: "we're not worried about you, you're capable of getting any job"
me: "ok, bye"
manager: "bye"

:happy:
My only regret is not having gone off of the Dr yesterday, or ever...hopefully, with those experiences I'll be able to stand up for myself.

and I did have an interview today, the first one I've ever had, I think I did good, I was myself, I didn't present the phony "I can do anything persona" but was confident and told them I'm a fast learner. They said they really liked me, and would call me on tuesday.
I have no past experience of job applying, interviews, waiting for calls etc... So I'm not sure if the "we'll call you tuesday, and let you know" line is a cop out or a definite "no". But I'm extremely relieved and proud of finally quitting the job from hell. Though I do feel a bit like George Constanza now that I'm officially "unemployed".
:giggle:

Carek1230 said:
Too bad I wasn't in this vet's office with my pet, as a client/patient over-hearing or witness to the way this guy is treating you. I would LOVE to have a go at the guy and maybe it's just that scenario having someone from the outside call the guy- on the spot- about his actions and attitude toward employees as well as his obvious anger and prejudice that he needs to be brought back to earth.

But seriously, get the hell out. You don't deserve to be treated badly OR underpaid for good honest hard work. Find something else, give your 2 week notice and go on your way. Don't look back. :wink:

but of course he's all smiles with the clients and they all love him. I'm not gonna say he's a bad doctor, cause well he's not but he sure has no manners or respect for any of the employess [and the laziest employee there never gets in trouble cause he's the only guy]. But yeah, this is a Dr who's on the SDSU pre-vet panel and comes out on local news blah blah blah.

for anyone who cares I applied to 3 other jobs...
one ended up being waay too far so I didnt show up to the interview :uhoh:,
the one I really wanted to work at had me come in for 2 interviews and I lost hope they would give me the job,
I interviewed at some really crappy, rundown place yesterday and they called me 2 hours ago to say I could start today

Luckily, the place I wanted to work at called me this morning to say they'll be happy to have me and I could start monday :hyper:
(the people are nice, my friend works there, I hear it's not as stressful and it's near my house)
:happy:

and yea, apparently my old manager wasn't too pleased with my lack of 2 weeks notice because I left them with loads of work:hmm:
Interesting, cause my last day there she told me I made no contribution to the practice..too bad she didnt realize my importance earlier
:rolleyes:

oooh, almsot forgot after being yelled at and called a fuckhead retard

I still get this email:

Hello,
Sorry to hear you have stopped working here. Good luck, stop by whenever you wish.
- Dr K

:angry:
If only I could reply with a witty message
:grumpy:

elevation2u said:
oooh, almsot forgot after being yelled at and called a fuckhead retard

I still get this email:

Hello,
Sorry to hear you have stopped working here. Good luck, stop by whenever you wish.
- Dr K

:angry:
If only I could reply with a witty message
:grumpy:

Someone on here should write one for you, because if anyone whoever called me a "fuckhead and retard" at work sent me an e-mail like that after I quit :madwife: .

Seriously, one day he is going to treat someone like that and quitting is the least that they will do :yikes:.

Back
Top Bottom