Whatever happened to just playing music??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally I'd love them to use that time to air their grievances with and about each other-but that might be overshare.

Now THAT would be cool! I could just see it now -- U2 a la Jerry Springer -- the band members screaming and throwing guitars and drums at each other while their techs try to break it up. woohoo! :lmao:

Well now, this IS a mighty fine thread to sandwich around some East Coast shows tonight. And, while I did not read every posters 'location', I can attest that here in the Midwest, a tad more conservative than the coasts, many "skip" U2 as an act just because of the (pick your term) "political bullshit". They won't listen or buy the music, and Lord knows they skip the concerts as well.

I've seen 15 shows across every tour back to War, and yes politics and spirituality are part of the U2 package, which I too enjoy. But over those shows, there have been times when the preaching went on too long and I just wanted to hear a fargin' song.

So, our original poster had a moment like that and expressed an opinion. If Bono went off for 4 minutes after every song, and we had 17 songs per night instead of 22, Interference would be lit up like a Christmas tree. (My exaggeration is not much different than the "30 second" exaggeration which is also used to make a point)

So, close the thread and move on :wink:

:applaud:perfect response. U2 without politics is not U2.

So true, but I do not recall the "politics" of the Pop Tour -- which I saw in Kansas City -- pray tell, could the lack of politics be why the Pop Tour might go down as the worst, relatively speaking?

btw, not saying i agree with the original poster, but does everyone remember when u2s politics were largely enough said in the songs and bono barely needed to say anything? i miss that.

I'm not sure if that was ever true.

In the 80's the politics were more off the cuff angry rants, probably a little more sexy in the realm of rock n roll, but not very effective.

In the 90's the politics were vague and shrouded in irony, but still pretty active outside the shows.

In the 00's they're a little more scripted but I would say much much more effective.

Interesting side note: I ran into an old friend who is a lawyer who does a lot of international human rights work, never a big fan of U2 but went to the Chicago show last week based almost purely on the band's activism with Aung San Suu Kyi and fell in love with the band, called it a "church like experience".

So true, but I do not recall the "politics" of the Pop Tour -- which I saw in Kansas City -- pray tell, could the lack of politics be why the Pop Tour might go down as the worst, relatively speaking?

PopMart and ZooTV were possibly their two most political tours... not in the typical sense of Washington-esque politics, but more in a social-political sense.

If you came away from either of those shows without feeling like a social message was being rammed down your throat, then you fell right into their trap.

For the record, I consider PopMart and ZooTV to be, by far, their two best tours.

Well now, this IS a mighty fine thread to sandwich around some East Coast shows tonight. And, while I did not read every posters 'location', I can attest that here in the Midwest, a tad more conservative than the coasts, many "skip" U2 as an act just because of the (pick your term) "political bullshit". They won't listen or buy the music, and Lord knows they skip the concerts as well.

I hear what you are saying BW and respect that you have struck a balance between the two 'sides' so to speak...but I can't help but think that it's a tad lat e in the game for us to believe that they - and by extension we - care if some uptight narrow minded individuals don't dig U2's message or music. Most of us are here today because of that very message in the music and because the package known as "U2" - the music, the politics, the spirituality, the good, the overbearing perhaps - is what attracts us to U2. It's our own, and in the end, there will be us hard cores left and the general public may in fact turn their backs once more on U2. I know Bono likes to be as bipartisan as possible, but the rest of the band isn't so conciliatory and maybe the U2 collective will finally just say well to hell with those who don't like us. I could honestly see that possibly happening, and the message getting stronger, not weaker. :shrug:

Here's a question for thought...does U2's campaigning and convictions help their music, or detract from it? Would they have written the brilliant songs they have had they not believed as they do and did not campaign the way they do? Or does in fact their politics and spirituality actually make them a better band and inspire them to greater heights? :hmm:

Here's a question for thought...does U2's campaigning and convictions help their music, or detract from it? Would they have written the brilliant songs they have had they not believed as they do and did not campaign the way they do? Or does in fact their politics and spirituality actually make them a better band and inspire them to greater heights? :hmm:

Considering that every single album U2 have ever made, save maybe Rattle and Hum, has been created with large amounts of political, social, and spiritual influence, I think it is very easy to answer this question.

I'm not sure if that was ever true.

In the 80's the politics were more off the cuff angry rants, probably a little more sexy in the realm of rock n roll, but not very effective.

In the 90's the politics were vague and shrouded in irony, but still pretty active outside the shows.

In the 00's they're a little more scripted but I would say much much more effective.

sorry, i should have refined what i meant. in the 80s the political stuff didn't seem as choreographed as it does today, although it was quite obviously there. i'm totally blanking on the 90s right now, but it was closer to the 00s although it was more mixed into the songs - just like 360 - than the vertigo tour in particular.

U2 in the 90s also really proved Larry's statement from the early 80s true about being more interested in the "politics of people" than politics. Those albums were about society, but they were, most importantly, about people.

Here is why I love Achtung Baby. It is an album about fame. It is an album about Berlin. It is an optimistic album about two halves of Berlin coming together. It is a pessimistic album about two halves of Berlin coming together. It is an optimistic glance into the future of Europe. It is a pissed-off rant against globalization that embraces globalization wholeheartedly, both sarcastically and seriously. It is the trials and tribulations of lovers throughout life. It is an album about Bono's internal struggles. It is an album about the band's internal struggles; it is a more sophisticated version of Quadrophenia in that sense. It is playful. It is serious. It is ironic. It is earnest. It makes fun of society. It makes fun of U2's role in society. It pretends to be teeny-bopper, but only when necessary, because it is about people, and people have their teeny-bopper moments. It is teeny-bopper, because we all have those moments within us, U2 being no exception. It embraces society. It says that we are all one. It says that we are not the same. It is an album that is pissed that we must be together as humans. It is an album that rejects that notion entirely. It is an album that embraces that notion. It, on the surface, ditches God entirely. But it embraces God, and spirituality, as it becomes more desperate. The twenty-first century began in 1991.

And it fucking evolved. Achtung Baby gained more meaning through ZooTV and Zooropa. And I think it still gains new meaning today... for me, for the world, and for U2. Ultraviolet, for example, came back this tour with a whole new attitude, one that relates back to its old ZooTV attitude, but builds on it, and ends up changing it totally.

No other album can do this.

I love U2 of the 90s, and I especially love Achtung Baby. 90s U2 were social, and political, and spiritual, but they were mainly amazing because they were humans, and their music was about humanity.

Too bad Walkon didn't see Public Enemy open for U2 in Tempe during Zoo TV outside broadcast- they played one song and walked off the stage due to our backwoods hick of a governor....BTW, Walkon might consider changing that name since it's linked to such a political song....Might make him feel better.....
sad-032.gif
The best suggestion is to stay away from the concerts and just skip through the speeches on the DVDs.....

For the record, I consider PopMart and ZooTV to be, by far, their two best tours.

Ya had me with Zoo, ya lost me with Pop. To each his own.

Most of us are here today because of that very message in the music and because the package known as "U2" - the music, the politics, the spirituality, the good, the overbearing perhaps - is what attracts us to U2. It's our own, and in the end, there will be us hard cores left and the general public may in fact turn their backs once more on U2. I know Bono likes to be as bipartisan as possible, but the rest of the band isn't so conciliatory and maybe the U2 collective will finally just say well to hell with those who don't like us. I could honestly see that possibly happening, and the message getting stronger, not weaker. :shrug:

Hmm, indeed, for me it is not a stretch to see U2's final act as a full out assault of both politics and spirituality, perhaps more the latter, where the lyrics are no longer subtly spiritual, but in your face spiritual -- and perhaps they get play on different radio formats and perhaps Adam joins the chorus if ya know what I mean.

In response to your questiion, it does both. For some in the audience, and the potential audience / potential music purchasers it detracts, for others, it attracts. In my local, Midwest experience, it seems of late, that it detracts more than attracts. i.e. the Non-Blue-Crackers that COULD see a show or buy NLOTH, are put off right now. Or, maybe, Boots was just a crappy choice for the first single. :wink:

UGH! I understand what you're saying but damn that is so dismissive, U2 themselves may be made up of liberals (religious liberals mind you) but the politics they present are ones of compassion and social justice, unless you're a rich businessman or dictator that thrive on holding other people down, you should respond or relate to U2's messages, otherwise you're just poisoned by TV politiking bait-and-switch tactics, or you have no heart.

politics have always been a big issue with u2, thankfully. i really am glad that they make middle america aware of these things happening in other countries, things the nightly news doesn't talk about.

i just miss the spontaneity. now you know, after this song they're going to talk about this. before this song, this. i'm glad they're getting the messages out there, i just wish it wasn't so scripted. however, i realize 95% of the people at any given u2 show are only going to be seeing that one show, or maybe one other in the area. just because the 5% have seen this several times and are already aware of the issues doesn't mean they should stop.

Bono's best rants are the spontaneous one-offs. Fuck The Revolution is so good because you could tell he really, really meant it, and it didn't get watered down through nightly re-telling.

Even if you've only gone to one gig and haven't followed the tour online, it's pretty obvious what speeches are scripted and told all the time, and when that's a lengthy ramble, that hurts Bono's point. I've always maintained that a couple of well-chosen sentences will beat a lengthy ramble any time, and make Bono's points far more effectively. Doesn't matter if he uses the same well-chosen sentences each night; it neutralises the complaints about time-wasting, the crowd doesn't get restless, and it cuts through the muck straight to the point to give people food for thought.

I expect politics at a U2 gig, and I like it; I just think the style and presentation could be improved. Credit to the band for this tour's version of SBS - gets the Iran point across without wasting valuable time on a longwinded spiel, and the point's all the more effective because it's a part of the music.

I've always maintained that a couple of well-chosen sentences will beat a lengthy ramble any time, and make Bono's points far more effectively.

Unfortunately, I don't think brevity has ever been one of Bono's strong suits.

The political stuff at the current tour is decent compared to the Vertigo tour.

They even took Bono's chance of rambling before One by placing the Tutu speech there which, IMO, was a good choice.

Only political statement by Bono right now is about Burma and it will stay that way because it's the heart of the current Walk On performance. Apart from that, there IS politics, yes, because it's U2, but it's rather decent.

The only real political rants I experienced personally on the tour were at the two Milan shows when Bono was having a go at Berlusconi. That was really a bit too much for my liking, but I understood why it was important for him at that time.

Apart from that I believe the current tour is not really very political for a U2 show and Bono is doing a good job by just letting the music talk instead of talking himself.

It was one thing in 2001 when it was about 9/11. That was moving, memorable, and appropriate. Something that obviously hit home with all of us. No one who ever saw that tour post 9/11 will ever forget it.

Funny, I thought 9/11 and the whole middle-east problem were somehow related, therefor pointing out the possible changes in Iran should be a good thing, but hey maybe Iran is just to far away....

Unbelievable show last night at Gillette for so many reasons.....the sound was as perfect as any concert I've ever heard, the stage was the most insane thing I've ever seen out of my millions of concerts I've been to, and the set list was near perfect. But there was one HUGE problem....THE POLITICAL BULLSHIT!!!!

My god, what's it gonna take to get Bono to just sing songs for Christ's sake?? When I go to a concert I want music. I don't give a rats ass about Iranian women being oppressed, AIDS in Africa, or any of that other bullshit. A quick mention before something like Sunday Bloody Sunday is one thing, but to spend the whole second half of the show jamming that shit down my throat really pissed me off. Huge downer on the night.

I love this band but that shit was ridiculous. I still can't believe they ruined such a great song like Walk On by bringing all of those fans on stage holding the picture of some Iranian woman over the face. F'n ridiculous.

Like I said, if Bono wants to dedicate Sunday Bloody Sunday to whatever injustice there is going on in the world, then fine. I get that. But the relentless way they incorporate these issues from the other side of the world into the show is just not what people want from a night out at a concert.

But what are you gonna do, leave?? Not go?? Of course not. The music is too damn good. And U2 should wake up and realize there ARE people that DO skip shows because they know about the political agenda Bono spews all night. It's a damn shame.

It was one thing in 2001 when it was about 9/11. That was moving, memorable, and appropriate. Something that obviously hit home with all of us. No one who ever saw that tour post 9/11 will ever forget it.
And then some Americans wonder the rest of the world laughs at them.....

This is pure comedy gold!!!! :heart:

And then some Americans wonder the rest of the world laughs at them.....

This is pure comedy gold!!!! :heart:

That was exactly my thought.

Sorry, but he's the stereotypical way people here see Americans. This forum made it clear to me that yes, there are many of you that are actually very intelligent and well raised, but the majority of the Americans I knew and had heard about before I came to this forum were all like narrow minded Plato's cave people like the OP.

he thinks U2 shows changed for people NOT IN AMERICA after 9/11? Uh, certainly didn't change for me. :shrug:

If you don't like what U2 live shows have become, it's very simple. BUY THE FUCKING DVD AND SKIP THE POLITICS.

Why always the pointless arguments? Holds no water and makes no sense. You are in the MINORITY. Stop trying to make it seem like there are many people supporting you, because I can assure you that 99% of this forum does NOT.

Credit to the band for this tour's version of SBS - gets the Iran point across without wasting valuable time on a longwinded spiel, and the point's all the more effective because it's a part of the music.

Yeah. SBS is incredible and very effective in making its points this tour.

I'm sorry but what is more off-putting at a concert?

Bono making a couple of speeches before songs or them stopping the concert altogether so they can have a live conversation with people in a basement in Sarajevo who basically accuse the audience of not doing anything while a genocide is going on.

I'm sorry but what is more off-putting at a concert?

Bono making a couple of speeches before songs or them stopping the concert altogether so they can have a live conversation with people in a basement in Sarajevo who basically accuse the audience of not doing anything while a genocide is going on.

The first one. I like to get my news straight from the source directly into my Platonic cave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom