What we really do know about NLOTH ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I tend to do stupid jokes when it's 8:00 AM and I have nothing better to do

Meanwhile, not in the Hall of Justice, it's still a rumor that italians do it better.
And on E! tonight:
The FUNNIEST five places to be in 2009 (only for U2 fans):
1 - Chris Martin's head after first hearing of NLOTH
2 - Interference one month after GYOB leaks.
3 - Hell
4 - Interference after Winter leaks.
5 - Interference after GYOB leaks.

I think that put Interference in 3 positions is just lazy journalism.

See? :wink:

:lol::lol::lol:

UPDATE (01/16/2009)!
It's time for a new perspective on the new album's tracks, I guess. I will try an analytical summary of NLOTH from the journalist's view, with the tunes in a casual running-order:
- First the Q-source from November visiting the Olympic Studios and a private session with Bono ...
- Second the Q-magazine snippets, that might capture nearly the same period than the first source and might have the same roots as controbution for Q's special ...
- Third the RS-review of the tracks from early December (with the wrong date, 22nd January, but claiming to be part of the 7th January issue!!!)
-Fourth the current RS-article (01/07/2009), that was obviosuly written on the same occasion as the RS-review. This article confirms our impression here in the forum, that the time, Q and RS visited U2, the work was far from finished. One consequence: At least in parts the known album tracks are 'only' working titles; to create a tracklist for NLOTH out of this, is pure speculation. "We're at the point where half the album is done, and half the album is in a state where anything can happen — and probably will" – says the Edge and thus, this is all we know here on the board regarding the different tunes...
-Fifth the detailed (and officially by the mangement allowed?) Alan Cross statements and impressions on the new single "Get On Your Boots", who's yet to be the first known to us journalist, who obviously has listened to the track (Twitter / alancross).
-Sixth the 2nd detailed review of the single by skott100 (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f196/i-got-on-boots-this-morning-single-review-192159.html)
- Seventh including the official tracklist, confirmed by u2.com and new descriptions by billboard.com

... enjoy and thanx for keeping this 'analytical' thread alive!

1. "No Line On The Horizon"
(- Q-source: "further unfinished"; "two versions were extant: the first is another TUF-esque slow burner that builds to a euphoric coda, the second a punky Pixies/Buzzcocks homage that proceeds at a breathless pace", "Bono very excited about the second version"
(- Q-magazine: "began life as a slow paced Eno-esque ambient treatment, before being dramatically reworked in the Olympic Sessions into an abrasive punk-rock tune akin to Vertigo, with its "No! Line!" chorus chant"
- RS-source: "the title track's relentless groove began as a group improvisation. "It's very raw and very to the point," says the Edge. "It's like rock & roll 2009""
-RS-article: "churning, tribal groove and a deadpan chorus"; ""after-dark" song"; "one of those tunes, where, Bono says, "we allow our interest in electronic music, in Can, Neu! and Kraftwerk, to come out."")

2. "Magnificence"
(- Q-source: "classic U2-isms"; "echoes TUF's opening track A Sort Of Homecoming in its atmospheric sweep"
- Q-magazine: "slow building anthem with the ambience of TUF and laced with the wide eyed wonder of U2's earlier albums. Edge here is at his most dynamic. Features the line:"Only love can reset your mind""
- RS-source: ""Only love can leave such a mark," Bono roars on what sounds like an instant U2 anthem. Will.i.am has already done what Bono calls "the most extraordinary" remix of the tune"
- RS-article: "familiarly chiming U2 anthem")

3. "Moment Of Surrender"
(- Q-source: "particular excitement was reserved for"; "a strident seven-minute epic recorded in a single take"; "sounds like a great U2 moment in the spirit of "One""
- Q-magazine: "georgiously melodic 7 minute song that already has the air of the U2 classic about it, with lyrics about dark stars and existential crises:"I did not notice the passers-by/And they did not notice me". Recorded in one take. This album's "One""
- RS-source: "this seven-minute-long track is one of the album's most ambitious, merging a TJT-style gospel feel with a hypnotically loping bass line and a syncopated beat""
-RS-article: "astonishing seven-minute"; "was played just one time — the band improvised the version on the album from thin air"
- Billboard: "more experimental fare"; "an electro-leaning track with an Eastern-inspired scale in the chorus, making it one of the weirder U2 tracks in decades.")

4. "Unknown Caller"
(- Q-source: "stately"; "was recorded in Fez and opens with the sounds of birdsong taped by Eno during a Moroccan dawn"
(- Q-magazine: "opens with the sound of birdsong recorded live in Fez. A middle eastern flavoured percussion loop drives this tale about a man"at the end of his rope" whose phone bizarrely begins texting him random instructions: "Reboot yourself","Password, enter here","You're free to go".
Dallas Schoo describes the song as "one of Edge's major solos in his life - you wont hear better than that on any other song""
- RS-source: "this midtempo track could have fit on ATYCLB. "The idea is that the narrator is in an altered state, and his phone starts talking to him," says the Edge"
-RS-article: not mentioned)

5. "I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight"
(- Q-source: "straight up pop"; "the track Will.I.Am was taking a pass at"
- Q-magazine: "upbeat pop track with distinct echoes of 60's era Phil Spector, particularly the moment when its chorus disappears into a wash of reverb. Centres around the line: "I'll go crazy If I dont go crazy tonight""
- RS-source: "It's kind of like this album's 'Beautiful Day' — it has that kind of joy to it," Bono says. With the refrain "I know I'll go crazy/If I don't go crazy tonight," it's the band's most unabashed pop tune since "Sweetest Thing"
-RS-article: not mentioned
- Billboard: "classic U2 rocker")

6. "Get On Your Boots"
(- Q-source: "among other instantly striking tracks"; "a heaving electro-rocker that may mark the destination point the band had been seeking on POP"
- Q-magazine: "formerly titled "Sexy Boots", this demented electro grunge employs a proto-rockn'roll riff, but propelled into the future, with a hip-hop twist in the middle. Features Bono in flirtacious, self depreciating mode: "I dont wanna talk about wars between nations""
-RS-source: "the likely first single, this blazing, fuzzed-out rocker picks up where "Vertigo" left off. "It started just with me playing and Larry drumming," the Edge recalls. "And we took it from there""
-RS-article: "with a furry monster of a fuzz-guitar riff"; "power chords that, per Bono, echo the Damned's "New Rose"; verses that share a rhythm with "Subterranean Homesick Blues"; and a chorus that mixes whimsy and ardor: "Get on your boots/Sexy boots/You don't know how beautiful you are." "A hundred fifty beats per minute, three minutes, the fastest song we've ever played," Bono says, playing the tune at deafening volume in an airy studio lounge after dinner. "We're not really ready for adult-contemporary just yet."
-Alan Cross in his "twitter"-blog I: "expected to be heard on the radio within ten days, maybe sooner"; "a lot of electronic sounds"; "Larry plays some kind of electronic drums, too"; Bono rhymes "submarine" with "gasoline"";
"the original title was "Sexy Boots, then it was "Get Your Boots On", now it's "Get On Your Boots"; "the new U2 single will be called "Get On Your Boots" (note the subtle title change)"
- Alan Cross in his "twitter"-blog II: "some new sounds, that could only come from an Eno/Lanois production"; "left me with a feeling similar to what I experienced when I heard “The Fly” for the first time"; "not a back-to-basics guitar/bass/drums track like “Vertigo” or even “Beautiful Day”; there’s some definite sonic evolution going on here"; "it does rock" (no ballad); "Bono manages to rhyme “submarine” with “gasoline” and says something about “don’t talk to me about the state of nations”; "there’s a portion of the melody that somehow reminds me of the cadence of the verses in Elvis Costello’s “Pump It Up,” but as I write this, I’m not completely sure"; "part of the song reminded me of…something else"; "Did I like it? I didn’t hate it—but I need to hear it more before I really make up my mind about what I think about….anything to do with the song"; "filled with far more subtleties and complexities that anyone can hear with one listen"
- skott100: "opens with a drum fill, not unlike "Young Folks" by Peter, Bjorn & John"; "signature riff is muscular and catchy in the "Vertigo" vein, with a rapid fire vocal pattern"; "Alan Cross compared the verses to "Pump It Up" by Elvis Costello, and I can't say I disagree with that. It's evocative but I wouldn't call it a rip-off"; "chorus goes all middle eastern with Bono singing "You don't know how beautiful you are""; "half-tempo breakdown/bridge with a processed drum loop ... like John Bonham playing on a Massive Attack song before the song lurches back into the main riff for another verse and chorus"; "feels like a dense 7 minute epic crammed into about 3 and a half minutes"; "most striking are the drums"; "never heard so many layers of rhythm on a U2 song"; "a lot of very processed drums (I thought of Kasabian at one point and N*E*R*D* at another) and loops going on, coming in and out of the mix"; "at points it goes back to traditional sounding drums for emphasis"; "extremely tasteful, but complex enough to make my head spin"; "this is not U2 by the numbers"; "not a "return to form" or "back to basics""; "his is, what the kids like to call, some OTHER shit"; "the 21st Century version of U2"; "hey aren't looking back to their own catalog for inspiration anymore, if this song is any indication"
- Billboard: "classic u2 rocker; ""premieres Monday (Jan. 19) on Dublin's 2FM. It will be released digitally Feb. 15 and physically the following day"; "the group will perform "Get on Your Boots" Feb. 18 at the BRIT Awards ceremony in London")

7. "Stand Up Comedy"
(- Q-source: "swaggering"; "wherein U2 get in touch with their, hitherto unheard, funky selves - albeit propelled by some coruscating Edge guitar work, a signature feature of a number of the tracks"; "home to the knowing Bono lyric, "Stand up to rock stars/Napoleon is in high heels/Be careful of small men with big ideas.""
- Q-magazine: "rousing groove-based rocker with shades of Led Zep and Cream. Edge mentions that they're trying to keep Stand Up in a rough state and not overproduce it by putting it through Pro-Tools which cleans up imperfections"
- RS-source: "Stand Up Comedy"; "another hard rock tune, powered by an unexpectedly slinky groove and a riff that lands between the Beatles' "Come Together" and Led Zep's "Heartbreaker." Edge recently hung out with Jimmy Page and Jack White for the upcoming documentary It Might Get Loud, and their penchant for blues-based rock rubbed off: "I was just fascinated with seeing how Jimmy played those riffs so simply, and with Jack as well," he says"
-RS-article: "the words, which he keeps revising, have an almost hip-hop-like cadence: "Stand up, 'cause you can't sit down... Stop helping God across the road like a little old lady... Come on, you people, stand up for your love."; "We haven't quite gotten this right, and I'm the problem", Bono says of the tune, which is called "Stand Up Comedy" — at least for the moment. Tomorrow it will have new lyrics."; "the groove is slinkier than anything U2 have done in years.")

8. "Fez -- Being Born"
- Billboard: "more experimental fare".
- Apart from this not mentioned yet, but If it is identical with the working title track "Tripoli", we do know more:
(- Q-source: not mentioned ...
- Q-magazine: "Bono talks about a song called "Tripoli", which is a guy on a motorcycle, a Moraccan french cop, whos going AWOL. He drives though France and Spain down to this village outside of Cadiz where you can actually see the fires of Africa burning"
- RS-source: "this strikingly experimental song lurches between disparate styles, including near-operatic choral music, ZOOROPA-style electronics, and churning arena rock"
-RS-article: "ambitious possible album opener, which violently lurches between different sections"; ""after-dark" song"; "one of those tunes, where, Bono says, "we allow our interest in electronic music, in Can, Neu! and Kraftwerk, to come out."")

9. "White As Snow"
- Yet not mentioned, but if it is identical with the working title track "Winter" (white snow = winter), we do know more:
(- Q-source: "featuring a fine Bono lyric about a soldier in an unspecified war zone, surrounded by a deceptively simple rhythm track and an evocative string arrangement courtesy of Eno"
- Q-magazine: "6 minute ballad. Echoes of Simon & Garfunkel in this poignant, acoustic string laden ballad about a soldier in the snow of Afghanistan. Will appear in the new film 'Brothers' starring Tobey Maguire about the emotional fallout of the war. Edge on backing vocals with Bono for Winter""
-RS-source: not mentioned
-RS-article:"lovely discarded ballad")

10. "Breathe"
(- Q-source: "particular excitement was reserved for"; "still a work in progress"; "Eno suggests, this is potentially both the best song the band had written and that he had worked on"
- Q-magazine: "Arabic cello gives way to joyful chorus. Brian Eno says this is U2's best ever song. It's 8pm and Eno, Bono and Will.i.am are on Olympic Studio 1 writing a cello part for a song called Breathe that U2 - a touch ambitiously - are only beginning to record in ths final fortnight, never mind mix – the singer belts out a rollicking vocal featuring door-to-door salesman, a cockatoo and a chorus that begins "Step out into the street, sing your heart out""
- RS-source: not mentioned
-RS-article: "tweaks on his computer what he (The Edge) estimates to be the 80th incarnation")

11. "Cedars Of Lebanon"
- Q-magazine: "Daniel Lanois instigated closer that finds Bono imagining himself as a weary, lovelorn war correspondent "squeezing complicated lives into a simple headline". Ends with the possibly telling line "Choose your enemies carefully cos they will define you""
- RS-source: ""On this album, you can feel what is going on in the world at the window, scratching at the windowpane," says Bono, who sings this atmospheric ballad from the point of view of a war correspondent"

Official tracklist (as confirmed by u2.com and billboard)

1. "No Line on the Horizon"
2. "Magnificent"
3. "Moment of Surrender"
4. "Unknown Caller"
5. "I'll Go Crazy if I Don't Go Crazy Tonight"
6. "Get On Your Boots"
7. "Stand Up Comedy"
8. "Fez -- Being Born"
9. "White As Snow"
10. "Breathe"
11. "Cedars of Lebanon"

... great, great news, but of course the fate of "Every Breaking Wave", "Tripoli" (Movie OST or identical with #8?) and "Winter" (identical with #9?) is unsure ...

Thanx, mate.:wink: So – what do you think about the open questions? "White As Snow" might be "Winter", "Fez" could be "Tripoli" and "Every Breaking Wave" might not have made it. And of course: Could the "Being Born"-Part be a re-worked "Mercy"?

Hmmm... I remember a quote from Bono (?) saying something about "other two songs". I think White as Snow is one of those. About Every Breaking Wave I think it was discarded. Tripoli... might be one part of Fez-Being Born. Do you remember what is the route that the cop travels? I'm sure they say that somewhere. Anyway, the only track that I miss from the discarded is Tripoli. I really liked the description from RS.

Btw, it's been a loong time since I think that Winter won't be on the album.

Hmmm... I remember a quote from Bono (?) saying something about "other two songs". I think White as Snow is one of those. About Every Breaking Wave I think it was discarded. Tripoli... might be one part of Fez-Being Born. Do you remember what is the route that the cop travels? I'm sure they say that somewhere. Anyway, the only track that I miss from the discarded is Tripoli. I really liked the description from RS.

Btw, it's been a loong time since I think that Winter won't be on the album.

The quote was an annotation from the "Q"-website:
"Bono talks about a song called Tripoli which is a guy on a motorcycle, a Moroccan french cop, whos going AWOL. He drives though France and Spain down to this village outside of Cadiz where you can actually see the fires of Africa burning. After the interview Bono drove Paul Rees (Q Editor) around Shepards Bush and played two other songs not named."

... with all these story and geography hints, I really would like to link Tripoli (being outside of Cadiz) with the Moroccan guy (Fez being in Morocco) and the storyplot being at the political, social & cultural" hotspot"-border between Cadiz/Tripoli/Spain/Europe and Fez/Morocco/Africa. So really "Tripoli" should be "Fez-Being Born".
And still I would opt for "White As Snow" being "Winter".
So, the only thing, that would was discarded IMO obviously was "Every Breaking Wave" ...

The quote was an annotation from the "Q"-website:
"Bono talks about a song called Tripoli which is a guy on a motorcycle, a Moroccan french cop, whos going AWOL. He drives though France and Spain down to this village outside of Cadiz where you can actually see the fires of Africa burning. After the interview Bono drove Paul Rees (Q Editor) around Shepards Bush and played two other songs not named."

... with all these story and geography hints, I really would like to link Tripoli (being outside of Cadiz) with the Moroccan guy (Fez being in Morocco) and the storyplot being at the political, social & cultural" hotspot"-border between Cadiz/Tripoli/Spain/Europe and Fez/Morocco/Africa. So really "Tripoli" should be "Fez-Being Born".
And still I would opt for "White As Snow" being "Winter".
So, the only thing, that would was discarded IMO obviously was "Every Breaking Wave" ...

Thanks. Yeah, it seems that "Tripoli" turned into, at least, a part of "Fez - Being Born". But, I just remembered something that someone posted in other thread about "Fez - Being Born" being related to the creation process of the album, since the album started in Fez. That seems interesting.
I really can't see no relation between "Winter" and "WaS" except the Snow/Winter part. And I think it's weird that they change the title of a song that's been announced to be in a movie as "Winter" (I don't know if it's been officialy announced.) And on top of that, "WaS" doesn't seem to fit lyrics about a soldier in Afghanistan. To me, WaS stands as the only track we have no information or description about. One of those "two tracks."
Yeah, same to me, EBW is almost-confirmed off the album.

Thanks. Yeah, it seems that "Tripoli" turned into, at least, a part of "Fez - Being Born". But, I just remembered something that someone posted in other thread about "Fez - Being Born" being related to the creation process of the album, since the album started in Fez. That seems interesting.
I really can't see no relation between "Winter" and "WaS" except the Snow/Winter part. And I think it's weird that they change the title of a song that's been announced to be in a movie as "Winter" (I don't know if it's been officialy announced.) And on top of that, "WaS" doesn't seem to fit lyrics about a soldier in Afghanistan. To me, WaS stands as the only track we have no information or description about. One of those "two tracks."
Yeah, same to me, EBW is almost-confirmed off the album.
Nice idea, too:applaud::up:

I tend to do stupid jokes when it's 8:00 AM and I have nothing better to do

Meanwhile, not in the Hall of Justice, it's still a rumor that italians do it better.
And on E! tonight:
The FUNNIEST five places to be in 2009 (only for U2 fans):
1 - Chris Martin's head after first hearing of NLOTH
2 - Interference one month after GYOB leaks.
3 - Hell
4 - Interference after Winter leaks.
5 - Interference after GYOB leaks.

I think that put Interference in 3 positions is just lazy journalism.

See? :wink:

I would replace "Hell" with Brandon Flowers' head after first hearing of NLOTH

UPDATE (01/17/2009):wave:
It's time for a new perspective on the new album's tracks, I guess. I will try an analytical summary of NLOTH from the journalist's view, with the tunes in a casual running-order:
- First the Q-source from November visiting the Olympic Studios and a private session with Bono ...
- Second the Q-magazine snippets, that might capture nearly the same period than the first source and might have the same roots as controbution for Q's special ...
- Third the RS-review of the tracks from early December (with the wrong date, 22nd January, but claiming to be part of the 7th January issue!!!)
-Fourth the current RS-article (01/07/2009), that was obviosuly written on the same occasion as the RS-review. This article confirms our impression here in the forum, that the time, Q and RS visited U2, the work was far from finished. One consequence: At least in parts the known album tracks are 'only' working titles; to create a tracklist for NLOTH out of this, is pure speculation. "We're at the point where half the album is done, and half the album is in a state where anything can happen — and probably will" – says the Edge and thus, this is all we know here on the board regarding the different tunes...
-Fifth the detailed (and officially by the mangement allowed?) Alan Cross statements and impressions on the new single "Get On Your Boots", who's yet to be the first known to us journalist, who obviously has listened to the track (Twitter / alancross).
-Sixth the 2nd detailed review of the single by skott100 (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f196/i-got-on-boots-this-morning-single-review-192159.html)
- Seventh including the official tracklist, confirmed by u2.com and new descriptions by billboard.com
- Eighth Dave Fanning's reviews

... enjoy and thanx for keeping this 'analytical' thread alive!

1. "No Line On The Horizon"
(- Q-source: "further unfinished"; "two versions were extant: the first is another TUF-esque slow burner that builds to a euphoric coda, the second a punky Pixies/Buzzcocks homage that proceeds at a breathless pace", "Bono very excited about the second version"
(- Q-magazine: "began life as a slow paced Eno-esque ambient treatment, before being dramatically reworked in the Olympic Sessions into an abrasive punk-rock tune akin to Vertigo, with its "No! Line!" chorus chant"
- RS-source: "the title track's relentless groove began as a group improvisation. "It's very raw and very to the point," says the Edge. "It's like rock & roll 2009""
-RS-article: "churning, tribal groove and a deadpan chorus"; ""after-dark" song"; "one of those tunes, where, Bono says, "we allow our interest in electronic music, in Can, Neu! and Kraftwerk, to come out."")

2. "Magnificence"
(- Q-source: "classic U2-isms"; "echoes TUF's opening track A Sort Of Homecoming in its atmospheric sweep"
- Q-magazine: "slow building anthem with the ambience of TUF and laced with the wide eyed wonder of U2's earlier albums. Edge here is at his most dynamic. Features the line:"Only love can reset your mind""
- RS-source: ""Only love can leave such a mark," Bono roars on what sounds like an instant U2 anthem. Will.i.am has already done what Bono calls "the most extraordinary" remix of the tune"
- RS-article: "familiarly chiming U2 anthem")

3. "Moment Of Surrender"
(- Q-source: "particular excitement was reserved for"; "a strident seven-minute epic recorded in a single take"; "sounds like a great U2 moment in the spirit of "One""
- Q-magazine: "georgiously melodic 7 minute song that already has the air of the U2 classic about it, with lyrics about dark stars and existential crises:"I did not notice the passers-by/And they did not notice me". Recorded in one take. This album's "One""
- RS-source: "this seven-minute-long track is one of the album's most ambitious, merging a TJT-style gospel feel with a hypnotically loping bass line and a syncopated beat""
-RS-article: "astonishing seven-minute"; "was played just one time — the band improvised the version on the album from thin air"
- Billboard: "more experimental fare"; "an electro-leaning track with an Eastern-inspired scale in the chorus, making it one of the weirder U2 tracks in decades.")

4. "Unknown Caller"
(- Q-source: "stately"; "was recorded in Fez and opens with the sounds of birdsong taped by Eno during a Moroccan dawn"
(- Q-magazine: "opens with the sound of birdsong recorded live in Fez. A middle eastern flavoured percussion loop drives this tale about a man"at the end of his rope" whose phone bizarrely begins texting him random instructions: "Reboot yourself","Password, enter here","You're free to go".
Dallas Schoo describes the song as "one of Edge's major solos in his life - you wont hear better than that on any other song""
- RS-source: "this midtempo track could have fit on ATYCLB. "The idea is that the narrator is in an altered state, and his phone starts talking to him," says the Edge"

5. "I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight"
(- Q-source: "straight up pop"; "the track Will.I.Am was taking a pass at"
- Q-magazine: "upbeat pop track with distinct echoes of 60's era Phil Spector, particularly the moment when its chorus disappears into a wash of reverb. Centres around the line: "I'll go crazy If I dont go crazy tonight""
- RS-source: "It's kind of like this album's 'Beautiful Day' — it has that kind of joy to it," Bono says. With the refrain "I know I'll go crazy/If I don't go crazy tonight," it's the band's most unabashed pop tune since "Sweetest Thing"
-RS-article: not mentioned
- Billboard: "classic U2 rocker")

6. "Get On Your Boots"
(- Q-source: "among other instantly striking tracks"; "a heaving electro-rocker that may mark the destination point the band had been seeking on POP"
- Q-magazine: "formerly titled "Sexy Boots", this demented electro grunge employs a proto-rockn'roll riff, but propelled into the future, with a hip-hop twist in the middle. Features Bono in flirtacious, self depreciating mode: "I dont wanna talk about wars between nations""
-RS-source: "the likely first single, this blazing, fuzzed-out rocker picks up where "Vertigo" left off. "It started just with me playing and Larry drumming," the Edge recalls. "And we took it from there""
-RS-article: "with a furry monster of a fuzz-guitar riff"; "power chords that, per Bono, echo the Damned's "New Rose"; verses that share a rhythm with "Subterranean Homesick Blues"; and a chorus that mixes whimsy and ardor: "Get on your boots/Sexy boots/You don't know how beautiful you are." "A hundred fifty beats per minute, three minutes, the fastest song we've ever played," Bono says, playing the tune at deafening volume in an airy studio lounge after dinner. "We're not really ready for adult-contemporary just yet."
-Alan Cross in his "twitter"-blog I: "expected to be heard on the radio within ten days, maybe sooner"; "a lot of electronic sounds"; "Larry plays some kind of electronic drums, too"; Bono rhymes "submarine" with "gasoline"";
"the original title was "Sexy Boots, then it was "Get Your Boots On", now it's "Get On Your Boots"; "the new U2 single will be called "Get On Your Boots" (note the subtle title change)"
- Alan Cross in his "twitter"-blog II: "some new sounds, that could only come from an Eno/Lanois production"; "left me with a feeling similar to what I experienced when I heard “The Fly” for the first time"; "not a back-to-basics guitar/bass/drums track like “Vertigo” or even “Beautiful Day”; there’s some definite sonic evolution going on here"; "it does rock" (no ballad); "Bono manages to rhyme “submarine” with “gasoline” and says something about “don’t talk to me about the state of nations”; "there’s a portion of the melody that somehow reminds me of the cadence of the verses in Elvis Costello’s “Pump It Up,” but as I write this, I’m not completely sure"; "part of the song reminded me of…something else"; "Did I like it? I didn’t hate it—but I need to hear it more before I really make up my mind about what I think about….anything to do with the song"; "filled with far more subtleties and complexities that anyone can hear with one listen"
- skott100: "opens with a drum fill, not unlike "Young Folks" by Peter, Bjorn & John"; "signature riff is muscular and catchy in the "Vertigo" vein, with a rapid fire vocal pattern"; "Alan Cross compared the verses to "Pump It Up" by Elvis Costello, and I can't say I disagree with that. It's evocative but I wouldn't call it a rip-off"; "chorus goes all middle eastern with Bono singing "You don't know how beautiful you are""; "half-tempo breakdown/bridge with a processed drum loop ... like John Bonham playing on a Massive Attack song before the song lurches back into the main riff for another verse and chorus"; "feels like a dense 7 minute epic crammed into about 3 and a half minutes"; "most striking are the drums"; "never heard so many layers of rhythm on a U2 song"; "a lot of very processed drums (I thought of Kasabian at one point and N*E*R*D* at another) and loops going on, coming in and out of the mix"; "at points it goes back to traditional sounding drums for emphasis"; "extremely tasteful, but complex enough to make my head spin"; "this is not U2 by the numbers"; "not a "return to form" or "back to basics""; "his is, what the kids like to call, some OTHER shit"; "the 21st Century version of U2"; "hey aren't looking back to their own catalog for inspiration anymore, if this song is any indication"
- Billboard: "classic u2 rocker; ""premieres Monday (Jan. 19) on Dublin's 2FM. It will be released digitally Feb. 15 and physically the following day"; "the group will perform "Get on Your Boots" Feb. 18 at the BRIT Awards ceremony in London"
- Dave Fanning: "the ‘Vertigo’ of the album - although a completely different kind of song"; "it’s very U2"; "a big song with lots of layers but not overproduced"; "great track")

7. "Stand Up Comedy"
(- Q-source: "swaggering"; "wherein U2 get in touch with their, hitherto unheard, funky selves - albeit propelled by some coruscating Edge guitar work, a signature feature of a number of the tracks"; "home to the knowing Bono lyric, "Stand up to rock stars/Napoleon is in high heels/Be careful of small men with big ideas.""
- Q-magazine: "rousing groove-based rocker with shades of Led Zep and Cream. Edge mentions that they're trying to keep Stand Up in a rough state and not overproduce it by putting it through Pro-Tools which cleans up imperfections"
- RS-source: "Stand Up Comedy"; "another hard rock tune, powered by an unexpectedly slinky groove and a riff that lands between the Beatles' "Come Together" and Led Zep's "Heartbreaker." Edge recently hung out with Jimmy Page and Jack White for the upcoming documentary It Might Get Loud, and their penchant for blues-based rock rubbed off: "I was just fascinated with seeing how Jimmy played those riffs so simply, and with Jack as well," he says"
- RS-article: "the words, which he keeps revising, have an almost hip-hop-like cadence: "Stand up, 'cause you can't sit down... Stop helping God across the road like a little old lady... Come on, you people, stand up for your love."; "We haven't quite gotten this right, and I'm the problem", Bono says of the tune, which is called "Stand Up Comedy" — at least for the moment. Tomorrow it will have new lyrics."; "the groove is slinkier than anything U2 have done in years."
- Dave Fanning: "the nearest thing they’ve ever done to Led Zeppelin.")

8. "Fez -- Being Born"
- Billboard: "more experimental fare".
- Apart from this not mentioned yet, but If it is identical with the working title track "Tripoli", we do know more:
- Q-magazine: "Bono talks about a song called "Tripoli", which is a guy on a motorcycle, a Moraccan french cop, whos going AWOL. He drives though France and Spain down to this village outside of Cadiz where you can actually see the fires of Africa burning"
- RS-source: "this strikingly experimental song lurches between disparate styles, including near-operatic choral music, ZOOROPA-style electronics, and churning arena rock"
-RS-article: "ambitious possible album opener, which violently lurches between different sections"; ""after-dark" song"; "one of those tunes, where, Bono says, "we allow our interest in electronic music, in Can, Neu! and Kraftwerk, to come out."")

9. "White As Snow"
- Yet not mentioned, but if it is identical with the working title track "Winter" (white snow = winter), we do know more:
(- Q-source: "featuring a fine Bono lyric about a soldier in an unspecified war zone, surrounded by a deceptively simple rhythm track and an evocative string arrangement courtesy of Eno"
- Q-magazine: "6 minute ballad. Echoes of Simon & Garfunkel in this poignant, acoustic string laden ballad about a soldier in the snow of Afghanistan. Will appear in the new film 'Brothers' starring Tobey Maguire about the emotional fallout of the war. Edge on backing vocals with Bono for Winter""

10. "Breathe"
(- Q-source: "particular excitement was reserved for"; "still a work in progress"; "Eno suggests, this is potentially both the best song the band had written and that he had worked on"
- Q-magazine: "Arabic cello gives way to joyful chorus. Brian Eno says this is U2's best ever song. It's 8pm and Eno, Bono and Will.i.am are on Olympic Studio 1 writing a cello part for a song called Breathe that U2 - a touch ambitiously - are only beginning to record in ths final fortnight, never mind mix – the singer belts out a rollicking vocal featuring door-to-door salesman, a cockatoo and a chorus that begins "Step out into the street, sing your heart out""
- RS-source: not mentioned
-RS-article: "tweaks on his computer what he (The Edge) estimates to be the 80th incarnation")

11. "Cedars Of Lebanon"
- Q-magazine: "Daniel Lanois instigated closer that finds Bono imagining himself as a weary, lovelorn war correspondent "squeezing complicated lives into a simple headline". Ends with the possibly telling line "Choose your enemies carefully cos they will define you""
- RS-source: ""On this album, you can feel what is going on in the world at the window, scratching at the windowpane," says Bono, who sings this atmospheric ballad from the point of view of a war correspondent"

Official tracklist (as confirmed by u2.com and billboard)

1. "No Line on the Horizon"
2. "Magnificent"
3. "Moment of Surrender"
4. "Unknown Caller"
5. "I'll Go Crazy if I Don't Go Crazy Tonight"
6. "Get On Your Boots"
7. "Stand Up Comedy"
8. "Fez -- Being Born"
9. "White As Snow"
10. "Breathe"
11. "Cedars of Lebanon"

possible bonus-track (thanx to Dan ...):
12. No Line On The Horizon (alternative version)

... great, great news, but of course the fate of "Every Breaking Wave", "Tripoli" (Movie OST or identical with #8?) and "Winter" (identical with #9?) is unsure ...

Wait a second...I just found the video on Alan Cross' blog with the heading "This guy claims that this is a 30 second preview of the new album. From my recollection, though, it’s not the single." Have we established that this is Finger Eleven and not U2? Someone here must have. Second, how the hell does Alan Cross (a Canuck right?) not recognize that band? I haven't heard them for at least four years and I don't live in Canada anymore so I would have no exposure, but I'm sure that's the former Rainbow Butt Monkeys.

Edit: OK, now I think it was just a joke that I was too slow to get...

^ possibly add to this that JB Hi-Fi are listing NLOTH alternate version as the bonus track
And I might add, that some seconds obvioulsy seem to have leaked, too.:wink: Regarding this not so perfect circumstance with only a few seconds of different song-elements available in a not top notch sound, I'd like to wait for a deeper analysis of what we really do knwo about GOYB until we have the official single out on Monday ...

Now with "Get Your Boots On" talking about the crisis in the Middle East, with "Cedars Of Lebanon" and obviously "White As Snow" pointing towards the same direction, I do feel that we can expect a renaissance of U2 topic songs – dealing with different perspectives on war and refugees. Got this vision even stronger while watching Bono belting out "Pride" worldwide live tonight also for Israel and the Palestinian people ... It will be a really interesting record ...:drool:

6. "Get On Your Boots"
(- Q-source: "instantly striking tracks"; "a heaving electro-rocker that may mark the destination point the band had been seeking on POP"
- Q-magazine: "demented electro grunge employs a proto-rockn'roll riff, but propelled into the future, with a hip-hop twist in the middle. Features Bono in flirtacious, self depreciating mode: "I dont wanna talk about wars between nations""
-RS-source: "blazing, fuzzed-out rocker picks up where "Vertigo" left off"
-RS-article: "a furry monster of a fuzz-guitar riff"; "power chords"; "a hundred fifty beats per minute, three minutes, the fastest song we've ever played," Bono says, playing the tune at deafening volume in an airy studio lounge after dinner"

A rocker, yes it is. Electro there is a lot, too, as there are the layers of pure electronic rhythm drums. And there might be a kind of "POP revisited" feeling, though I really do see more of a connection to the world of "Vertigo" and thus the very first album from 1980, with its punkish feeling, the bell sounds and Bono's belting out the lines in an emotional way.
And then there is much much more: the big chorus parts, the excellent fusion of different styles (though Hip Hop I really can not detect, instead I have a kind of Freddie Mercury flash with the "hey, hey, hey" at the end ...), also diving back into kind of Arabian melody lines as '91 and of course different, new guitar effects. Far moren than interesting this artistic statement is, it is really something new, a challenge for me to listen and for the band to perform the multiple layered tune with is breaks and changes live ... :wink:
PS: I don't think the 150 beats per minute do belong here. That quote might be a RS mistake and so it might be the point for another tune (No Line On The Horizon, as the Irish Independent perhaps quoted Bono ...). Oh yes, I DO LIKE IT, well done, boys...:up:

UPDATE (01/17/2009):wave:
9. "White As Snow"

Dave Fanning confirmed today, that "White As Snow" with its traditional air will be featured in the "Brothers" movie. So now we really do know, that it is identical with the working title track "Winter". We were right!:wink:

Yay so Winter really is on the album, it's just disguised as White As Snow. :D

I think FBB is Tripoli, it has basically the same description, In the interview between Alan Cross and Danny Lanois. :)

Nobody seems to be visiting this thread. :(

Dave Fanning confirmed today, that "White As Snow" with its traditional air will be featured in the "Brothers" movie. So now we really do know, that it is identical with the working title track "Winter". We were right!:wink:

:up: So Winter did make it on the album.

'Winter' gets straight to the point while 'White As Snow' seems to dance around the subject. As a title, Tripoli looks better than Fez - Being Born.

^ Maybe that's exactly what they wanted to avoid. Winter is something definite, White as snow has something more metaphorical, vague.

I don't know. Personally, I liked Winter better as a title. But I find Fez - Being Born rather intriguing. There must be a reason for a double title with a dash in between, not brackets. Maybe these are really two songs in one.

Four and a half year work for a Song wich other Bands would be thrown out of anyones office for that work.....well....seems to me many U2 Fans don´t care what the Band really delivers instead of they are delivering something even if its shite.

To me the new single isn´t worth anything its like a collection of song fragments so the inovation is really poor.
What is important that all Band members are not convidence with the whole work and the album, espacally Larry.

This single will flop, well the last single wich went on No.1 in the USA was "Still havn´t found"....that tells everything, even the Achtung Baby Singles didn´t reach the Top Chart positions also not the last two albums.
So in that case now with a complete differen´t style wich U2 hopes to gather new fans under the younger audiance, what i doubt, because they look like really old man, not verry sexy and stylish so the younger audiance will say: what does these blokes wanna do?
Getting back to the single and album wich has a difficult theme about Wars in the far east wich could be a slightly difficult theme be in the USA.....espacally when Bono said at the Memorial Concert.....also a Palastinian dream....well they bomb Israel every day and they are partners of the US the palestinan are not verry pleased about the US as well so i guess it could be a wrong theme to be for an album.

Also by someone who earns millions of dollars in sillicon vally with computer war games and on the other hand talking about peace and freedom......no style swagger no style....blablabla....

So in all these cases a third Bomb and releasing the Rick Rubin stuff had been a better choice.

My opinion and we will see how far they can go with this album......it will be a verry difficult time for the band.

A rocker, yes it is. Electro there is a lot, too, as there are the layers of pure electronic rhythm drums.

Well Lanois said to Alan Cross that all drums are hand-played:
"AC: Now I want to ask you about the drums. Are those electronic drums or is he triggering samples? They don’t sound acoustic…

DL: Oh, that’s an acoustic drum kit on there!

AC: It is?

DL: Absolutely, but there is a separate track that features kind of a bass drum loop that we did of Larry, and it runs along side of the main kit and is featured in certain sections of it. I quite like the marriage of hand-played and the electro combination. I think is very special."

P.S. Of course THANK YOU VERY MUCH ZooTVTourist... ...and keep us updated!

Well Lanois said to Alan Cross that all drums are hand-played:
"AC: Now I want to ask you about the drums. Are those electronic drums or is he triggering samples? They don’t sound acoustic…

DL: Oh, that’s an acoustic drum kit on there!

AC: It is?

DL: Absolutely, but there is a separate track that features kind of a bass drum loop that we did of Larry, and it runs along side of the main kit and is featured in certain sections of it. I quite like the marriage of hand-played and the electro combination. I think is very special."

P.S. Of course THANK YOU VERY MUCH ZooTVTourist... ...and keep us updated!
:up:

Four and a half year work for a Song wich other Bands would be thrown out of anyones office for that work.....well....seems to me many U2 Fans don´t care what the Band really delivers instead of they are delivering something even if its shite.

To me the new single isn´t worth anything its like a collection of song fragments so the inovation is really poor.
What is important that all Band members are not convidence with the whole work and the album, espacally Larry.

This single will flop, well the last single wich went on No.1 in the USA was "Still havn´t found"....that tells everything, even the Achtung Baby Singles didn´t reach the Top Chart positions also not the last two albums.
So in that case now with a complete differen´t style wich U2 hopes to gather new fans under the younger audiance, what i doubt, because they look like really old man, not verry sexy and stylish so the younger audiance will say: what does these blokes wanna do?
Getting back to the single and album wich has a difficult theme about Wars in the far east wich could be a slightly difficult theme be in the USA.....espacally when Bono said at the Memorial Concert.....also a Palastinian dream....well they bomb Israel every day and they are partners of the US the palestinan are not verry pleased about the US as well so i guess it could be a wrong theme to be for an album.

Also by someone who earns millions of dollars in sillicon vally with computer war games and on the other hand talking about peace and freedom......no style swagger no style....blablabla....

So in all these cases a third Bomb and releasing the Rick Rubin stuff had been a better choice.

My opinion and we will see how far they can go with this album......it will be a verry difficult time for the band.

Mmmm...I could use a "Song wich" right about now.

Back
Top Bottom