what was your first u2 album?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, I heard Rattle and Hum on casette in 1989 but it wasn't mine.. It wasn't until the sprin gof 1992 when I joined Columbia House and got 12 CDS and one of them was Achtung Baby..

First one was Achtung Baby when I was in High School. That CD was freaking amazing!!! So then I went back and got the rest; Boy, War, Unforgettable Fire, etc. Boy was I hooked right then and there!:p

2861U2 said:
My first U2 album was ATYCLB. I got it for my 14th birthday on 1-29-88.

Am the only one confused by this comment? You got All That you Can't Leave Behind in 1988? Wow!

UF when I was in 7th grade back in 1988 - was at a friend's house and I heard Pride for the first time....snatched up all their major releases prior to UF and have bought all major releases since then the day they went on sale. the soundtracks to my life.

I feel real old now. Thanks !!:sad:

whackjester said:

Am the only one confused by this comment? You got All That you Can't Leave Behind in 1988? Wow!

No, I was kind of confused also. I guess they mean that they got in on 1/29/01 (which is their birthday date), not on the actual day they were born 1/29/88?

Maybe, or Maybe not.

I think that the Joshua Tree was the first album that came out that really connected with me. I bought it upon release in 87 when i was in the 7th grade. at the time if you were to ask me what I was listening to I would have said Joshua Tree... nothing more. I must have listened to that album a thousand times... from start to finish. I have had that album on LP, cassette, and CD. It sucks though that I can't find my tape anymore. If I were to ever find my old walkman, I can guarantee it is in there. Not a song on that album I don't like.

I had heard both Achtung Baby and Joshua Tree a lot before I actually bought my first record (as well as all the ATYCLB singles that were out at the time) and my dad had the first Best Of which was available to me.

The first albums I bought, though, were Boy, Zooropa and The Joshua Tree (I bought the three of them together as my first step to really getting into U2!)

Last edited:
Achtung Baby, in April 1993. How and why I got it have made it a very sentimental album for me. And made me fall in love with U2. I then bought an album everytime I could afford one after that, starting with Boy.

Achtung baby - It was in 1992 I was 15 and it was the first album that I bought with my own money(babysitting) and subsquently the older u2 albums. To this day I have my orginal copy of AB that followed me from boom box, first CD player, first car, college, and then to my first job.

All that you can't leave behind --
I've only been a fan since 2000, that's when started learning that songs like with or without you came from some Irish group...called u2 or something......
Since then I've been collecting like crazy.....got about 50 official cd's now.....with singles, promo's etc etc........

I actually bought the beautiful day single first.....I constantly heard that tune during the olympics....on our national broadcast

I became a fan the summer Zooropa came out. I was working at a summer camp when a friend brought back the CD one weekend. I couldn't stop listening to Daddy's Gonna Pay for Your Crashed Car. I then proceeded to listen as much U2 as i could.

I recorded JT, RH, AB and Zooropa onto cassette at the end of the summer. When I got home, I bought a stereo and Zooropa. I still love it.

I also proceeded to collect all the singles from the 80's. I was very lucky because they were no longer pressing them. I am probably up to about 100 U2 CD's not including the material on my computer.

Crazy. But so good.

First one I bought was ATYCLB on the day it was released.
(only because my older brother is also a fan and has all the other albums.
However, I'm a bigger fan now then he ever was and I also bought MDH soundtrack, Passengers, BD single with Summer rain/Always, Elevation single with Don't take your guns to town/Tomb raider mix and Pavarotti concert in Modena - for that version of One.)

POP was my first U2 album. I really didn't get into U2 until the mid 90s, after Zooropa had already been out for a year or two. The frist video I saw was HMTMKMKM and I thought "holy cow, this is that 80s band that was so popular?" I bought POP but lost interest in it a couple years later. Then I got a used copy of JT and became addicted to it. Only a couple of years ago did I become a die-hard fan and had to buy everything with U2's name on it.

Late October, early November of 1984. Kidnapped older brother's Unforgettable Fire cassette and held for the ransom of my very own copy of the Unforgettable Fire. Ordeal was very long. Finally, peaceful resolution reached by Christmas Day 1984. Parents came up with the goods.

Regrets? Yes. I should of held out for every U2 release up to the UF.

Ah, I love the story of how I first got into U2. That magical summer of 1995. I was 13 years old, right in the middle of junior high, and I needed something of my own to believe in. For me, that was U2. Who knows what I would've become had I never been introduced to U2? Probably a druggie or a hick (I'm from the country).

My Dad had Rattle and Hum, and he would play it constantly. I hated it. I was into country music, and I wouldn't have that "stupid rock shit." On the 4th of July that year, we were all my Grandma's and they were watching VH1 Videos A-Z. I walked through the house, and Grandma was talking about how much she liked U2 (yep, I said that.) So I sat down and watched for a minute. THey showed 10 videos, the last being With or Without You. That song in particular blew me away, but the rest of them did too. I really liked New Years Day, One and Who's gonna ride your wild horses.

So I went out and had mom buy me the Joshua Tree. I think I had all the albums by Christmas of 1996. Here we are 9 years later, and my loyalty and fascination with U2 has continued to grow, and I keep finding new things I love about songs I've heard hundreds of times.

It was "The Joshua Tree", was an old cassette :cool: and my father gave us on 1989. Also Joshua Tree was my first CD, in 1991 !!! :wave:

My sister, although it was her fault I missed out on seeing them live during the Elevation tour, got me my first U2 album and I will love her forever for that. It was also my first really "good" album, i.e. my first album NOT by the Spice Girls or similar artists. :D

It was ATYCLB. I was like, twelve or thirteen at the time. I remember hearing Beautiful Day all the time and loving it. The radio played the entire album the day before it was released and all the songs really impressed me, so I begged my dad to get it for me one day when we were at a record store. He said no, but my sister surprised me with it sometime the following week!

Last edited:
"Live At Red Rocks" on vinyl...
Still have it but don't have a...
damn how do you call that machine again...

Joy to all

"Live At Red Rocks" too ! On an very old cassette owned by my sister.
Then, my brother gave me his "Achtung Baby" record.

And then, I can't remember the order !

i still have my AB!

i got best of 1990-2000 first

Back
Top Bottom